Dogs! I am scared!

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Dogs! I am scared!

Postby Iron-North » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:23 pm

We all have the what to do and not do when you meat with a bear, a cougar, a polar bear, a skunk but what about a racing dog coming right for your front wheel from the side while you ride a 30km speed! man that is so scary!

Should I speed up, stop, scream, say 'gentil toutou' ...

I am riding and out of a yard comes this racing and barking dog! Where is he heading? for my wheel? to get a bite of my leg? What if he bumps into me! I crash then what, he jumps on me?

What would you do? what do you do?
Please help I am more scare every time I ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Dogs! I am scared!

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Helene...

Are you up North now? The reason why I ask is that from what I know (I have a co-worker whose son lived in the North...and has a dog from there). These dogs may not be as socialized as the ones down South.

Need more info...and then I'll ask Gus for advice.

Hugs to you (((North..of where?)...having been attacked by a dog a few years ago...I am not discounting your anxiety and fear.

ETA: I'm thinking carrying bear spray of some sort might not be a bad idea.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Helene! You can do one of three things;

1. Speed up and ride away from the dog - most dogs can't keep up above 40km/hr or so, though I've had a dog chase me to about 55k/hr before giving up.

2. Stop immediately and get off the bike - keep the bike between you and the dog, if necessary hit the dog with the bike.

3. Bear spray plus #1 or #2.

I usually do #1.

You can try yelling at the dog too, I do, bit it doesn't seem to make a difference most of the time. Whatever you do though, you have to decide and the do it immediately, there's usually no time to waste!
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, I ride like heck, get my dog spray ready and hope I don't have to use it.

99% of the time the dog stops at some point, either because he's not fast enough or because he wasn't really attacking, just making noise.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I usually yell Back! Really loud, and pedal my a$$ off! I carry pepper spray with me, but have only used it when I ran.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Jo-Jo we are on a paradise vacation in North Carolina for a month. ( training my poor behind off ) haha.
Same things last spring, we were down in some other part of North Carolina, riding in unfamiliar roads. Beautiful place to ride but without any warning there is always ONE dog that will come out of nowhere to hunt me! I know about dogs up north, they are almost wild animals ... no problems with them though.

I thought about pepper spray I used to have some and used it a couple times on my runs. On the bike, the time reaction to get the pepper spray out, the dog racing to my wheel .. it is all going sooo freakin' fast!

About my little scenario, the dogs sees me before I reach the entrance of the house parking lot. Once I realize the dog is there and racing to attack, I am right there in his way, he is coming right for my front wheel or my leg. There is no time react and no time to waste!

It is good advice to get off the bike and make a shield of it. I thought about that. But again, the speed of it all it is crazy and dangerous!

Eric says HE should be between me and the dog haha! hmmm yes good idea!

Trying to scare him by screaming I guess ... would it work? geeeh!

thanks for the input !!!

Ironman Cozumel 2014

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

I wonder if one of those deer whistles that go on your car would work?

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:59 am

fingerboy wrote:I wonder if one of those deer whistles that go on your car would work?

since they don't work for deer, I'd say no.

I know it is scary, but most dogs that do that are chasing you just for the sake of chasing something that moves. They chase cars also. Actual bits are very rare, but I'm sure it happens. I have 4 or 5 that I regularily play with on my rides for sprint sessions. But I have stopped at everyone of them in the past and as soon as you stop, they stop. Its a game for them to chase something that is moving. Once you stop, the game is over.

Now I get a full water bottle ready and try to give them a good squirt in the face. Its funny as hell when you hit them, but it is harder to hit a running dog, from a moving bike than you would think.

Sometimes a very loud "NO" at the dog will stop them also.

Obviously every dog is different and you need to use caution until you know what the dog is like, but I've tested all my locals out and haven't had any issues. We have one road on a native reservation that seems like every house has a dog. As soon as the first one barks, they all come out to the edge of the road and wait for you. I'd never take Mrs Fishie there, but me and the odd buddy use it of an adreniline filled sprint.
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:11 am

This might sound like a dopey idea...but instead of screaming...barking at it?

