IM Lake Tahoe

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

IM Lake Tahoe

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 am

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/09/21/ ... ire-smoke/

Cancelled at the last minute!
The call was made at the last moment, after thousands of competitors and race personnel descended on Kings Beach State Park for a planned 6:30 a.m. start.

What an incredible bummer!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: IM Lake Tahoe

Postby trixiee » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

wow. i couldn't imagine...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 am

They knew there were serious chances of this happening leading up to Sunday, but postponed a decision, hoping the winds would shift and allow the race to proceed. That didn't happen and they were concerned about the respiratory health of the participants.

Sucks for all those that were trained and literally suited up and ready to go. Many people traveled far to get there too.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 am

That sucks.

IMC almost went the same way in 2003 with the barriere fire - IIRC they turned the run and bike courses into short loops so that racers and volunteers weren't spread too far out from town, and also to ease the draw on emergency services.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:23 am

turd ferguson wrote:That sucks.

IMC almost went the same way in 2003 with the barriere fire - IIRC they turned the run and bike courses into short loops so that racers and volunteers weren't spread too far out from town, and also to ease the draw on emergency services.

It was the Okanagan Mountain Fire. A little closer than Barriere. I don't remember them turning the course into loops, though.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34 am

FishPants wrote:

It was the Okanagan Mountain Fire. A little closer than Barriere. I don't remember them turning the course into loops, though.

You're right - Barriere is nowhere near there. There were so many fires that summer (including one that trapped us in Radium) I got confused.

Here's what I got with a bit of googling - the swim and run were looped, not the bike

http://carolyngebbie.com/news/ironman_c ... port.shtml

The swim would now be a two loop course held closer to shore. The bike route would be unchanged as the highway had been reopened that morning. The run, which is normally out along the shore of Skaha Lake to Okanagan Falls and then back into town, would be changed to a 3 loop in-town format to keep the athletes within 4 miles of a hospital at all time in case of difficulties from smoke inhalation.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:19 pm

The reason I remember it was the Okanagan Mountain Fire is I was staying at my parents' when it started, and my mom was head of emergency operations for Area E (Naramata). My brand-new boyfriend, and my friend Emma from Wales were helping search and rescue advise people of the evacuation alert, and I was at the fire hall answering the phone, since the local news had put the fire hall number up on the screen saying "Call for information about the evacuation alert" and the phone was ringing off the hook.

We left town before IMC, though, since I celebrated my birthday in Calgary that year. Which is why I don't remember about the loops :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:39 pm

It looks like they are making reasonable offers for those who were shut out of the race-- with options for very reduced prices for several different events for 2015.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm quite impressed with what they're offering those affected yesterday. Sucks is the money spent on travel, but at least you have options if you were standing on the beach yesterday ready for to race (this is copied from a post on Slowtwitch):

You have been identified as one of the athletes who checked in at registration for IRONMAN Lake Tahoe. We understand your disappointment with the unfortunate cancellation of yesterday's race. As an accommodation, we are offering you the opportunity to register for one of several races in 2014 and 2015. The deadline for registration is October 15, 2014. In addition, anyone that completes registration for Option 1, 2, or 3 below by October 15, 2014 will be entered into a lottery to win one of 50 slots to the 2015 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. The lottery slots will be selected on November 14, 2014.

Option 1
Register for one of the following 2014 events for a reduced entry fee of $100 (a limited number of entries will be made available on a first-come, first served basis):

Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga benefitting Crohn's & Colitis (9/28/14) - 100 entries
IRONMAN Barcelona (10/5/14) - 50 entries
IRONMAN Florida (11/1/14) - 50 entries
IRONMAN Fortaleza (11/9/14) - 100 entries
IRONMAN Arizona presented by Waste Management (11/16/14) - 50 entries
Ford IRONMAN Cozumel (11/30/14) - 250 entries
Sunsmart IRONMAN Western Australia (12/7/14) - 100 entries

Option 2
Register for 2015 IRONMAN Lake Tahoe (9/20/15) for a reduced entry fee of $100.

