Tour de France 2009 - Guaranteed doping free thread

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Cervello got a first and 6th place today. Hushovd has the green shirt. Yay for the Canadian-owned team!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Quite the back and forth battle for Green this year!

Does anyone else think that Hushov looks a bit like a young Mats Sundin? :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Tour Riders Hit With Pellet Gun

http://www.velonews.com/article/95303
"The body is a serveant of the mind"

DeltaTrev
Bruce Kidd

Postby DeltaTrev » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Love the Tour....but watching knowing that nothing is going to happen on GC, is like watching paint dry.......Everyday, a breakaway, a chase, a sprint........the Alps, and then Mt. Ventoux cannot come quick enough......I think the organisers though that loading it all up, with Mt. Ventoux deciding it all was a great plan, but this years route, time trial placement, etc, is uninspiring so far......even "Bobke" is finding it hard to stay "super excited" this year.
A beer mile? it's just 4 beers, and 4 laps of a track....I'm good at the first part.

DeltaTrev
Bruce Kidd

Postby DeltaTrev » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 pm

runningman wrote:Tour Riders Hit With Pellet Gun

http://www.velonews.com/article/95303

Here's hoping the shooter has a good getaway plan........His/her life won't be worth much in France, if they identify the idiot.
A beer mile? it's just 4 beers, and 4 laps of a track....I'm good at the first part.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:27 pm

DeltaTrev wrote:Love the Tour....but watching knowing that nothing is going to happen on GC, is like watching paint dry.......Everyday, a breakaway, a chase, a sprint........the Alps, and then Mt. Ventoux cannot come quick enough......I think the organisers though that loading it all up, with Mt. Ventoux deciding it all was a great plan, but this years route, time trial placement, etc, is uninspiring so far......even "Bobke" is finding it hard to stay "super excited" this year.

I'm not an expert on the Tour or cycling but I'd like to see everyone get their actual time. That sure would liven things up rather than all the leaders just staying in the peleton for most of the whole freaking tour.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm

DeltaTrev wrote:Love the Tour....but watching knowing that nothing is going to happen on GC, is like watching paint dry.......Everyday, a breakaway, a chase, a sprint........the Alps, and then Mt. Ventoux cannot come quick enough......I think the organisers though that loading it all up, with Mt. Ventoux deciding it all was a great plan, but this years route, time trial placement, etc, is uninspiring so far......even "Bobke" is finding it hard to stay "super excited" this year.

I dunno... some of you watch and enjoy hockey. To me, it's just a little black puck that gets passed over and over again. They pass it to the same guy all the time, who attempts to put it in the net... same boring game over and over! (to me!) :)

I'm really enjoying the T de F
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:28 am

trixiee wrote:

I dunno... some of you watch and enjoy hockey. To me, it's just a little black puck that gets passed over and over again. They pass it to the same guy all the time, who attempts to put it in the net... same boring game over and over! (to me!) :)

I'm really enjoying the T de F

haha
I like to watch the little black puck but I also enjoy the tour. I can admit I don't have a great understanding of it yet so I'd never call it boring. I like the sprints and have to wonder, where the hell they find the energy in their legs so late in a race to jack it up like that at the end. Being new into cycling I can really now appreciate the shape these guys are in which makes it much more enjoyable.
Oh, and lots of players score goals, not the same guy all the time :lol:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:41 am

I know everyone's waiting for Lance vs. Contador, it's coming, but in the meantime there's a lot going on...

Take yesterday, you have to be excited about a Canadian team doing so well... Hushhovd in green and a stage win by Haussler, a one-two Cervelo test team punch! I love it when a break-away succeeds, and the rain added that much more intrigue.

Next week is going to be crazy awesome... starting tomorrow (Sunday).

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Garrett
Tom Longboat

Postby Garrett » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:56 pm

newbie question: Are all riders that cross the finish line in the peloton given identical times?

I'm a little confused with Contador nor Armstrong not losing or gaining any time on Nocentini or each other.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 pm

bmotds wrote:newbie question: Are all riders that cross the finish line in the peloton given identical times?

I'm a little confused with Contador nor Armstrong not losing or gaining any time on Nocentini or each other.

Yes ... and, if I recall, if someone crashes within with the last 3K, they get the same time as the peloton that they were riding in ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

runningman
Bruce Kidd

Postby runningman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm

Interesting article about Hincapie not getting the yellow jersey today:

http://www.velonews.com/article/95404

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm

HCmD wrote:
bmotds wrote:newbie question: Are all riders that cross the finish line in the peloton given identical times?

Yes ... and, if I recall, if someone crashes within with the last 3K, they get the same time as the peloton that they were riding in ...

Yup. Happened to Levi and Cadel Evans last week.