Reason why I suggest this is a couple months ago I was trying to capture a small dog that had escaped from a yard. It paid no attention to my yelling at it but I then decided to bark at it. This dog stopped in his tracks...stared as me...and then ran back into his own yard to his thankful owners.

I imagine a few of the people walking by thought I was very strange :lol: :lol:

Mark's right...you have to act immediately.

Good luck...and have a great month training!!

p.s. SIlly me to think you wouldn't be experienced at dealing with Northern dogs!!
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 am

I've heard two suggestions: Yelling NO very loudly, and squirting it with your water bottle (or, if that fails, throw your water bottle at it). You could also use your hand pump to swat at it (hoping it will bite that and not you).

I guess that was more than two. ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am

Hmm this is all good stuff. It makes me feel a bit more confident in the sens that it happens to everyone, there is options to make the dog think twice and dogs are usually wanting to ... play or chase a moving object more than ran into or attack right? ! ...

Squirting the dog is a good idea and barking !!! I see myself going aaawoooo wooo wooo wooooooooo!!! Silly but it might just make the dog stop to think; what the heck is this!! haha!

Many many thanks! :D

Ironman Cozumel 2014

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Barking may be a good idea, and I would like to add growling. We use a growling sound to get our dog to understand when he is doing something wrong. It is a really throaty sound (sounds like a "bah"), but without fail it gets his attention and tells him we're the alpha, not him.

Practice your growling! :wink:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:15 pm

It's Ste. Marguerite all over again. :roll:

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:05 pm

oh those dogs from ste-marguerite yeah they ruined it all! That is where i used that dogs pepper spray. Oh and if you use it, make sure it in down wind .... hahah! ouille!

Ironman Cozumel 2014

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Don't waste your breath yelling. Dogs don't understand yelling "get away from me you #$%^&". It just thinks you're yapping back at it. Depending if it's trained, it might comprehend "no" But do it in a deep manly voice. Also if it's trained, ignoring it completely and riding like heck may work. Always ignore the bad behaviours, praise the good - sorry, the former dog trainer in me coming out.

I like squirting it with water. Throw the water bottle at it if you have to.

But obviously choice #1 - ride like heck.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:07 pm

I usually pick up the pace.. but once I ALMOST got out-sprinted by a Jack Russel who had more endurance than I could have ever imagined! :ymblushing:

I do the DEEP VOICE - NO, GO... just make sure you take the alpha dog approach, squealing and high pitched yelling won't really do anything from what I have seen with my riding buddies.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm scared too! Was traumatised by farm dogs in Saskatchewan. I would normally just pedal like heck too... I don`t think they are out for blood, but they obviously like the chase. One little brat almost got creamed by a semi when he tried to cross a busy highway.

Hope you are having a nice time in the South!

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:17 pm

TriJenn wrote: One little brat almost got creamed by a semi when he tried to cross a busy highway.

I'm sure that owner was really happy to find their dog 'creamed' by a semi. maybe a different choice of words next time?
Race Hard. Race Happy.

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 pm

CinC wrote:
TriJenn wrote: One little brat almost got creamed by a semi when he tried to cross a busy highway.

I'm sure that owner was really happy to find their dog 'creamed' by a semi. maybe a different choice of words next time?

I like the word 'creamed'. It defines what would happen *if* a semi had hit that dog.
Was it the semi's fault? No
Was it the cyclists fault? No
Was it the dogs fault? No
Was it the owners fault? If the owner took the proper measures to keep the dog on their property then it does not get hit.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:17 pm

RobAllen wrote:
CinC wrote:

I like the word 'creamed'. It defines what would happen *if* a semi had hit that dog.
Was it the owners fault? If the owner took the proper measures to keep the dog on their property then it does not get hit.

of course there has to be a debate about whose fault it is. I don't care about that - I don't like the choice in word (as I know of people who have had their dogs injured and killed by cars/vehicles). And well. of course it's the owners fault. whatever.

dogs = brats.
hit by moving vehicle = creamed.
noted.

ok then.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:23 pm

CinC wrote:
RobAllen wrote:
CinC wrote:

of course there has to be a debate about whose fault it is. I don't care about that - I don't like the choice in word (as I know of people who have had their dogs injured and killed by cars/vehicles). And well. of course it's the owners fault. whatever.

dogs = brats.
hit by moving vehicle = creamed.
noted.

ok then.

