What shades do you use?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

What shades do you use?

Postby JacSprat » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:16 pm

I need new sunglasses. I've had Oakley M frames before but the last pair only lasted a year before they got scratched and pitted. I don't know how b/c I take really good care of them. For that reason I don't want to pay big $$ for another pair so am looking for a reasonably priced alternative.
I use them for cycling, running and kayaking. I'm putting this post in The Dark Side b/c cycling is the most demanding for me when it comes to shades. I don't want them to slip down my nose and I don't want to see the frame above my eye when I'm down on the dropped bars. I like the no frame ones best but doesn't have to be no frame if the design is right.

Any suggestions? What do you use?

Thanks!
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:03 pm

I wonder how they got scratched? I wear Oakley half jackets and haven't had a problem. I use them for driving, riding and running. I basically live in them :lol: and have not had a problem in 2 years. Although the paint is starting wear off/chip which I assume is from sweating all over them.

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:36 pm

I am a bit of a junkie as far as running glasses go. I have 2 pair of half jackets, a pair of Adidas evil eyes and two pair of Rudy Projects(not sure what they are called). I like them all!! I think overall I like the Rudy Projects the best, however, I get more comments from the fans on the half jackets. :D
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:41 pm

I have cheap sunglasses (less than $ 30)... :oops: This way, it doesn't matter if I scratch or lose them, which I tend to do.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Kelodie wrote:I have cheap sunglasses (less than $ 30)... :oops: This way, it doesn't matter if I scratch or lose them, which I tend to do.

ditto (except for the losing - but definitely scratch from dropping) - MEC Espresso with interchangeable lenses.
The frame is blue :)
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Go to a safety supply store and get some safety glasses, they cost less than $20, come in many shades and styles, UV protectant and the lenses are replaceable for a couple bucks.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Tri_K wrote:I wonder how they got scratched? I wear Oakley half jackets and haven't had a problem. I use them for driving, riding and running. I basically live in them :lol: and have not had a problem in 2 years. Although the paint is starting wear off/chip which I assume is from sweating all over them.

I have no idea. I'm always so careful with them. Put them away in their little bag everytime.
I'll check out some of these suggestions. Thanks.
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:33 pm

I have MEC Espresso frames. They have interchangeable lenses and it is cheap to replaces the lens.

link

I lose expensive sunglasses.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:45 pm

I have Ryders with interchangeable lenses (dark, clear, yellow). The frames fit my head perfectly, so that's really all I can ask for. Probably about fifty bucks at Sport Mart, I think they also sell the same ones at RR.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:45 pm

I wear (and swear by) Ryders. I currently have a pair of "Switch" with interchangeable lenses. I most often have the orange lenses in them as they do provide shade (for me) and really helps to crisp things up. I also have smoke & clear lenses. I use the clear for trail running/riding and running/riding in the rain. They're great for skiing too. Non-slip nose & ear pieces, so they don't slip around when you're all sweaty

K uses the MEC Espresso and always has a couple pair of safety glasses in the car just in case.. :wink:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm an Oakley fan - and just got a pair off Ebay for $80 - delivered in the box, with warranty card, etc....

I can post the seller if anyone is interested!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:00 pm

JacSprat wrote:
Tri_K wrote:I wonder how they got scratched? I wear Oakley half jackets and haven't had a problem. I use them for driving, riding and running. I basically live in them :lol: and have not had a problem in 2 years. Although the paint is starting wear off/chip which I assume is from sweating all over them.

I have no idea. I'm always so careful with them. Put them away in their little bag everytime.
I'll check out some of these suggestions. Thanks.

my oakley'S got scratched exactly 30 days after my brother bought them for me, and I was taking care of them like crazy in their little bag and a harder box... so yeah not impressed either by them. I still wear them but the scratch bugs me a lot.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Postby gwnorth » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:34 pm

I'm a heavy sweater and I find that my lenses tend to fog. Any recommendations for lenses that won't fog? I've seen some Adidas ones that have vents at the top of the frames, but they are way expensive. On the other hand, since I'll also be wearing them for riding I should probably go for prescription lenses.
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done
ATB 30k - Done
Mississauga 1/2 - Done
C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done
Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:43 pm

I got some from Moutain Equip Coop. They are dark for small face frame. They hold very well and are very cool. Only 30 dollars! I love them.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 6150987578
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:42 pm

I wear Oakleys...but mine are prescription ones. Bifocals...so...yes...cost a small fortune :roll:

I guard them with my life.

