The Pull Buoy Debate...

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

The Pull Buoy Debate...

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:22 am

Very interesting. I've never been a fan but the logic in Sutton's piece makes sense to me.

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

The fact is swimming with a modified pull-buoy will enhance every age-group athlete in some capacity with their swim. As for the debate about on how much pull-buoy work you should do? There is no debate. Feel free to use the pull-buoy as much and as often as you like. Do so with the confidence that it will not hurt your swim.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: The Pull Buoy Debate...

Postby La » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 am

So why the hesitation in using the big three – pull-buoy, paddles, band? The big hang up with swimming equipment seems to be that because it makes swimming easier then it’s a ‘cheat’. That if it’s not hard then you mustn’t be working. This statement is so misplaced around a swimming pool it ranks right up there with the myth about the need to be ‘smooth’ in the water. As if Janet Evans hadn’t demolished that one 30 years ago.

Sort of the same irrational thinking triathletes use for not drafting on a long group ride.

I am pro-PB. But I know that I have a very inefficient kick*, to the point where it really holds me back (I am 10 seconds faster per 100m with a PB than without). Does this mean I should forego the PB in favour of the kick board? It takes me almost 4 times as long to do a lap of kicking as it would a lap of swimming. And then my legs are tired.

That said, I generally only use my PB during w/u or c/d, or if it's specified in the workout set. Maybe I should be using it more often... :think: Of course, that would mean that I'd actually have to go to the pool! :lol:

*And it's not an issue of my legs being too low in the water, they aren't. And I'm not "cycling" my legs or anything, I'm actually doing a proper kick, I just don't go anywhere!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:41 am

Interesting- thanks for the link.

The author also ask talk about paddles and bands, both of when make the workout much tougher. No mention of fins though. I know many people aren't a fan of fins, but they have helped me with my body position a lot. I use them for only a percentage of my drill set. (Don't read this, Greg N! ;) ). But I am finding it helps and I agree with the idea of doing whatever helps to keep me in the pool longer. :)

My current coach doesn't do any drills with the pull buoy and j haven't used it in my practice swims since the summer....
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Oh, and for the record, I am also a fan of Pool Boys! :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Mark.AU wrote:Very interesting. I've never been a fan but the logic in Sutton's piece makes sense to me.

http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

The fact is swimming with a modified pull-buoy will enhance every age-group athlete in some capacity with their swim. As for the debate about on how much pull-buoy work you should do? There is no debate. Feel free to use the pull-buoy as much and as often as you like. Do so with the confidence that it will not hurt your swim.

Here's the more interesting quote:

Pull-buoys also mimic wetsuit swimming, which is an entirely different body position than normal non-wetsuit position. It is by far much closer in biomechanics to a wetsuit swim than bad swimmers struggling along trying to hold techniques that feel very restricting.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 pm

La wrote:Oh, and for the record, I am also a fan of Pool Boys! :lol:

Another birthday...and getting sassier.
I like it :D :D :wink:

I have no business being in this thread btw :roll: :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Jwolf wrote:Interesting- thanks for the link.

The author also ask talk about paddles and bands, both of when make the workout much tougher. No mention of fins though. I know many people aren't a fan of fins, but they have helped me with my body position a lot. I use them for only a percentage of my drill set. (Don't read this, Greg N! ;) ). But I am finding it helps and I agree with the idea of doing whatever helps to keep me in the pool longer. :)

My current coach doesn't do any drills with the pull buoy and j haven't used it in my practice swims since the summer....

The fins are giving you extra propulsion, which helps you with your body position.
However, they also help you move, so they make swimming easier.
The pull buoy gives you the body position without making it easier on your arms. A better workout.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

Return to “The Dark Side”