Is there a Try a Tri event list?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Is there a Try a Tri event list?

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 am

I've been thinking I might like to try a mini tri this year. Does anyone know if there's an online event listing that shows where and when Try a Tri events are happening?
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:31 am

In Nova Scotia the Super Sprint is the same as a Try-a-Tri.

These are on the Atlanticchip.ca website. TRI NS doesn't have their website updated yet.

This one is a pool swim, pretty much a flat bike and run. It can be windy though, nothing terrible. It is at Shearwater.
Navy Trident Triathlon

This one was new last year, again a pool swim.
Greenwood

I've done both and really liked them.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:37 am

Lonerunner wrote:In Nova Scotia the Super Sprint is the same as a Try-a-Tri.

These are on the Atlanticchip.ca website. TRI NS doesn't have their website updated yet.

This one is a pool swim, pretty much a flat bike and run. It can be windy though, nothing terrible. It is at Shearwater.
Navy Trident Triathlon

This one was new last year, again a pool swim.
Greenwood

I've done both and really liked them.

Thx Lisa.
In a pool swim do you have to dive off the edge into the water or do you start in the water?
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:01 am

You start in the water, usually 2 people share a lane (each has a side of the lane). Someone is at the end of the lane to count laps for you and let you know when you have one lap left.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:40 am

Lonerunner wrote:You start in the water, usually 2 people share a lane (each has a side of the lane). Someone is at the end of the lane to count laps for you and let you know when you have one lap left.

Wow - only 2? That's pretty nice. Every pool tri I've done it's 4-6 to a lane.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:46 am

mmm...maybe I should be a specatator at one of these first. I can't even imagine manouevering around all those people. I guess everyone gets spread out pretty well but still - what if someone's coming towards you - is there like a keep to the right rule or something?
Clearly I have a lot to learn!
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:47 am

There's one in Bridgetown too. I think it's in July but I'm not sure.

I spent some time looking into this in the fall. NB and NS don't have much to offer in the try a tri area. I think a lot of people do the sprint as their first one which seems verrrry intimidating to me!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am

I have had alot of luck with this site:

http://www.eventsonline.ca/

I found my first tri (Oliver Sprint) on it :) For some reason, I thought it would be easier to do open water rather than pool for my first tri :roll:

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 am

babysteps wrote:There's one in Bridgetown too. I think it's in July but I'm not sure.

I spent some time looking into this in the fall. NB and NS don't have much to offer in the try a tri area. I think a lot of people do the sprint as their first one which seems verrrry intimidating to me!

Seems that way. I've been checking out the Atlantic Chip site and there are quite a few options for Sprint but haven't seen any specific for Try-a-Tri. I'd do a Sprint. I'd just call it a Try-a Tri :D
I'm going to look at Ontario as well b/c my work schedule will likely have me there in July for a week. Maybe a Try-a-Tri there that coincides.
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 am

JacSprat wrote:
Seems that way. I've been checking out the Atlantic Chip site and there are quite a few options for Sprint but haven't seen any specific for Try-a-Tri. I'd do a Sprint. I'd just call it a Try-a Tri :D
I'm going to look at Ontario as well b/c my work schedule will likely have me there in July for a week. Maybe a Try-a-Tri there that coincides.

If you're going to be in the Ottawa-Kingston area, check out www.somersault.ca There's one July 5 near Kingston and July 12 near Ottawa. Both have Try-a-trys (and lots of other distances to choose from)

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 am

JacSprat wrote:
babysteps wrote:There's one in Bridgetown too. I think it's in July but I'm not sure.

http://www.multisportcanada.com/ms/even ... hedule.cfm
http://www.trisportcanada.com/raceschedule.php
http://www.somersault.ca/triathlons.htm
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 am

FishPants wrote:I have had alot of luck with this site:

http://www.eventsonline.ca/

I found my first tri (Oliver Sprint) on it :) For some reason, I thought it would be easier to do open water rather than pool for my first tri :roll:

Thx FP! that looks like a great site :D
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks for all the sites. I'm going to check them all out, write down my options and see what happens.....

Of course I first have to learn how to do the front crawl :lol: 10 wks of lessons begin next Sunday.. :D
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 pm

JacSprat wrote:Thanks for all the sites. I'm going to check them all out, write down my options and see what happens.....