I like them.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

DeltaTrev
Bruce Kidd

Postby DeltaTrev » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

I have 2 sets of Oakley Half Jackets, one set has the "Transistion" lens, and gets most of the wear, its so useful the way the lens change according to the available light, especially on longer bike rides.

I've worn "Ryders" before, they offer a good product, at a reasonable cost, especially if your "hard" on glasses, you would only be out less than $50, instread of $100+ for Oakleys
A beer mile? it's just 4 beers, and 4 laps of a track....I'm good at the first part.

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Another nod for Ryders and MEC glasses.

I have both, and both with interchangeable lenses. Think I paid about $50 for each set with 3 lenses.

I have seen lots of kewl glasses (Adidas, Oakley, Rudy Project) that I am tempted by, but when I look at the price I have a hard time justifying it.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:03 pm

ViDi0T wrote:Another nod for Ryders and MEC glasses.

I have both, and both with interchangeable lenses. Think I paid about $50 for each set with 3 lenses.

I have seen lots of kewl glasses (Adidas, Oakley, Rudy Project) that I am tempted by, but when I look at the price I have a hard time justifying it.

Trust me...if I didn't need a prescription I wouldn't be wearing Oakley's. I have a very small face and the other more "generic" glasses do not fit. Hence going to an Optometrist for the Oakleys. With my prescription...my Oakleys cost me $600 :shock: :cry:

And sadly...I am not a candidate for corrective eye surgery.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Oakley has said they will replace my lenses for $100. I asked if I could put the $100 toward another model b/c I'm very tempted by these http://oakley.ca/radar. The water droplet repellent would be excellent for kayaking, where I end up not being able to see through the water that ends up on the lenses. But they said no :cry:
Still not sure what to do for here, still looking. I tried a MEC pair (Apollo) but they kept falling off my nose when I got sweaty (so dh now has them :D ). They didn't have much selection in Halifax though - thinking I'll check out MEC in TO when I'm there next week.
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm

So...I've been looking and testing sunglasses all this time.
Since the MEC purchase I tried on a pair of Oakley Radar that just happened to be eyeing me at the cycle shop. They felt awesome. As soon as I put them on I could feel the difference from anything else I'd tried. They also cost about $250 - though there are deals on ebay.

What I've purchased ? A pair from Walmart :shock: $24
A friend had them kayaking and I tried them - felt nice and comfy, good coverage - so I went out and bought a pair and tested them running tonight - they feel just fine. They're polarized too. If they don't work out it's no big loss and for now they seem to be doing the trick.

Thanks for all your help :D
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:54 pm

BJH wrote:I have MEC Espresso frames. They have interchangeable lenses and it is cheap to replaces the lens.

link

I lose expensive sunglasses.

same ones i have! I think sweetpea helped me pick mine out!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:54 pm

gwnorth wrote:I'm a heavy sweater and I find that my lenses tend to fog. Any recommendations for lenses that won't fog? I've seen some Adidas ones that have vents at the top of the frames, but they are way expensive. On the other hand, since I'll also be wearing them for riding I should probably go for prescription lenses.

I have those ones with a prescripiton insert - $400.00 including the prescription. I have a sunglass lens and a clear lens. I picked them over Oakleys (I can get a deal on them) because Oakley prescription lenses run about $300.00 - the Adidas ones, I can change my prescription or replace the sunglass lens for around $80.00 each.

The model that I have is the Gazelle Climacool Pro:

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:05 am

I just wear the clip ons over my prescription glasses. Nothing fancy.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Oakley M Frame :D

now I am poorer :(
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm

I also have the MEC Espresso and love that the lenses are interchangable. However, while cycling I find that the top edge of the glasses block my view while in the aero position, unless they are pushed up very high on my nose. But when I do that, they tend to fog more as the air doesn't circulate as well.

But for the price - and the fact that you can have multiple lenses - you can't beat them.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “The Dark Side”