Option 3
Register for one of the following 2015 events at a 50% discount (available on a first-come, first-served basis, offer valid for new entries only, existing entries will not be partially refunded):

Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas presented by Waste Management (5/16/15)
IRONMAN Coeur d'Alene (6/28/15)
Subaru IRONMAN Canada (7/26/15)
IRONMAN Boulder (8/2/15)
Subaru IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant (8/16/15)
IRONMAN Wisconsin (9/13/15)
IRONMAN Maryland (10/3/15)
IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health (10/11/15)
Race Hard. Race Happy.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

wow - those options are pretty much as good as it can get!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 am

FishPants wrote:The reason I remember it was the Okanagan Mountain Fire is I was staying at my parents' when it started, and my mom was head of emergency operations for Area E (Naramata). My brand-new boyfriend, and my friend Emma from Wales were helping search and rescue advise people of the evacuation alert, and I was at the fire hall answering the phone, since the local news had put the fire hall number up on the screen saying "Call for information about the evacuation alert" and the phone was ringing off the hook.

We left town before IMC, though, since I celebrated my birthday in Calgary that year. Which is why I don't remember about the loops :)

I remember pulling into Kelowna and it was raining ash a few days before the race.
My gf at the time and I were set to stay in her dad's place for a day or two in South Kelowna on the east side of the lake.
We pulled into the driveway at around 9:30pm and could see bright flames raging over a ridge not far to the south of us!
We were evacuated less than 30mins later. A lot of homes were lost in that neighbourhood (the ex's dad's house survived without damage).
Was an interesting weekend at IMC that year.

Bummed for the Tahoe participants. Hope they find replacement races...
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:10 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
FishPants wrote:

You're right - Barriere is nowhere near there. There were so many fires that summer (including one that trapped us in Radium) I got confused.

Here's what I got with a bit of googling - the swim and run were looped, not the bike

http://carolyngebbie.com/news/ironman_c ... port.shtml

The swim would now be a two loop course held closer to shore. The bike route would be unchanged as the highway had been reopened that morning. The run, which is normally out along the shore of Skaha Lake to Okanagan Falls and then back into town, would be changed to a 3 loop in-town format to keep the athletes within 4 miles of a hospital at all time in case of difficulties from smoke inhalation.

Interesting! The Okanagan Mountain Fire was certainly a concern, but from what my BIL told me it was the Vaseux Lake fire that was hindering the race; specifically the bike route. The run also follows the earlier stages of the bike route, so it was interesting that the run was changed and the bike route was left unchanged. The Vaseux Lake fire was further south of Ok Falls, closer to Oliver. My BIL volunteered during 2003 IMC and lives in the area. He said Skaha Lake was closed to boating as the water bombers were constantly filling up there; from dusk to dawn.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am

A friend of mine was going to do IMLT as her first IM. She was pissed to say the least. She was warming up in the water when the official word came down. She said that the fire was set by an arsonist to make matters worse. She said that most of the participants aren't too happy with the options presented for 2014 or 2015 races. Many of them felt that they should be able to register for more races at a discounted price.
Carm

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 am

carm wrote:A friend of mine was going to do IMLT as her first IM. She was pissed to say the least. She was warming up in the water when the official word came down. She said that the fire was set by an arsonist to make matters worse. She said that most of the participants aren't too happy with the options presented for 2014 or 2015 races. Many of them felt that they should be able to register for more races at a discounted price.

Wow, that would be heartbreaking, warming up to only be told your first IM is cancelled, ugh.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 pm

eme wrote:
carm wrote:A friend of mine was going to do IMLT as her first IM. She was pissed to say the least. She was warming up in the water when the official word came down. She said that the fire was set by an arsonist to make matters worse. She said that most of the participants aren't too happy with the options presented for 2014 or 2015 races. Many of them felt that they should be able to register for more races at a discounted price.

Wow, that would be heartbreaking, warming up to only be told your first IM is cancelled, ugh.

Yep. It was. She's drowning her sorrows in San Francisco now.
Carm

Return to “The Dark Side”