Of course I first have to learn how to do the front crawl :lol: 10 wks of lessons begin next Sunday.. :D

Not necessarily. At the try-a-tri distance you will see every stroke under the sun. Lots of breast stokers! I know that first one is so intimidating but everyone is in the same boat.

Manouvering around the people isn't hard. The faster swimmers know how to pass. I think the best thing you can do is have an idea of how long the swim will take you so you can seed yourself accordingly. Every year I get some girl in my lane that says my 1000m time is 30mins and then she flies past me (mine is 25mins) because they took their time prior to training and didn't account for race adrenaline.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:17 pm

I want to do the Bridgetown one...one day. I lived nine years of my life in that little Stephen King town (long story behind that).

My parents live 10 minutes away.

The only thing holding me back is the swimming in the Annapolis River part....I know that river all too well...and it scares me.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:46 pm

CdnArtyWife wrote:I want to do the Bridgetown one...one day. I lived nine years of my life in that little Stephen King town (long story behind that).

My parents live 10 minutes away.

The only thing holding me back is the swimming in the Annapolis River part....I know that river all too well...and it scares me.

You know, surprisingly I've never been in the river. In fact, I wasn't aware it was even okay for swimming.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Tri_K wrote:
JacSprat wrote:Thanks for all the sites. I'm going to check them all out, write down my options and see what happens.....

Not necessarily. At the try-a-tri distance you will see every stroke under the sun. Lots of breast stokers! I know that first one is so intimidating but everyone is in the same boat.

Manouvering around the people isn't hard. The faster swimmers know how to pass. I think the best thing you can do is have an idea of how long the swim will take you so you can seed yourself accordingly. Every year I get some girl in my lane that says my 1000m time is 30mins and then she flies past me (mine is 25mins) because they took their time prior to training and didn't account for race adrenaline.

That's good to know. I was thinking everyone would be swimming the crawl.
I signed up for lessons because I want to learn the crawl and use that as part of my exercise program. Good to know it's not a prerequisite for Tris though .
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:12 pm

If you do one in Ontario, you might be able to convince Sofi and I to join in :whistle:

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:13 pm

How exciting!! I hope you share your journey with us. I did my first try a tri this summer - two of them in fact. It was a blast - I survived which was the goal for the swim. I am most comfortable with front crawl but that first swim was a medley of front crawl/breast stroke and I am sure I made up my own form quite a few times to make it through!

Btw- my second try a tri swim went much better.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:58 pm

I did every tri leading up to my 1/2IM with breast stroke. I even did some of the 1/2IM swim breast stroke! It's a great stroke to see where you are going, to get around buoys, and to fight chop.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:38 pm

BJH wrote:http://www.multisportcanada.com/ms/events/race_schedule.cfm

Thnaks for the links! I have been meaning to travel to Kitchener/Waterloo to visit an old friend for the longest time. I would like to time it with a race as well!
Question: Which of these events is in/near Waterloo????
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:52 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:

Thnaks for the links! I have been meaning to travel to Kitchener/Waterloo to visit an old friend for the longest time. I would like to time it with a race as well!

The season starts in Waterloo with a Duathlon.

http://www.trisportcanada.com/victorias.php

Guelph Lake, Belwood, Milton, Grimsby (Niagara Tri/Du) and Binbrook are all within about 45 minutes of K-W.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:45 pm

anners wrote:If you do one in Ontario, you might be able to convince Sofi and I to join in :whistle:

It was Sofi's idea originally :D I'm in the prep stage - mentally do I wanna, and physically figuring out what I'll need to do to prepare. Be great if we can all do one together.
Jacqui

------------------------

MyTraining

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:53 pm

I might check out a Try a tri in June from Lakeside. I have a swimming background and some running, though not sure about the bike part :shock:

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:49 pm

BJH wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:

The season starts in Waterloo with a Duathlon.

http://www.trisportcanada.com/victorias.php

Guelph Lake, Belwood, Milton, Grimsby (Niagara Tri/Du) and Binbrook are all within about 45 minutes of K-W.

Super! I shall have to put Victoria's Du on the possible to-do list!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “The Dark Side”