I think I may know where Carla is coming from...Carla...you'll have to be the judge.

Let's supposed "your" 3 year old toddler darted away because you just momentarily took your eyes off the little "brat"...and he/she almost got creamed by a semi.And one of us witnessed this.

I suspect you'd appreciate us being more sensitive with our use of language when recounting the story.

Having said the above...I confess I sometimes to refer to my dog C-Moss in terms like..."brat" and "miserable mutt"....but I suspect I'd be offended if someone, other than those who love her like I do referred to her that way.

Okay...enough rambling...time for a beer!!! :D

ETA: I suspect Jen didn't mean to offend us dog lovers...if so...I'm phoning her Mom ASAP and telling her to have the little Bostie (her Mom's dog) bite her on the ankle next time she visits...STAT... :wink:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Easy solution: ride with someone slower than you, then out-sprint them.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Good thing I love C-Moss because she is the first thing I thought of at the mention of the word "brat"...... :lol: :oops:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:53 pm

I worry about our dog being a pest.

We adopted her when she as 1 year old and she was abused by her former owners. They caged her 24 hours a day, except for pee breaks. She was a mess when we got her - very neurotic and anxious. She actually had eroded her back teeth down to nubs from chewing on the metal bars in her cage. Over the years of hard work she has become a lovely dog. Medications, lots of group training, private training, reading books etc have done wonders. But - she will always be a "bolt and run away" dog. That's not going to change. Due to her time in a cage she still can't stand being shut in a kennel, and even now will make a break for the door as we head out if she's feeling anxious for some reason. So about 3 times a year she escapes, runs all over the neighbourhood and doesn't come back until she's exhausted. While we have done everything possible to minimize the risk to her and to the neighbours, I do worry one of these times she'll escape and chase a bike (it would be for fun in her mind but scary for the cyclist) or get hit by a car.

It's not always are clear cut as we'd like to think.

But, I often think she's a brat! :) (But not today - I forgot and left a fresh baked loaf of bread on the counter and then had to drop something off at my DD school. When I came home, the bread was un-touched. Good doggy!)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:11 pm

babysteps wrote:I worry about our dog being a pest.

We adopted her when she as 1 year old and she was abused by her former owners. They caged her 24 hours a day, except for pee breaks. She was a mess when we got her - very neurotic and anxious. She actually had eroded her back teeth down to nubs from chewing on the metal bars in her cage. Over the years of hard work she has become a lovely dog. Medications, lots of group training, private training, reading books etc have done wonders. But - she will always be a "bolt and run away" dog. That's not going to change. Due to her time in a cage she still can't stand being shut in a kennel, and even now will make a break for the door as we head out if she's feeling anxious for some reason. So about 3 times a year she escapes, runs all over the neighbourhood and doesn't come back until she's exhausted. While we have done everything possible to minimize the risk to her and to the neighbours, I do worry one of these times she'll escape and chase a bike (it would be for fun in her mind but scary for the cyclist) or get hit by a car.

It's not always are clear cut as we'd like to think.

But, I often think she's a brat! :) (But not today - I forgot and left a fresh baked loaf of bread on the counter and then had to drop something off at my DD school. When I came home, the bread was un-touched. Good doggy!)

That's a powrful story...and a reminder that indeed it's not always as clear cut as we think.

Kudos to you and your family for working with this dear dog and giving her a forever home!

What popped into my head reading your story (and no I'm not comparing dogs to human childrens) is that because I have a young friend with 3 children on the autism spectrum I'm much more tolerant when I see a child "losing it" in public...I think to myself....."this may not be what it looks like...a spoiled "brat" having a temper tantrum"

Yep...life is just not clear cut!!! :D

Return to “The Dark Side”