The road back

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
runlolarun
Tom Longboat

The road back

Postby runlolarun » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:46 am

Reposting from the general discussion section

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... I was a runner and a reasonably active member of this forum. I was really hoping for a daily thread today, but I guess I can't just slide back quite so quietly. Back in October 2011, I shredded my left meniscus like a piece of lettuce. I tried to rehab, hang in, lurked here but finally threw in the towel. In January of this year, 25 extra lbs later, I was finally fed up. Fast forward, now live in Verdun (Quebec, Canada) right at the start of the amazing waterfront park. Got a grip on myself and have finally shed the "I'm so sorry for myself" 25 lbs I had gained. Since April I have been doing 4 10K fast walks a week and I finally started free weights again about 2 weeks ago.

I have been missing (can even on a few occasions say I have been dreaming) about running since I was injured. Today I threw in about 3 K total of slow paced intervals into my walk. No pain! This settles it, I am starting couch to 5K tomorrow - I had been running mainly 1/2 K before being injured. Don't remember if there is a 5k at the Army Run, if so I am registering to keep me accountable and to have a goal. If not, I'll find something to keep me motivated. It is 8 weeks and 1 day until I turn 58. I want to give myself a 1/2 marathon as a birthday present on my 60th.

Wanted to give myself some accountability...

So far, so good. I have completed week 3 of the couch to 5k program. I repeat each daily program for my run, as I find there just isnt enough challenge to do a single session. I have not had any knee pain until yesterday. I am not too concerned, the pain really seems to be more patellar syndrome type pain, so I am going to take it easy for a couple of days. The biggest challenge is not to let myself pick up the pace, it was speed that killed my knee a few years ago. That being said, I am heading out soon for day 1 of week 4.

I dont think I will make it to the Army run. I have been spending money like a drunken sailor this summer, so I need to start scaling back. I have registered for a local event that takes place the weekend before Army Run, so I have something to work towards.

This feels so good - no more running envy every time I go walking on the waterfront and watch the runners!
"Why, sometimes I have believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast".
Lewis Carroll

Return to “The Scenic Route”