Let's talk trainers

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Let's talk trainers

Postby runJrun » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Today was possibly my last outdoor ride of the year. I am in the market for a trainer for the winter months. Advice and suggestions please!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Re: Let's talk trainers

Postby MINITEE » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:21 pm

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDi ... &pageView=

Probably the best pricing (even with shipping) you will get. I subscribe to the newsletter and they often have 20% off deal days. I got the adjustable fluid trainer last year for about $100 less than I could get a Cyclops fluid WITH my staff discount.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 1___202382 (last years model was based on the Elite Brand trainers).

If noise is an issue, get a fluid over a Mag (magnetic). Smoother and more quiet by far. We sell the Cyclops trainers exclusively at the store and I would have purchased one of those had I not got this fantastic deal. They have a great warranty - I have seen one unit replaced in the 2 years I have been at the store.

If price were no object, I would be getting a CompuTrainer or a Wahoo trainer without a second thought.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Let's talk trainers

Postby Jwolf » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Many people I know seem to like the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/road-machine-p-198-l-en.html

I can't afford or justify a computrainer, and this one seems to be one of the best fluid trainers- if I get one it will be this one.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:50 am

I still use an old Tacx magnetic trainer... gets the job done. I'm not recommending it as such, I'm sure the fluid ones have a better road feel etc., but if you're on a budget you can probably pick one up used really cheap ($75-100 used, if not less).

BTW - one thing that can make magnetic trainers more tolerable is to reduce the tension just to the point that your highest gear is where it is super tough (ie. the hardest you'd ever use in a workout). Any more tension than that and it feels jerky, with less tension the rear wheel spins faster and gives a smoother feel. Although it's also quite a bit louder lol. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 am

Not many triathletes replying here, but there have already been a few discussions about this; here's one:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44209&hilit=trainer
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks for the links!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!

- Sasha Azevedo

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Mark 2.1 wrote:Kurt Kinetic Road.

A fluid trainer; it's relatively quiet, relatively cheap ($320-ish), nice road-like feel. You can spend less and have more noise (mag trainer) and spend more and have more bells and whistles. The KKR is the best of both worlds.

This is what I wrote in the other thread - still holds true.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:24 pm

I don't use mine anymore. I go to spin class instead. But I'm not training for anything long, so I don't need to do 2-4hr indoor rides anymore. :dance:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:54 am

La wrote:I don't use mine anymore. I go to spin class instead. But I'm not training for anything long, so I don't need to do 2-4hr indoor rides anymore. :dance:

I will be going to spin class twice a week through the winter, but wanted one for when it is too cold and I just want to stay inside. Also I would like to get a few 2+ hour rides in every few weeks. I guess I like the idea of having the option :)
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 am

I got some longer indoor rides done last winter by going to the gym ahead of time on Saturday and spinning for an hour on my own before class started.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:42 am

La wrote:I don't use mine anymore. I go to spin class instead. But I'm not training for anything long, so I don't need to do 2-4hr indoor rides anymore. :dance:

Long rides are meant to be done outdoors, even if that means layering up and dealing with slushy Gatorade!

I don't know how anyone sits on an indoor trainer longer than about an hour, can't do it... especially if it's LSD type of riding, I would lose my mind! A one-hour Sufferfest DVD, that's the way to go. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 am

jonovision_man wrote:

Long rides are meant to be done outdoors, even if that means layering up and dealing with slushy Gatorade!

I don't know how anyone sits on an indoor trainer longer than about an hour, can't do it... especially if it's LSD type of riding, I would lose my mind! A one-hour Sufferfest DVD, that's the way to go. :)

jono

You obviously haven't been to Winnipeg in the winter. A trainer is a must, if you want to keep bike training throughout the winter here (and most of Western Canada, except maybe BC).

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:56 am

If only for an hour or less, I wouldn't bother buying a trainer. Even two hours-- I like the spin bikes at the gym and can use those for as long as I want usually. But I do notice how much I prefer my own saddle!

If I move on to triathlons longer than Olympic (possible goal for next year) I will likely get a trainer. But by then I'd probably want a different bike, too.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:00 pm

eme wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

You obviously haven't been to Winnipeg in the winter. A trainer is a must, if you want to keep bike training throughout the winter here (and most of Western Canada, except maybe BC).

wuss
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:09 pm

eme wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

3.5hrs a couple weeks back. 3hrs done on Sun. 4.5-5hrs planned for Sun unless the forecast of 0 and wind changes. you do what you have to do. And part of that is being on your own bike and set up for that long. A spin bike doesn't provide that.

