IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Re: IMC 2011 Bib Numbers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:20 pm

mas_runner wrote:Maybe a separate thread is needed so that we can all :clap: and ^:)^ to the fast ironmen and tell them just how super awesome they really are and how lucky we are to have them showing us losers how it's done...
Well, sarcasm aside it does beg the question - at what point do we stop being cheerleaders for the accomplishment of simply finishing some endurance event? I'm not a tri person so I have no idea how relatively slow 17 hours is. But if they made the cutoff for a marathon to be, for example, 8 hours I would definitely be saying "FFS, we don't applaud for a long walk".

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
mas_runner wrote:Maybe a separate thread is needed so that we can all :clap: and ^:)^ to the fast ironmen and tell them just how super awesome they really are and how lucky we are to have them showing us losers how it's done...
Well, sarcasm aside it does beg the question - at what point do we stop being cheerleaders for the accomplishment of simply finishing some endurance event? I'm not a tri person so I have no idea how relatively slow 17 hours is. But if they made the cutoff for a marathon to be, for example, 8 hours I would definitely be saying "FFS, we don't applaud for a long walk".

Good question. I think everyone can make their own call on what they think is a great accomplishment. I suspect Ironman, which I believe is a for-profit organization, picks 17 hours, or 16 etc, not because of what they think is a time for a well-trained athlete but what is the appropriate time to keep people interested in participating so they can maximize their profit. From a more personal perspective, do I think a healthy 20 year old male finishing an IM at 16:59:59 is a much greater accomplishment than a 70 year female cancer survivor finishing at 17:00:01? No, I don't - not even close. I think it is all relative. That's the only point I was trying to make.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Well, sarcasm aside it does beg the question - at what point do we stop being cheerleaders for the accomplishment of simply finishing some endurance event?

I don't think we have to. So many of our friends, family and colleagues struggle with their health that all athletic milestones that keep us headed in the right direction are important.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:18 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:Well, sarcasm aside it does beg the question - at what point do we stop being cheerleaders for the accomplishment of simply finishing some endurance event?

I don't think we have to. So many of our friends, family and colleagues struggle with their health that all athletic milestones that keep us headed in the right direction are important.
Fair enough. You shouldn't judge someone until you've walked 26.2 miles in their shoes.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:

Fair enough. You shouldn't judge someone until you've walked 26.2 miles in their shoes.

or in this case, 140.6 miles.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 pm

CinC wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:

or in this case, 140.6 miles.

:D
And... some people...who may not even finish I think deserve some cheering.
Like Sister Madonna...who missed the bike cutoff this year...but at age 81 still showed up at Pentiction. She rocks in my books!!!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm

As someone who pretty much power walked 50k yesterday, I'll stand up and say I loved all the maniac cheers. I needed them.

People were cheering the amount of heart I was putting in, not how slow I might have been.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:13 am

just got this email - I'm impressed:

Dear IMC Athletes

We hope your post IMC recovery is going well. Following the 2011 race, we had some requests for new finisher medals. There was an issue with the medals delivered to us and we have worked out an arrangement to provide the Medals that were actually ordered as a memento of your accomplishment. We realize that doing IMC is a special event in your life and the medal is a lifelong reminder of the effort and experience.

Please fill out the form at the link below by November 15th, if you would like a new medal. This is to ensure that we have the correct address information.
http://www.eventsonline.ca/events/ironman_medal/

It is our hope that we can send the medals out prior to Christmas. Upon receipt of the medals from the supplier we will send out a notification that they are being shipped out.

Thank You,

Subaru IMC
Race Hard. Race Happy.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:15 am

CinC wrote:just got this email - I'm impressed:

Dear IMC Athletes

We hope your post IMC recovery is going well. Following the 2011 race, we had some requests for new finisher medals. There was an issue with the medals delivered to us and we have worked out an arrangement to provide the Medals that were actually ordered as a memento of your accomplishment. We realize that doing IMC is a special event in your life and the medal is a lifelong reminder of the effort and experience.

Please fill out the form at the link below by November 15th, if you would like a new medal. This is to ensure that we have the correct address information.

It is our hope that we can send the medals out prior to Christmas. Upon receipt of the medals from the supplier we will send out a notification that they are being shipped out.

Thank You,

Subaru IMC

Very impressed - they could have just said that it couldn't be fixed/was too late, etc.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 am

eme wrote:
CinC wrote:just got this email - I'm impressed:

Dear IMC Athletes

Thank You,

Subaru IMC

Very impressed - they could have just said that it couldn't be fixed/was too late, etc.

+1
Kudos to IMC for handling this situation tactfully & correcting the problem.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:07 pm

It seems like IMCan is coming through again for the mishaps in the last race. They are calling non-finishers of the 2011 event and offering a free entry into either the 2012 or 2013 event.

Return to “The Dark Side”