Rebuilding a bike

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Rebuilding a bike

Postby TriJenn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:15 pm

I have a 90s vintage road bike that I use to commute and it needs some work. I was thinking of rebuilding it with some new parts (crank, cassette, stem, chain) and will enlist the help of my mechanically inclined husband who knows nothing about bikes.

It has a biopace crank which I hate. It has a little tiny cassette which I could swap out for the 12/25 I have from my tri bike. I would like a shorter stem and the chain drops off when I go from the small chainring to the big one.

Is this just nuts? Should I buy a book? Anyone have any websites to recommend? Should I buy parts on ebay?

It would be good for me to do this since I have a hard time even changing a tyre. I could actually learn something.. :)

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Everything you need to know

www.sheldonbrown.com

I also own Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.

I personally tend to stay away from bottom bracket replacement, which you will need to do (probably) to replace the biopace.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:01 pm

I had such thoughts about a 88 Raleigh Super Grand Prix. Shop #1 listened to what I had to say & gave me prices for all the stuff so I could pick & choose. Was a real happy camper... decisions on new toys :D
I stopped by shop #2 & asked the same questions... perhaps I might get better prices, etc. What I got was, "don't do it... unless you really want me to take your money" :shock:
I have never been back to Shop #1. All my repair work is through Cycles St.Laurent in Ville St. Laurent. I have discovered over the course of time that they offer high quality service & the prices are the best in the Montreal area.

The moral of the story: It's an old bike, don't upgrade anything. If you really really like it, just replace the worn down parts... however if it costs more than a bike from Cdn Tire.... Aside from that, problems that you might have are (1) cassette may not fit on old hub & (2) new crank may not fit on old BB.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Since I had a few parts kicking around, I thought it might be fun. I will probably replace the crank on my tribike with a compact and I have the cassette already.

I may just replace the pedals and be done with it too. I have already replaced the saddle- that was hard ;)

Jenn
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Yes its nuts. Don't buy a book, buy a used bike that already has what you want. It will nickel and dime (hundred and two hundred) you to death. And you'll still end up with an old crate. Been there with several old cars and trucks, and most recently with my first tri bike.

Ron
coyote jogger

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Re: Rebuilding a bike

Postby SuperboB » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:33 pm

TriJenn wrote:Is this just nuts?

No. It sounds like fun.

TriJenn wrote:Should I buy a book?

If you plan to continuously do work on your bikes, yes. If not, try the library.

TriJenn wrote:Anyone have any websites to recommend?

Other than sheldonbrown, I recommend the Park Tool website (http://www.parktool.com/). You can also post questions in the Dark Side and there's several of us who are happy to answer questions.

TriJenn wrote:Should I buy parts on ebay?

I recommend eBay if part is rare, near your city, or it's a big ticket item for your racing bike. Shipping can kill any savings on commuter bike parts.

Lots of parts also available from local bike stores, MEC, & the bike co-op in Ottawa (http://www.re-cycles.ca/).
Up next...
More running!

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Re: Rebuilding a bike

Postby bicycle.boy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:13 am

TriJenn wrote:It would be good for me to do this since I have a hard time even changing a tyre. I could actually learn something.. :)

Good on ya for wanting to learn more about bikes! I recommend learning how to change a tube and tire first, then move on to the bigger project. :-)

Is such a project cost-effective? Not always. I bought a used Specialized Rockhopper XC mountain bike, and built it up on stuff mainly purchased from eBay. Would it have been cheaper to buy something brand-new with all the stuff on it? Yes. Did I learn heaps about bike maintenance? Yes!

The most important question here is about the frame. Is it a good, solid frame in good condition? If the frame casts even the slightest bit of doubt, then stop now and don't bother. If it's a quality (but heavier than the sun) frame that is solid, then go for it.

Old bikes are not always all they are cracked up to be, though. I love CotR's 18-year-old Schwinn that I now use as a commuter. But when I busted the rear wheel in a pothole, it took me about six-wheels to find a replacement. I needed something narrow enough to fit the old racing frame, that would take a freewheel. Not as easy as it sounds, unfortunately; not in Halifax, anyway.

If you have the parts kicking around from the tri bike, then yeah, give it a go, see what you can convert over. But use up what you have, or can pick up cheap/free from people discarding old stuff before spending a lot of money on it.
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:18 pm

this is the bike. It has a cromoly frame and currently it has Shimano 300 (ultegra) components. It has Campy wheels that are actually pretty light.

I likes it cause it's pink! :)

Jenn

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Oh I remember that picture now. I must reiterate that your commuter bag is lovely.

That bike looks worthy of a new chain or at least a cleaning/relube. What are you reasons for changing the crank and cassette?
Up next...
More running!

amesy
Bruce Kidd

Postby amesy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Do you have a bike commuters' club in near you?

In Edmonton we have a bike commuters' club, where you can pick up tips, borrow tools and pay small fees for recycled bike parts. Do you have anything like that in your city?

I'm hoping this year, I'll join up so I can learn a few basics.
Breath... it's what you do best.

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:18 pm

I don't know about Gatineau but Ottawa has a bike coop: http://www.re-cycles.ca/
It's a great place. I've volunteered there in the past as a mechanic.
Up next...
More running!

Return to “The Dark Side”