IM Announces Little Debbie As Title Sponsor For Chattanooga

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

IM Announces Little Debbie As Title Sponsor For Chattanooga

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:18 pm

I thought this was a joke when I first saw it....

Little Debbie company is based in Tennessee. Just seems like an odd combination to me, but money is money.

IRONMAN Announces Little Debbie As Title Sponsor For IRONMAN Chattanooga
Thursday, June 12, 2014
IRONMAN, a recognized brand in the sport of triathlon, announced Little Debbie snacks as the title sponsor of one of IRONMAN’S newest North American races — IRONMAN Chattanooga. The inaugural Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga triathlon to benefit the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America will take place on Sunday, Sept. 28.

“IRONMAN is excited to team up with Little Debbie for what is going to be a fantastic race,” said Carola Ross, Chief Sales Officer of IRONMAN. “IRONMAN athletes have been buzzing about this race since it was announced last year. Chattanooga is a beautiful city that provides a challenging race course as well as warm southern hospitality. Together with Little Debbie, we are excited to deliver an unforgettable race week for our athletes, their families and friends.”

Chattanooga’s valley geography, Tennessee River access and surrounding mountains come together to create one of the most beautiful places to see in the U.S. It also offers a wide range of outdoor activities, making it one of the top destinations for athletes of all types.

“We are absolutely thrilled to be a part of bringing this world-renowned athletic competition to Chattanooga,” said Mike McKee, president and CEO of McKee Foods Corporation, the Collegedale, Tennessee-based maker of the Little Debbie brand. “We are proud of Chattanooga, and we are excited to help IRONMAN come to our city for this great event. These athletes represent the epitome of achievement in their field, and they are an inspiration to all of us who value discipline, perseverance, good planning and even trial and error.”

“Chattanooga is a fantastic town for outdoor fitness endeavors and we hope the Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga triathlon will feed enthusiasm for the pursuit of fitness across a wide range of our community,” added McKee. “We are looking forward to seeing IRONMAN athletes enjoy Little Debbie Snack cakes – they are certainly the best tasting source of energy I know of.” ....

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/6/12/2 ... ie-As.aspx
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CinC
Lynn Williams

Re: IM Announces Little Debbie As Title Sponsor For Chattano

Postby CinC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Memorial Herman (a Texas hospital) sponsor Ironman Texas and the Texas 70.3

Money is money.

I think i'd rather have one of the Little Debbie treats vs the medical bill from Memorial Herman....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:43 pm

God knows I'm as right wing capitalist Ayn Rand survival of the fittest Reaganomics as the next Calgarian, but is "money is money" the answer to everything? If Marlboro walks up with a bag full of cash to sponsor an Ironman do you take it?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:56 pm

turd ferguson wrote:God knows I'm as right wing capitalist Ayn Rand survival of the fittest Reaganomics as the next Calgarian, but is "money is money" the answer to everything? If Marlboro walks up with a bag full of cash to sponsor an Ironman do you take it?

That's my thinking too.

It doesn't sit right with me that a company that makes sugary junk-food is sponsoring IM. But.... Pepsi now owns Gatorade... is it really that much different?

The kicker too is that the Chattanooga race is to benefit Chrohn's and Colitis Foundation. Seems like a bit of a conflict there with the title sponsor being a junk-food company.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Jwolf wrote:.... Pepsi now owns Gatorade... is it really that much different?

Yes. Gatorade is actually a sports drink. I don't know what the f*** a "Little Debbies" is
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm

turd ferguson wrote:God knows I'm as right wing capitalist Ayn Rand survival of the fittest Reaganomics as the next Calgarian, but is "money is money" the answer to everything? If Marlboro walks up with a bag full of cash to sponsor an Ironman do you take it?

Bud Light used to sponsor Kona....WTC is a business. They're driven by profits. I wouldn't be surprised if Marlboro waltzed in with money to sponsor an event they would be shooed away. WTC would spin it in some manner. And yes, while it sounds much better to have Subaru, Ford, Toyota or Go Pro sponsor an event, I bet it would be hard to turn away money.

I believe there's limits, but it's funny to read some of the reactions on Slowtwitch....http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... P5122521-2
Race Hard. Race Happy.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Jwolf wrote:

That's my thinking too.

It doesn't sit right with me that a company that makes sugary junk-food is sponsoring IM. But.... Pepsi now owns Gatorade... is it really that much different?

The kicker too is that the Chattanooga race is to benefit Chrohn's and Colitis Foundation. Seems like a bit of a conflict there with the title sponsor being a junk-food company.

you haven't seen all the sugary junk-food crap ironman athletes consume during training and the event, have you? gatorade, gels, sports beans, honey stingers, gel blast gummies, coke, cookies, chips (yes, not sugar, but crap). the token bananas are just for show. LOL!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:08 pm

CinC wrote:

Bud Light used to sponsor Kona....WTC is a business. They're driven by profits. I wouldn't be surprised if Marlboro waltzed in with money to sponsor an event they would be shooed away. WTC would spin it in some manner. And yes, while it sounds much better to have Subaru, Ford, Toyota or Go Pro sponsor an event, I bet it would be hard to turn away money.

