IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

Postby trixiee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 am

seuss wrote:conquering hero is home - looks pretty spiffy in his finisher swag. Thing 2 won a great bag'o'swag that mr seuss is trying to barter for contents.

Awww, how lovely! :D :dance:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 am

seuss wrote:
La wrote:Thanks for the update, seuss. Did he get his medal, hat and shirt? When my friend crossed at 17:15 back in 2006 they gave her the finishing gear.

Running out of water at aid stations?? At Ironman? That's pretty bad. :(

not at the time. could be because he stumbled right at the finish and was scooped up in a wheel chair to the med tent.

he spoke to the race director last night at the dinner. she was full of excuses - powerade instead of gatorade meant athletes took more water, and that it was hot so athletes were using it to cool themselves. really - how unpredictable! as she put it "well these things happen - just like a flat." not really the same.

then he spoke to the CEO - he should be able to get his finisher swag tonight when he takes the Things to the volunteer dinner.

it's southern BC in August. Of course it's going to be hot. That's a given. :roll: Were they born yesterday?

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:13 am

Just talked to a co-worker - he finished in a bit over 12 hours and said they were running out of ice when he went through. He poured some water on his head while they were saying "don't do that" :). 32 degrees and you're not going to need something to cool down? Yeesh. Anyways, congrats to him (first IM, he rocked it) and to all the RM people who were on the course - you guys have a commitment to training I can't fathom.

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:57 pm

This really comes down to planning. I am certain the RD and Race Crew did their best to react on race day to rectify the situation but were behind the 8-ball trying.

In the race I help organize I had 15 jugs of water and 6 jugs of Gu Brew on the course. We only used about a third of that amount but this year it rained. If it was a hot sunny day would 3x what I used today be enough? It is a guess but you usually try to aim high. What I ask my supplier is give me more than I need and I will return what I don't use.

I also had the opportunity to participate in the London (England) Triathlon this year. 20,000 participants over 2 days. This year was in a heat wave (relative term for London) and they were throwing water on the participants as we were passing the water station. No need to douse yourself. They were well prepared with skids upon skids of water accessible by both sides of the course with forklift or boat with a crane.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Any major issues with the st*pid tack-@$$-man this year on the bike course? Been hearing about a few athletes getting flats again .. :shock: :? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:15 pm

even "big races" like Vancouver marathon run out of water. I'm still pissed about that!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Just for the record, those BOP racers who didn't get off the bike until 4pm or even 5pm didn't have to do much of their run in the brutal heat, it cooled down quickly when the sun went down.

I think they should definitely have given finisher's swag to that guy that missed the swim cutoff by 10 sec and also to Sister Madonna as she wasn't that much over the bike cut off. The time cutoffs don't mean anything really, it's the effort that counts.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Mark. wrote:Just for the record, those BOP racers who didn't get off the bike until 4pm or even 5pm didn't have to do much of their run in the brutal heat, it cooled down quickly when the sun went down.

I think they should definitely have given finisher's swag to that guy that missed the swim cutoff by 10 sec and also to Sister Madonna as she wasn't that much over the bike cut off. The time cutoffs don't mean anything really, it's the effort that counts.
Pink font? Is this the same as slowtwitch?

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Mark. wrote:Just for the record, those BOP racers who didn't get off the bike until 4pm or even 5pm didn't have to do much of their run in the brutal heat, it cooled down quickly when the sun went down.

Pink font? Is this the same as slowtwitch?

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:22 am

The swimmer who missed the cut-off by 10-15 seconds was way off course coming in. The kayakers all tried to bring him back on course, but were having a hard time. Only five athletes’s missed the cut from the swim (from what I saw there). It was a gallant effort and it was sad to see he missed it being so close! :( :x
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:33 pm

stampie wrote:

The swimmer who missed the cut-off by 10-15 seconds was way off course coming in. The kayakers all tried to bring him back on course, but were having a hard time. Only five athletes missed the cut from the swim (from what I saw there). It was a gallant effort and it was sad to see he missed it being so close! :( :x

That's tough. I think consistency needs to be addressed. At the risk of being unpopular, if you are shutting down transitions at specific times then the same has to be done for the finish line. If there is going to be leeway at the finish line then give it at transition, but don't pick and choose who gets to be a finisher and who doesn't when cut offs aren't met.

