Cyclist killed on Hwy 17, just west of CFB Petawawa

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

CAW
Lynn Williams

Cyclist killed on Hwy 17, just west of CFB Petawawa

Postby CAW » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:02 pm

http://www.pembroketoday.ca/default.asp ... ed1_155218

47-year-old Kevin Malott of Chalk River is dead following a crash early this morning between Malott - who was riding a bicycle and a 2001 Freightliner transport truck driven by 53-year-old Rodger Chapman of Morrisburg, Chapman was not injured in the crash on Highway 17, just west of Paquette Road. The accident is still under investigation by authorities and no charges have yet been laid..Highway 17 has now been reopened to traffic.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

CAW
Lynn Williams

Re: Cyclist killed on Hwy 17, just west of CFB Petawawa

Postby CAW » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Scotty just called me...the deceased is a Warrant Officer that worked down the hall from him at Brigade HQ in Petawawa.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 pm

That's too bad.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:57 pm

It's no excuse obviously for the driver - but why would someone bike on the Trans Canada Highway, where you know there will be large fast moving trucks, in a place with gravel shoulders?

Drivers have to pay attention, but cyclists have to use some sense as well. :?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm

:(
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:51 pm

jonovision_man wrote:It's no excuse obviously for the driver - but why would someone bike on the Trans Canada Highway, where you know there will be large fast moving trucks, in a place with gravel shoulders?

Drivers have to pay attention, but cyclists have to use some sense as well. :?

jono

There is no alternative route between Chalk River and Petawawa unless you travel by boat on the Ottawa river...

I believe the man had cycle-commuted that road for years. However I know that I hated driving it in a car, and there'd be no way in Hell I'd let anyone in my family cycle that stretch of road!
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 am

There's a real problem in those sorts of areas. It's the same here - the only way from NB to NS is on the TransCanada unless you want to take a 35km detour on dirt roads. I would love to cycle commute the 17km to my office, but it means riding on the highway so there's no way I'll ever do it. People have challenged me on this, saying they know people who do it (of course it's always people they know, never the ones saying it who actually do it) but I'm too scared of a truck going 110kph blowing out a tire or something. I see lots of tire debris on the route to work and I wouldn't want to be on a bike near that when it happened. I think there should always be an alternate route between towns other than the Trans Canada but I know that would cost a fortune so it will never happen.

Return to “The Dark Side”