Trainer question - I have a Minuro mag that I've had for almost 6 years now. It's not too loud or annoying - you can change the tension with a control. A garmin 910xt with a speed/cadence set up gives you all the main data that you should care about if you care about data - HR, speed, cadence, etc. It does the job and I paid about $200 for it - just ensure you have the right skewer based on my fall on Sun. Yes. After how many trainer rides, being sloppy and not replacing the skewer to a trainer one is well, stupid. We also have a computrainer which provides you power data/training and lets you ride various course, is great for TT, etc. That was substantially more $$. If I were to replace my Minuro, I would go with Tacx Flow - about $600 which gives you power data for a much more economical price.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

CinC wrote:
eme wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

3.5hrs a couple weeks back. 3hrs done on Sun. 4.5-5hrs planned for Sun unless the forecast of 0 and wind changes. you do what you have to do. And part of that is being on your own bike and set up for that long. A spin bike doesn't provide that.

Trainer question - I have a Minuro mag that I've had for almost 6 years now. It's not too loud or annoying - you can change the tension with a control. A garmin 910xt with a speed/cadence set up gives you all the main data that you should care about if you care about data - HR, speed, cadence, etc. It does the job and I paid about $200 for it - just ensure you have the right skewer based on my fall on Sun. Yes. After how many trainer rides, being sloppy and not replacing the skewer to a trainer one is well, stupid. We also have a computrainer which provides you power data/training and lets you ride various course, is great for TT, etc. That was substantially more $$. If I were to replace my Minuro, I would go with Tacx Flow - about $600 which gives you power data for a much more economical price.

Thanks for the info! You hit the nail on the head as to wanting a trainer. To be able to be on my own bike. :)
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:25 pm

I think Kerry was trying to get rid of her trainer on FB?

I have an Elite Fluid something-or-other. The really nice thing about it is that it folds up and is very easily transportable. Very handy for spin class.

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:21 am

I just bought a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine off Ebay. Should get delivered today. I live in a condo, haven't told the wife yet we will be losing the dining room table for the winter :P :P :lol: :lol: :o :o

Figured that buying winter gear for the bike would cost the same amount. Plus, living in the city makes for difficult workouts on teh bike outdoors at the best of times. Plus, this gets me time on MY bike in stead of a spinning bike.

Have to get ready for my Half Iron in September.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 am

runJrun wrote:
CinC wrote:
eme wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Thanks for the info! You hit the nail on the head as to wanting a trainer. To be able to be on my own bike. :)

This. We have great spin bikes at the gym, and I keep an old pair of cycling shoes in my locker so I can ride if I get an unexpected break, but it's still not the same as my own bike. The saddle, isn't the same and I can never quite duplicate the set up that I am comfortable in at home, on my trainer.

There really isn't a comparison between the two.

A Tacx trainer skewer will set you back about $10-15, and is a must. No plastic, which means it will hold up better and longer to the rigors of being on a trainer. Carla, you aren't the first, and definitely won't be the last to experience skewer failure. Not fun at all. :(
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for all of the advice! I am actually going to be taking Kerry's off her hands, it is an Elite Fluid, 2 years old. I will definitely get a skewer as suggested!
Jocelyn

- Sasha Azevedo

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28 am

CinC wrote:3.5hrs a couple weeks back. 3hrs done on Sun. 4.5-5hrs planned for Sun unless the forecast of 0 and wind changes. you do what you have to do. And part of that is being on your own bike and set up for that long. A spin bike doesn't provide that.

Yeah, but you sign up for silly IM's in December. ;-)

I've been looking at upgrading to an electronic trainer, but keep sticking to my tried and true Cycleops Fluid 2 (still going after 10 years!). Low cadence intervals are tough on the Computrainer as a small change in cadence is a big change in wattage.

Winters are for skiing anyways.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 am

Got my KK Road Machine last night. Set up and took it for an hour spin.

Very quiet and (to me anyways) feels pretty similar to riding on the road.

So far I am happy, but it is still very early days.

Return to “The Dark Side”