That being said, anyone who crosses the line is a finisher in my books and my heart does break for those that barely miss the chance to continue.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Im pretty sure the pink font has some signficance...
I have to admit I was pretty surprised by the comment because I don't see the pink in Tapatalk.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:34 pm

I don't understand the pink font, either. I was wondering if someone else was logged in posting as Mark, because I could NEVER imagine hearing those statements coming out of his mouth. :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:51 pm

La wrote:I don't understand the pink font, either. I was wondering if someone else was logged in posting as Mark, because I could NEVER imagine hearing those statements coming out of his mouth. :lol:

C-Moss was just sayin..."is this the Mark who stayed with us for K-Town" :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:52 pm

It denotes sarcasm.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Jwolf wrote:It denotes sarcasm.

News to me.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 pm

La wrote:

News to me.

Okay...that sounds more like the Mark C-Moss and I had stay at the C-Moss B&B :lol: :lol:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:14 pm

This. But then all who know me knew that already.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Of course it's sarcastic, this whole thread is quite disturbing and disappointing to anyone who respects the integrity of the sport of Ironman Triathlon. Last Sunday 3000 triathletes climbed into Okanagan Lake hoping to be done swimming 3.8k by 9:20AM PST so they would be allowed to continue on to the next stage of the Ironman race. Every one of them knew the time cutoff, knew the risks, and the very real possibility they would be hauled out of the race before reaching the swim finish line before the strict time cutoff had elapsed - for whatever reason. Most were successful, some were not. The remaining triathletes mounted their bikes for the next riskier stage of the race, crossing their fingers they'd somehow make it back to the bike course finish line before 5:30PM PST, the strict time when they'd be hauled out of the race. I saw people crash their bikes, I saw people with flat tires they'd be unable to change, dehydrated people, all manner of DNFs on my time out there on the bike course. I thanked my lucky stars I made it back into Transition before the cutoff, because really, nothing is a sure thing in this sport and much better triathletes than me have missed the bike cutoff due to situations of their control. The remaining triathletes then headed out to run a marathon, hoping they'd somehow stave off all the obstacles in their path and navigate their way back to the finish line before the strict cut off time of midnight PST. Ironman Canada is midnight, everyone who enters, watches or in most cases has heard of the race knows that it's midnight. It's often harsh, occasionally cruel, but always firm. It's the rule and it's obsolutely black and white - you finish the race before midnight or you don't finish and you try again some other time. What you don't do is shake down the race organizers for something you haven't earned. I don't post here, but I heard of this thread from a few people, and I then heard it might be someone I know. I'm very disappointed that it turns out this is the case. What sort of example does this set for kids? That if you try your best and come up short, you go complain straight to the top if necessary until you get what you want? If at first you don't succeed, pretend like you succeeded? It's an Ironman, it's supposed to be the pinnacle of hard. Lots of people fall off this ride, but they pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and try again. I'm extremely disappointed, you all should give your heads a shake. It's unfair to the competitors that respected the fact they were unsuccessful in accomplishing their goal of finishing to parade around in finishing "swag" you haven't earned. It's unfair to the finishers who worked so hard to not quit, and believe me, MANY of us wanted to quit at 38C halfway into the marathon with nowhere to hide from the relentless sun. But we didn't - we finished.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Well, it's up to the race organizers to decide whether or not to give these unofficial finishers the swag, and they made that choice. They could easily stand firm on this and they chose not to- I wonder why? (not sarcasm- I seriously wonder why they make this choice).

There is a difference between someone who quits early vs. finishing the course after the deadline, although you're right that they are both officially DNFs and this is reflected in the results. But we're not exactly talking about people who dropped out and are pretending they finished.
Last edited by Jwolf on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 pm