Exciting stage today! I don't want to give it away in case people are watching the evening broadcast, but nice to see so many finishes coming down to the wire like that.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Wondering if Lance Armstrong has really conceded to being Contador's Domestique, as he heads for his second Tour de France Champiionship, or will he take one final stab and attacks at the next Mountain Stage, now that he is about 1:36 behind, but in 2nd place overall ??? :think::think:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Never say never... but he looked like he had nothing yesterday. Couldn't respond to Contador, or Schlek, or Sastre... and if it weren't for Kloden it might have been even worse.

jono
Visit my blog!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:41 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Never say never... but he looked like he had nothing yesterday. Couldn't respond to Contador, or Schlek, or Sastre... and if it weren't for Kloden it might have been even worse.

jono

Perhaps, playing chicken ?? still too early to show all his cards ... he is the Grand Master, afterall :wink:

No need to chase down his own team mate ... :P

It will be interesting to see where he stands after the next/final Individual TT ... if he's close, could be an interesting Final Mountain Stage :twisted: :twisted:

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:41 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Never say never... but he looked like he had nothing yesterday. Couldn't respond to Contador, or Schlek, or Sastre... and if it weren't for Kloden it might have been even worse.

jono

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about Lance. No matter what though, I think he's doing pretty damn well after 4 years out to still be in 2nd place. But he did look a little done for yesterday. But looks can be deceiving. Either way, I'm impressed with him, and think he has brougt a lot of excitement back to the event.

Contador himself, was absolutely amazing on that climb. He made it look simple, when everybody else looked like they were suffering. Pretty impressive ride.

However this ends, I think Astana is going to come out with a pretty impressive race.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeah, he's awesome. I mean he's not dominating, but he's still in 2nd place! Not bad for an old man. :lol:

I hope he follows through on his comment that he wants to eventually do Ironman, that would be a hoot.

jono
Visit my blog!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Let's hear it for AG2R who was kept Yellow for a few stages. Nice to see the smaller teams wear it... even for a short while.
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 pm

:shock: :shock: OMG :shock: :shock: Healing thoughts for Jens Voigt :pray::pray::pray:
Voigt in hospital after horrific crash
By:Susan Westemeyer
Published: July 21, 18:22,

Jens Voigt (Team Saxo Bank) was taken to hospital after his crash in the 16th stage of the Tour de France. While descending the Col du Petit-Saint-Bernard, the German's front wheel slipped away and he went down on his shoulder and head, sliding several metres along the road. The race doctor who attended to him at the scene said that Voigt briefly lost consciousness.

"He is seriously injured, but conscious. He was able to move," said a visibly shaken team manager Bjarne Riis to the German press agency dpa.

A motorcycle carrying a photographer narrowly avoided hitting the fallen 37-year-old. "I saw him laying there with closed eyes and blood on his face," the driver said, adding that he had suspected the worst.
Voigt's fellow German Linus Gerdemann of Team Milram said "When you see a crash like that, nothing else much matters. It gives you goose bumps."

Voigt was part of the race-long break which went clear in the opening kilometres in advance of the Col du Grand-Saint-Bernard. Voigt was dropped on the day's second climb, the Col du Petit-Saint-Bernard, but remained with the yellow jersey group containing the Schleck brothers over its summit before crashing on the descent.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:51 pm

HCmD wrote::shock: :shock: OMG :shock: :shock: Healing thoughts for Jens Voigt :pray::pray::pray:

Just heard from Frank Schleck that Jens is doing ok. Good news.
-Lance twit.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Lance was pretty amazing (as was Sastre) today, jumping the gap to re-catch the Contador train near the top of that last climb.

What's a "Lance twit"? Sounds not very nice...shouldn't it be a tweety-pie?
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:01 am

I thought that was a great race yesterday. They were counting Lance out when he missed that break, and then he just made it look simple jumping that gap. He passed Frank Schleck like he was standing still. That must have been a bit of a shock for Frank.

I think I want to do a decent for 30minutes, but just not sure I want to do the climb to begin with. :shock:

FishHog

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:10 am

FishHog wrote:I thought that was a great race yesterday. They were counting Lance out when he missed that break, and then he just made it look simple jumping that gap. He passed Frank Schleck like he was standing still. That must have been a bit of a shock for Frank.

I think I want to do a decent for 30minutes, but just not sure I want to do the climb to begin with. :shock:

FishHog

The way that Lance surged, I still think he may be sandbagging a bit, and will pull some magic in the ITT tomorrow and the final stage on Saturday ... Afterall, why attack now, and leave a few days for a counter attack by the other Top Contenders .... That is, as long as he continues to stay within the 1:36 or so from Contador ...

Still having visions of Jens Voigt crashing out at 60-80kph and almost being run over by the motorcycle as he was sliding on the road .. :shock: :shock: The irony of it was, listening to the Commentators earlier, commenting on how he always seem to have bad luck in the Tour ... ie. flatting out on Sunday while in the break-away and his team mechanic taking forever to change his rear wheel, for example .... Not sure how the Fleck Brothers (sp??) will do now, without him leading them on over the final few days :?

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:45 am

I'm kind of think the same thing Andy, I think Lance might have a little more in him. Either way, he sure isn't the "has been" that some thought he would be coming back to the Tour.

That crash was damn scary, and I'm sure the motorcycle driver was a little freaked out there also. He didn't have much road to go around him on. Very lucky that wasn't much worse.

Return to “The Dark Side”