I believe there's limits, but it's funny to read some of the reactions on Slowtwitch....http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowt ... P5122521-2

Michelob Ultra still sponsors a race series. I have a jersey (bought at the Pearl Izumi outlet).

I haven't had lunch yet and I think my blood sugar is down, causing me to say leftist things like "is this right?" and "maybe they shouldn't take the money". I'm sure it will all be clearer to me later this afternoon.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:11 pm

CinC wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

That's my thinking too.

you haven't seen all the sugary junk-food crap ironman athletes consume during training and the event, have you? gatorade, gels, sports beans, honey stingers, gel blast gummies, coke, cookies, chips (yes, not sugar, but crap). the token bananas are just for show. LOL!

Isn't there a difference between firing down calories in all forms while training for an epic race, and firing down calories in all forms while being a fatty watching Netflix all day? There's no law that says I have to have a salad after 90k on the bike just because my sedentary neighbour is covered head to toe in cheetos dust.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:07 pm

CinC wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

That's my thinking too.

Yes, I have seen it.

I still think it's odd as the title sponsor. I also think it's odd to have beer companies as title sponsors.

But maybe we could say the same thing about banks.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Jwolf wrote:
CinC wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

That's my thinking too.

Yes, I have seen it.

I still think it's odd as the title sponsor. I also think it's odd to have beer companies as title sponsors.

Scotiabank made a couple billion dollars last year and they sponsored the Calgary Marathon. Now I feel dirty.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:44 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
CinC wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

That's my thinking too.

Yes, I have seen it.

Scotiabank made a couple billion dollars last year and they sponsored the Calgary Marathon. Now I feel dirty.

I didn't say anything about it being a problem to have corporate sponsorship. I just mean not all races can be sponsored by companies that promote athletics. So once you get past that, it really doesn't matter who is sponsoring a race, does it? Beer company? Car company? Bank?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Jwolf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
CinC wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

That's my thinking too.

Yes, I have seen it.

I didn't say anything about it being a problem to have corporate sponsorship. I just mean not all races can be sponsored by companies that promote athletics. So once you get past that, it really doesn't matter who is sponsoring a race, does it? Beer company? Car company? Bank?

You didn't say why it was odd, and everybody hates banks these days.

Michelob Ultra sponsors triathlons, Subaru sponsors triathlons, Scotiabank and BMO sponsor races. What they have in common is not athletes but consumers with tons of disposable income. Makes perfect sense to me.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:53 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Michelob Ultra sponsors triathlons, Subaru sponsors triathlons, Scotiabank and BMO sponsor races. What they have in common is not athletes but consumers with tons of disposable income. Makes perfect sense to me.

Little Debbie doesn't really seem to fit into that category, does it? So maybe that's the oddest part...

I guess it's just a big local company and employer.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:31 pm

I can see the post race movie now: Little Debbie does Chattanooga. Does seem like a bit strange for a title IM sponsor but I guess money is money and the Marlboro Man did at least look healthy. Nothing wrong with a beer company sponsoring a race. The amount of free beer quaffed by the runners in the brewery parking lot after the Boilermaker race is quite substantial.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:33 pm

It's been a long time since cigarette companies were allowed to sponsor events in Ontario (maybe even Canada). More recently, beer companies weren't allowed to sponsor events (e.g., Molson Indy was changed to Honda Indy).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:16 am

Triathletes as a group are the biggest crap-food eaters I know! Little Debbie clearly knows their target market. :lol:

When you're burning 10000 cal training each week, the occasional Little Debbie is barely even a sin, the folks in my area get together and eat much worse stuff... they even ride to destinations to facilitate mid-ride crap eating. I recall that one thread that started asking about "does alcohol impede performance?" and by the end had turned into everyone listing their favourite brews. :dance:

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:40 am

jonovision_man wrote:Triathletes as a group are the biggest crap-food eaters I know! Little Debbie clearly knows their target market. :lol:

When you're burning 10000 cal training each week, the occasional Little Debbie is barely even a sin, the folks in my area get together and eat much worse stuff... they even ride to destinations to facilitate mid-ride crap eating. I recall that one thread that started asking about "does alcohol impede performance?" and by the end had turned into everyone listing their favourite brews. :dance:

jono

Of course. But we're required to pretend that we live like the athletic equivalents of Franciscan monks, never allowing junk food to pass our lips and looking down our emaciated noses and clucking at anything with too much salt/sugar/carbs/fat/MSG/azodicarbonamide, or whatever the current ingredient du jour is.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:03 pm

I was once a tri-poser but I would reserve my extra calorie burn for booze. Little Debbie be damned.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:32 am

turd ferguson wrote: I don't know what the f*** a "Little Debbies" is

I believe it is a handheld cake.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:51 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:
turd ferguson wrote: I don't know what the f*** a "Little Debbies" is

I believe it is a handheld cake.

:lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:48 pm

It's a snack-food company that makes processed cakes and cookies- similar to our Dare. And it's based in Tennessee.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:15 am

Their advertising has certainly increased brand awareness. Winning. ;)

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Return to “The Dark Side”