A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Brownlee Power!

Postby jonovision_man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:40 am

Wow :shock:
http://runningmagazine.ca/alistair-brow ... on-finale/

Feel good moment of the year! :lol:

Kind of a weird sacrifice, though - he could have won the race, instead he helped his brother not with the championship? Maybe in the moment math was hard. :)

Also to be consistent with my grumpy self - being physically thrown across the line by another competitor seems like too much assistance! Rules apparently allow it? But that should really change, even if it robs us of future feel good moments of the year. What's next, a piggy-back ride to the finish?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Brownlee Power!

Postby La » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:41 pm

There was a follow-up interview with them on the BBC where Alistair corrected his brother when he said that he sacrificed 2nd place for him (he thinks he sacrificed first).

But your point is valid: When I saw him push his brother across the finish line, I wondered how much of that was "legal."

I also wondered why the eventual winner from SA was putting on such a big show for winning, when he might have only won due to Alistair's decision to help his brother (we can never know for sure).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Yup, from my understanding ... athletes and officials on the course are able to assist one another, but, as you can see in the video, he literally shoved his brother over the finish line ahead of him, on his own power, err, albeit Newton's Law of Gravity and Continuous Motion? Ha !!!

The eventual race winner, as was the eventual series Champion, so it was a moot point anyways, whether he finished the race anyways, from my understanding ??
Last edited by HCcD on Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:47 pm

HCcD wrote:Yup, from my understanding ... athletes and officials on the course are able to assist one another, but, as you can see in the video, he literally shoved his brother over the finish line ahead of him, on his own power, err, albeit Newton's Law of Gravity and Continuous Motion? Ha !!!

The eventual race winner was also the eventual series Champion, so it was a moot point anyways, whether he finished the race anyways, from my understanding ??

He had to give him the shove, in order to make sure that he got over the line, but did not appear to be a contrived or intentional tie (that is illegal).

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:21 pm

HCcD wrote:The eventual race winner was also the eventual series Champion, so it was a moot point anyways, whether he finished the race anyways, from my understanding ??

Ah, OK. So that makes sense why he's be celebrating so hard. If the SA guy had come second, he still would have won the series?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:53 pm

La wrote:
HCcD wrote:The eventual race winner was also the eventual series Champion, so it was a moot point anyways, whether he finished the race anyways, from my understanding ??

Ah, OK. So that makes sense why he's be celebrating so hard. If the SA guy had come second, he still would have won the series?

The series winner was actually Mola from Spain who came in 5th in this last race. If Jonny had come in first, then he would have won the series (he ended up coming in second). Schoeman from RSA came in 4th in the series, so he was celebrating his win. Since Jonny wasn't going to finish without Alistair's help, it's possible that Schoeman could have still won since he was right with Alistair earlier.
Alistair ended up placing 10th overall in the standings.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/triathlon/37402716

eta: the video isn't great quality but you can watch the last few minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheRqd6bJYw
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm

thx Jen

video made me cry
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:

The series winner was actually Mola from Spain who came in 5th in this last race. If Jonny had come in first, then he would have won the series (he ended up coming in second). Schoeman from RSA came in 4th in the series, so he was celebrating his win. Since Jonny wasn't going to finish without Alistair's help, it's possible that Schoeman could have still won since he was right with Alistair earlier.
Alistair ended up placing 10th overall in the standings.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/triathlon/37402716

eta: the video isn't great quality but you can watch the last few minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheRqd6bJYw

Oh yeah, made a typo in my post some where, apparently ?? :shifty:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:01 pm

finally had a chance to watch it - crazy!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 pm

jonovision_man wrote:Kind of a weird sacrifice, though - he could have won the race, instead he helped his brother not with the championship? Maybe in the moment math was hard. :)
jono

Here's how I understand it--
Alistair didn't have anything to gain in the series by winning the race since he was already too far back in the overall standings. So he sacrificed his own chance at winning the race to help his brother. Jonny would have won the series if he had come in first place (which was obviously not happening at that point), but Alistair helping him kept him in second place overall. Spain protested and thought he should be disqualified, but it is allowed to receive help from other competitors.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:25 am

Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:Kind of a weird sacrifice, though - he could have won the race, instead he helped his brother not with the championship? Maybe in the moment math was hard. :)
jono

Alistair didn't have anything to gain in the series by winning the race since he was already too far back in the overall standings. So he sacrificed his own chance at winning the race to help his brother. Jonny would have won the series if he had come in first place (which was obviously not happening at that point), but Alistair helping him kept him in second place overall. Spain protested and thought he should be disqualified, but it is allowed to receive help from other competitors.

He had something to gain from winning the race... WINNING THE RACE!

That's why they're out here, these overall series points things are a sideshow IMO!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:28 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
jono

He had something to gain from winning the race... WINNING THE RACE!

That's why they're out here, these overall series points things are a sideshow IMO!

jono

I realize that. I meant he didn't have anything to gain in the series standings.
Either way he knew he was giving up his chance to win to help his brother- that was obviously more important to him at that instant. THAT is why he was out there.

Eta: Alistair had some nice comments after, saying "it was the right thing to do", and even if it had been Schoeman he would have helped him across the line. So I don't think he was worried about his math at the time.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Jwolf wrote:I realize that. I meant he didn't have anything to gain in the series standings.
Either way he knew he was giving up his chance to win to help his brother- that was obviously more important to him at that instant. THAT is why he was out there.

Eta: Alistair had some nice comments after, saying "it was the right thing to do", and even if it had been Schoeman he would have helped him across the line. So I don't think he was worried about his math at the time.

The "right thing to do" is subjective. In my opinion, the right thing to do is to let each athlete succeed or fail on their own merit.

If someone's body can't take the race conditions, the appropriate result for them is a DNF, not to be literally thrown across the line for a result they didn't earn.

Can you imagine what would have happened if he had actually clinched the championship that way? :shock:

jono
Visit my blog!

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:27 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Jwolf wrote:I realize that. I meant he didn't have anything to gain in the series standings.

The "right thing to do" is subjective. In my opinion, the right thing to do is to let each athlete succeed or fail on their own merit.

If someone's body can't take the race conditions, the appropriate result for them is a DNF, not to be literally thrown across the line for a result they didn't earn.

Can you imagine what would have happened if he had actually clinched the championship that way? :shock:

jono

This was a professional race and both got money for finishing and thus did not really tug at my heart string. If anything, a guy completely screws up and yet is "rewarded" for poor execution of a strategy.

Return to “The Dark Side”