Biking Across Canada - FINISHED!!

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Re: Biking Across Canada

Postby fe.RMT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Madame Bourette wrote:http://www.tourducanada.com/

This is the Tour I did in 2003 (full) and in 2004 (Golden BC to Toronto).

It is a non profit tour that operate on a coop basis. I think it's easier and cheaper than going solo. (Many tents on one camping site and group grocery so lot of savings.) Luggage are carried by truck and the driver do the groceries.

What I did not enjoy was the lack of flexibility but I liked to not worry about logistic.

Same company that did my Toronto-Montreal tour.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks, Eric! Good to see you here again! :D
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:56 am

La wrote:Thanks, Eric! Good to see you here again! :D

I still visit the Dark Side once in a while.

I would really like to do the CycleCanada's Arctic Tour. Do you have any reviews or Feedbacks? Hélène worries about the big big bull flies overthere. This is not off-topic because I cycled across Canada but I missed one ocean and one huge part of the country. That would complete my Coast to Coast to Coast Journey.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Madame Bourette wrote:
La wrote:Thanks, Eric! Good to see you here again! :D

I still visit the Dark Side once in a while.

I would really like to do the CycleCanada's Arctic Tour. Do you have any reviews or Feedbacks? Hélène worries about the big big bull flies overthere. This is not off-topic because I cycled across Canada but I missed one ocean and one huge part of the country. That would complete my Coast to Coast to Coast Journey.

Yes, welcome back Eric!

I'm doing the Confederation Trail in PEI in a couple of weeks. It is only about 250k on pretty good trails.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 am

drghfx wrote:
Yes, welcome back Eric!

I'm doing the Confederation Trail in PEI in a couple of weeks. It is only about 250k on pretty good trails.

Good for you, Dennis! I wish I had spend more time in PEI. Take your time and Enjoy.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 am

drghfx wrote:

we rode the Confederation trail when we were out there in 2003. It's really nice, but to be honest I enjoyed riding the roads more, there was more to see. Did you also know they have a 'badge' program out there for riding tip to tip?

http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-tip-to-tip-tour
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm

I saw Bryan last night right after he rode into town from Belleville, ON (186K in 8h 44m). He's a thin guy to begin with, but he was looking almost as gaunt as Lance last night! :shock: He needs to eat more, that's for sure.

From today's blog post:
From here I head towards Tobermory and the ferry to Manitoulin and on up to the Trans Canada.

Totals to date... 14 days of riding from St John's to Toronto...2,338 km (avg 167 km per day)... and I'm now basically 1/3 done.

Oh, and that big 5-alarm fire in the east end of TO yesterday... it was one street over from his house, so as he was riding home, seeing the smoke in the distance he kept thinking, "God, I hope that's not MY place on fire!" :lol:

It was pretty smokey in their back yard. I even got ash on me while sitting outside!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

He's in Salmo, BC. Hopes to be in Keremeos by Friday, Vancouver on Monday, Victoria on Tuesday - then he's done!

Here's how Day 37 went:
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Day Thirty Seven: Salmo, B.C. Longest, hardest hill ever, 34 kms straight uphill on 6 thousand ft pass. Got cheers from motorcyclists resting at top when finished. Even trucks were grinding their gears and moving at 20 km going up. Might be the hardest one of the trip. Apparently others are not as long or as continuous. Finally finished and wound up at cycling enthusiasts motel with signed photo of Lance Armstrong on the wall. The owner used to be a national track cyclist.
167 kms-6 hrs

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 am

WOW!!
What an amazing feat :)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 am

I am going to try and see the finish on Tuesday so Keep us posted
IMC 2015

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 am

Running goddess wrote:I am going to try and see the finish on Tuesday so Keep us posted

I don't think there'll be any great fanfare. It's just him and his bike. And I only get updates after the fact. He has family in Victoria, so I'm guessing he's riding to their place.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:28 am

fe.sweetpea wrote:
drghfx wrote:

we rode the Confederation trail when we were out there in 2003. It's really nice, but to be honest I enjoyed riding the roads more, there was more to see. Did you also know they have a 'badge' program out there for riding tip to tip?

http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-tip-to-tip-tour

First off, congrats to Bryan on a great achievement.

Yes, I got the certificate! I actually did the true tip to tip. I started at the North Cape lighthouse and pedalled the 13 k to the start of the Confederation Trail and then pedalled the 9 k from the end at Elmira to the lighthouse at East Point.

