Diana Nyad finishes her epic Cuba to Florida swim

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Diana Nyad finishes her epic Cuba to Florida swim

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 pm

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/diana-nyad ... -1.1436654

Awesome!! She's 64 years old, too. This was her fifth try and the first time anyone has done it without a shark cage.

When she finished, she said:

"I have three messages. One is we should never ever give up. Two is you are never too old to chase your dreams. And three is it looks like a solitary sport but it takes a team."
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Diana Nyad finishes her epic Cuba to Florida swim

Postby purdy65 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I've been following her all day. A hero of mine since 1975. She has put my head in an entirely different space with this accomplishment.

To be honest , I was really starting to think this swim was impossible. She sure showed everyone. Including her many detractors.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:20 pm

I saw she was trying this again and really watched her alot closer the last 24 hours. I had never heard of those box jellyfish until I read her blog on Saturday. Boy, those are nasty jellyfish and they will chase you down to sting you.

Well done to Diana! That's quite an accomplishment!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:31 am

Great accomplishment! I can't imagine 53 hours in the water - and salt water, at that!

I really need to remind myself not to read the comments section of on-line news stories... what a bunch of boobs. :roll:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:05 am

Jwolf wrote:"I have three messages. One is we should never ever give up. Two is you are never too old to chase your dreams. And three is it looks like a solitary sport but it takes a team."

love those!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Very impressive, especially to keep trying after such bitter disappointments in previous attempts. My hunch is that this was such a difficult achievement that there may not be further attempts for some time, as the usual incentives (being the fastest, youngest, etc.) will not be enough to justify the danger or expense.

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 am

ian wrote:Very impressive, especially to keep trying after such bitter disappointments in previous attempts. My hunch is that this was such a difficult achievement that there may not be further attempts for some time, as the usual incentives (being the fastest, youngest, etc.) will not be enough to justify the danger or expense.

Sounds there are a few people questioning if she really did what she said she did.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:22 am

Meh - Haters will hate. The questioning was bound to happen.

Still an achievement I won't forget.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 am

purdy65 wrote:Meh - Haters will hate. The questioning was bound to happen.

When someone puts a claim out that evidence suggests isn't entirely true, then it's fair to question without being labeled a "hater" IMO. But I was a Lance "hater" before it was cool too, so...

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:20 pm

OK,

Maybe haters was a bit harsh. It was inevitable, though that there would be questions about the feat. It's not diminished in my mind. She also has said she will address all questions.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:21 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
purdy65 wrote:Meh - Haters will hate. The questioning was bound to happen.

When someone puts a claim out that evidence suggests isn't entirely true, then it's fair to question without being labeled a "hater" IMO. But I was a Lance "hater" before it was cool too, so...

jono

The questions seem reasonable but I'm also satisfied by the answers given both by the team and the neutral observers/consultants mentioned in the story.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:21 pm

AjaxRunner wrote:
ian wrote:Very impressive, especially to keep trying after such bitter disappointments in previous attempts. My hunch is that this was such a difficult achievement that there may not be further attempts for some time, as the usual incentives (being the fastest, youngest, etc.) will not be enough to justify the danger or expense.

Sounds there are a few people questioning if she really did what she said she did.

:?:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Spirit wrote:
AjaxRunner wrote:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/news/w ... to-florida
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Spirit wrote:
AjaxRunner wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2013/09/08/sp-swimming-diana-nyad-open-water-swim-cuba-florida.html

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:14 pm

ian wrote:The questions seem reasonable but I'm also satisfied by the answers given both by the team and the neutral observers/consultants mentioned in the story.

They sound plausible. I think a lot of questions are coming from those in their "marathon swimming" community, for whom this accomplishment is serious business - it's authenticity is important to them.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:48 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I think a lot of questions are coming from those in their "marathon swimming" community, for whom this accomplishment is serious business - it's authenticity is important to them.

The perspective of this marathon swimming community is interesting and relevant, but the key word of your post is business. Think of how much harder it's going to be for some of these people to get the sponsors and volunteers needed to take on future challenges. Conversely, if Nyad had come up short again or had been gobbled up by a shark, her loss would have been the rest of the community's gain. It's really a sort of zero-sum game and I'll be taking that into account when evaluating the various accusations.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:54 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
ian wrote:The questions seem reasonable but I'm also satisfied by the answers given both by the team and the neutral observers/consultants mentioned in the story.

They sound plausible. I think a lot of questions are coming from those in their "marathon swimming" community, for whom this accomplishment is serious business - it's authenticity is important to them.

jono

What is the Cross-Fit community saying?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:46 pm

turd ferguson wrote:What is the Cross-Fit community saying?

next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Sour grapes.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm

One thing they marathon swim community is saying is that she didn't follow English Channel rules. But she never intended to.

It's a pretty small community- too bad they can't find a way to be more supportive.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:42 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

What is the Cross-Fit community saying?

"53 hours? With Cross-Fit training she could have cut that in half!"

jono
Visit my blog!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:One thing they marathon swim community is saying is that she didn't follow English Channel rules. But she never intended to.

It's a pretty small community- too bad they can't find a way to be more supportive.

Agree.
My suggestion: any of those marathon swim naysayers...go jump in the water and swim that same route with no "protective gear" and have fun with the jelly fish. :?
Agree with Spirit...sour grapes.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:My suggestion: any of those marathon swim naysayers...go jump in the water and swim that same route with no "protective gear" and have fun with the jelly fish. :?

I think they have reason to point out that her accomplishment has some caveats, just like she won't acknowledge the previous individual who did it with a shark cage. We all know wetsuits aid with buoyancy, therefore it's not the same as doing it without one.

Yet her team spokesperson said:
The elaborate, full-body suit and protective mask Nyad wore to protect herself from venomous jellyfish actually weighed her down, Munatones said.

Maybe if they were just forthright about the accomplishment rather than trying to B.S. their way through elements of it they wouldn't be getting criticism.

jono
Visit my blog!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:My suggestion: any of those marathon swim naysayers...go jump in the water and swim that same route with no "protective gear" and have fun with the jelly fish. :?

I think they have reason to point out that her accomplishment has some caveats, just like she won't acknowledge the previous individual who did it with a shark cage. We all know wetsuits aid with buoyancy, therefore it's not the same as doing it without one.

Yet her team spokesperson said:
The elaborate, full-body suit and protective mask Nyad wore to protect herself from venomous jellyfish actually weighed her down, Munatones said.

Maybe if they were just forthright about the accomplishment rather than trying to B.S. their way through elements of it they wouldn't be getting criticism.

jono

Agree with your comment about caveats...so let's see someone offer to do it without protective gear...
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Agree with your comment about caveats...so let's see someone offer to do it without protective gear...

Jellyfish do it all the time! ;)

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”