Riding in wind. 40 km/hr & gusts of 50km/hr

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Riding in wind. 40 km/hr & gusts of 50km/hr

Postby a_beacher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some helpful hints on riding in very windy conditions especially "wind guts". I went out today and the wind was NW 39 km/hr. So, my plan was to do a short ride east with some hills and then come home with a bit of a tailwind . Well, it was very windy and the crosswind was a challenge but I was doing great until I found "gusts". Wind Gusts were 50km/hr. They appear ed at intersections, out of nowhere and BAM!, I felt like the wind had more control over my bike than I did. This was most noticeable to me when I was riding downhill and gaining speed. I found that if I slowed down it wasn't so bad. So, is that the idea? Ride slower? I usually ride with a soft grip on my handlebars but today I needed to hold a little tighter. I was riding alone but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like those conditions on a group ride.

Anyway, I don't think there is a "magic answer" but thought that you might have a few suggestions that might help. Does it get easier with practice? :twisted:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Riding in wind. 40 km/hr & gusts of 50km/hr

Postby La » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

I noticed the gusts on my bike ride home from work. One of them blew me sideways and I almost hit the curb with my front wheel. And this is on my super-heavy MTB!

Constant wind is easier to deal with because you just compensate by leaning one way or the other (if they are cross winds). But gusts are tough because you never know when they're coming. Generally speaking, on descents you can hug your top tube with your knees, which will give you more stability and not feel like you are being blown around. Also, get out of your aerobars as your centre of gravity will be further back and more stable if you are a bit more upright.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Slowing down will help you control the bike better.
During winter, I was speeding down the sidewalk when I got caught in bad weather. The winds blasted me sideways ... right into a chain link fence :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Heh... just got back from my ride, same deal, ridiculous out there! A few gusts gave me some "wowsah" moments.

I just try to stay low and aero, but ultimately you just need to keep your whits about you and use those bike handling skills to stay upright!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:43 pm

I find cursing, really loudly, helps a great deal with strong winds. That, staying down and not running a deep rim front wheel. But mostly the cursing.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 pm

1Ironatatime wrote:I find cursing, really loudly, helps a great deal with strong winds. That, staying down and not running a deep rim front wheel. But mostly the cursing.

concur.

f'ng wind.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 am

It was bad here too. Tried to go aero but just felt like I didn't have any control! Took me 1.5 hours to do a 25k ride.. Yuk.

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks guys! I'll curse the wind, keep my whits about me and slow down. :D

I certainly didn't enjoy my ride yesterday but the weather today is lovely so I made up for it with a 3 hour ride. It was a great ride. You know those rides where you feel really strong and could go forever? Yup, I had one of those! I'm a happy rider today! :D

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:55 pm

a_beacher wrote:Thanks guys! I'll curse the wind, keep my whits about me and slow down. :D

I certainly didn't enjoy my ride yesterday but the weather today is lovely so I made up for it with a 3 hour ride. It was a great ride. You know those rides where you feel really strong and could go forever? Yup, I had one of those! I'm a happy rider today! :D

Awesome!

My bike is back on the trainer for a few days - the weather here has turn to crud and I do not do wind gusts on the bike (at least for training).

Return to “The Dark Side”