eljeffe wrote:Of course it's sarcastic, this whole thread is quite disturbing and disappointing to anyone who respects the integrity of the sport of Ironman Triathlon. Last Sunday 3000 triathletes climbed into Okanagan Lake hoping to be done swimming 3.8k by 9:20AM PST so they would be allowed to continue on to the next stage of the Ironman race. Every one of them knew the time cutoff, knew the risks, and the very real possibility they would be hauled out of the race before reaching the swim finish line before the strict time cutoff had elapsed - for whatever reason. Most were successful, some were not. The remaining triathletes mounted their bikes for the next riskier stage of the race, crossing their fingers they'd somehow make it back to the bike course finish line before 5:30PM PST, the strict time when they'd be hauled out of the race. I saw people crash their bikes, I saw people with flat tires they'd be unable to change, dehydrated people, all manner of DNFs on my time out there on the bike course. I thanked my lucky stars I made it back into Transition before the cutoff, because really, nothing is a sure thing in this sport and much better triathletes than me have missed the bike cutoff due to situations of their control. The remaining triathletes then headed out to run a marathon, hoping they'd somehow stave off all the obstacles in their path and navigate their way back to the finish line before the strict cut off time of midnight PST. Ironman Canada is midnight, everyone who enters, watches or in most cases has heard of the race knows that it's midnight. It's often harsh, occasionally cruel, but always firm. It's the rule and it's obsolutely black and white - you finish the race before midnight or you don't finish and you try again some other time. What you don't do is shake down the race organizers for something you haven't earned. I don't post here, but I heard of this thread from a few people, and I then heard it might be someone I know. I'm very disappointed that it turns out this is the case. What sort of example does this set for kids? That if you try your best and come up short, you go complain straight to the top if necessary until you get what you want? If at first you don't succeed, pretend like you succeeded? It's an Ironman, it's supposed to be the pinnacle of hard. Lots of people fall off this ride, but they pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and try again. I'm extremely disappointed, you all should give your heads a shake. It's unfair to the competitors that respected the fact they were unsuccessful in accomplishing their goal of finishing to parade around in finishing "swag" you haven't earned. It's unfair to the finishers who worked so hard to not quit, and believe me, MANY of us wanted to quit at 38C halfway into the marathon with nowhere to hide from the relentless sun. But we didn't - we finished.

As you know Jeff...I don't always agree with you...but in this instance I agree. Yep...I may be unpopular with this view :roll:

As for race day. My friend Mike...had a miserable day out there...he literally "clawed" his way to the last Pro spot for Kona...in his e-mail to me after the race...he said.."it was so hot (and this from a guy who loves the heat)..I wanted to just lie down and have a nap...but I kept thinking...Kona"

I'm thinking of what Mark's wife Hayley says..."It's not Easyman"

Of course I feel badly for people who didn't make the cut off ...just the same way I feel badly for friends who miss a BQ by a minute or so.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:Well, it's up to the race organizers to decide whether or not to give these unofficial finishers the swag, and they made that choice. They could easily stand firm on this and they chose not to- I wonder why? (not sarcasm- I seriously wonder why they make this choice).

There is a difference between someone who quits early vs. finishing the course after the deadline, although you're right that they are both officially DNFs and this is reflected in the results. But we're not exactly talking about people who dropped out and are pretending they finished.

I'm curious too...as to why the swag was given. To be honest I was surprised by this.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Jeff: agree completely. Thanks for writing that.

Jennifer: how are they different? Why is one ok and the other not?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Jeff: agree completely. Thanks for writing that.

Jennifer: how are they different? Why is one ok and the other not?

I'm not making a judgement about which is ok or not. But if you finish the course you did actually physically complete the distance vs. someone who doesn't. It seems the IM race organizers make the same distinction-- allowing these unofficial finishers to collect a medal, etc. without getting officially recognized for a finish. The official finish result still means something and no one is diminishing that.

I am actually closer to Jeff's opinion than not on this. But it's not always black and white- in this case there is a shade of gray.
Last edited by Jwolf on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:15 pm

there was no shaking down of race organizers. questions were asked at to why the organizers failed to provide the race support they were contractually bound to provide to athletes who had put their heart, soul, time, and money into an event that they were well prepared for. when defensive excuses were offered by the race director, he asked the CEO.

John did not ask for finisher gear - someone else did and the CEO asked John to send him an email detailing his race experience, including the lack of water at 4 water stations on the hottest part of the course. no water provided by race organizers is not the same as a flat. surely IMC has some accountability. and it is their tradition of providing the swag to those who cross the finish line - take it up with then.

don't worry about what we are teaching our children.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Return to “The Dark Side”