Another convert

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Another convert

Postby Dstew » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:12 pm

Actually a return to the fold after a very long absence. Giant Defy 2 Advance carbon with disc brakes from Cyclepath. First time with clip in shoes and loving it. Crazy fast and looking forward to doing the Banff Fondo in 13 months.

My first true ride was a slight uphill and into a 40 kph wind. Then I went down an unknown route that had a number of very good up hills. Not use to using the legs all of the time as with the standard pedal, a short "rest". Covered in sweat, got the heck beaten out of me but could not wipe the grin from my face. I had remembered the crashes from the "bad" old days but forget the thrill of slight down hill, good wind at my back as I chased down a dump truck going around 60 kph. Was not able to stay with him for long but it was exciting and fun for as long as it lasted.

The "plan" subject to numerous changes and modifications is to just have fun doing 30 - 60 k rides this year. Use the spinner bike as much as possible over the winter. Run a marathon in May but make sure I ride at least twice a week and then following the marathon, switch gears over to a bike focused regime.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: Anotehr convert

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Nice wheels. :)
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Nice bike.

Banff Fondo is in one month, not 13 months. You're a fit guy, its well within your capability to do it this year.

ETA: Or this one might be more to your liking

http://events.mec.ca/event/100731/mec-c ... ntury-ride
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: Another convert

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Banff GranFondo - looks like a really cool ride.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:46 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Nice bike.

Banff Fondo is in one month, not 13 months. You're a fit guy, its well within your capability to do it this year.

ETA: Or this one might be more to your liking

http://events.mec.ca/event/100731/mec-c ... ntury-ride

I do appreciate the words of encouragement but I am not real road bike fit or at least where I would want to be in order for me to get the most out of the event. I want to go outside of my comfort zone but short of the punishing zone. Related, I do not merely want to finish but actually cycle the course. Plus, I have the Moose Mountain race the week after and I am trying out my new found age related wisdom not to over do things.

Will have to give serious consideration for MEC is thanks for the heads up. I have a hybrid/ commuter bike and have enjoyed literally commuting and riding around the on bike paths but it has been decades since I have been on a road bike and on the road. Way back when, I would get on my bike in Brentwood and ride out to Cochrane for McKay ice cream in order to prepare myself for the climb back up the Cochrane hill. I did not have much talent and steel bike with stone tires but it was fun and a great workout. Looking at all of the Fondos in the general area - Highwood pass, Badlands, Canmore and Cranbrook - I am a little sad I did not discover this sooner. On the other hand, the universe is clearly unfolding as it should for as I am slowly winding down my run race "career" with a spring marathon every so often, the Fondos are a nice thing to transition to. The low impact nature of biking really does suit me current condition.

I did sign up for how to change a flat tire workshop. Knock on wood, I have never had a flat on the road. But given the amount of time I plan to cycling, it would seem that will be inevitable.

Return to “The Dark Side”