Yes, the roads are actually more scenic. The eastern section of the trail around Morell and St. Peter's was very scenic though.

I might post a picture of me in my RM shirt at East Point in the RM Shirt Travels thread.

Cycle book/maps are here for anyone who is interested. http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-confederation-trail

I did the Iona/Murray's Harbour and Georgetown/Mount Stewart Trails last year. I might do the rest this fall or next year.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Brian actually updated his post from yesterday about riding the Kootenay Pass. Here is the revised version (from what I posted above):
Day Thirty Seven: Cranbrook to Salmo, B.C. Longest, hardest hill ever, 34 kms of continuous uphill... not even one little flat break on the way to the top of the 6 thousand ft Kootenay pass and I did it without taking a break... mainly because I had no idea how long it was until I actually got to the top! Got cheers from motorcyclists resting at top when finished. It was the hardest climb I have ever done... Even trucks were grinding their gears and going so slow, it took them 15-20 seconds to pass me. One of the trucks was a Kokanee beer truck... I almost cried at the thought of all the cold beer just inches away. The reward was a 30k downhill where I did not pedal once... but had to stop to let brakes and wheel rims cool down! Finally finished the day and unbelievably, wound up at a motel run by an ex track cyclist, with signed photo of Lance Armstrong on the wall.
194 kms-9hrs 26 mins. Total to date 6,240km.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Biking Across Canada - almost done!!

Postby La » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:59 am

Brian is scheduled to be finished his ride today, taking the ferry across from Tsawassen and ending up in Beacon Hill Park. Not sure what the scheduled arrival time is. He hasn't updated the blog since Sunday. :?

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Re: Biking Across Canada - almost done!!

Postby drghfx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 am

Well done! Congratulations!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Biking Across Canada - FINISHED!!

Postby La » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:44 pm

He made it! He lost 15 pounds in the process, but he's done (and a day early at that). Happy 50th Birthday, Brian! :D

Tuesday, August 3, 2010
FINISHED!!!
Let the healing (mental and physical) begin. I actually arrived in Victoria yesterday (Monday August 2nd) but celebrating seem to get in the way of updating the blog.

My final day on the road was short... just 91km but was not without a last couple of challenges as I ended up doing 2 furious time trials... the first was over the last 10km to make the next ferry and save myself an hours wait (made it with less than a minute to spare)... and then a second all out sprint to the end through the streets of Victoria after being slowed up by some construction and knowing that Carmel and family/friends were waiting on me. I ended up missing my predicted arrival time by 9 mins... but that's not too bad after over 7000kms of riding!

The official finish was the mile "0" marker in Beacon Hill park in Victoria, where the TransCanada ends (begins?). Carmel and everyone were there waiting and I basked in my moment of glory as I was showered with champagne.

As I sit here the morning after... I feel a little lost. It seems strange to not be doing the usual routine of packing up and rolling out for another day of pedalling. The whole thing feels surreal and it will take some time to unwind and settle back into "normal" life. I'll post some final reflections on my journey in a few days but for now, here are the raw details. Despite what I said before I started, my competitive side took over once I got going and I did turn this into a race to see how fast I could get across the country and of course, to try and beat my birthday (which I did by 2 days!)

Number of days on the road: 42
Number of days actually riding: 40 (2 days off very early on for bike problems and visiting family)
Total distance: 7009 kms
Average distance per day: 175.2 kms (or 108.9 miles)
Longest single day: 235km (10 days over 200km)
Shortest day: 91km (the final day)
Total time on bike (just pedaling... not including stops): 339 hrs 25 mins
Average time in saddle per day: 8 hrs 29 mins
and finally... Weight at finish: 150.5 lbs (start was ~165... so lost almost 15 lbs... but I'll be doing my best to drink that back on over the next little while)

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:48 pm

tough way to loose 15lbs but a fantastic feat.
My "taint" hurts just thinking about it.

congrats to Brian, and thanks to La for keeping us updated.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

FishHog wrote:tough way to loose 15lbs but a fantastic feat.

FishHog

Mine too! I wonder if he has a sore butt??

Awesome, simply awesome!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 pm

FishHog wrote:tough way to loose 15lbs but a fantastic feat.

FishHog

+1

Amazing feat.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Very, very, very impressive. :D What a great way to celebrate your 50th birthday!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Very well done.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “The Dark Side”