Time limit for Try-A-Tri Swim?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

TeamHoundandRedhead
Percy Williams

Time limit for Try-A-Tri Swim?

Postby TeamHoundandRedhead » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 am

Y'all already know that I'm teaching myself how to swim with the ultimate goal being the TriMuskokan Try-A-Tri (in like 2 years, lol.) My question is:

Does anybody know what the time limit is for the swim part? (350m)

I just need a goal to work toward. Thank you!

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Time limit for Try-A-Tri Swim?

Postby eme » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 am

I find that Try a Tris do not have a cut off, as they are meant to encourage first time triathletes.

I would focus on being comfortable in the water and not on an arbitrary swim time.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:12 pm

If there's a time limit it's usually fairly generous (like 4:00/100m). Like eme said- I wouldn't worry about it.

You can probably set your sights on something sooner than on year, though. ;) (says the girl who has only done tris in pools :oops: )
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

TeamHoundandRedhead
Percy Williams

Postby TeamHoundandRedhead » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Thank you both! Yes I'm working on being comfortable in the water, that was a big part of this. I can swim one length now with my head up (I haven't figured out bilateral breathing yet) and could swim longer except my shoulders get so sore. Will keep working on putting my face in the water and also just going across the pool & back. I figure if the pool at the gym is 25m I need to go across it 14 times so there's my goal. Just wondered if I needed a goal time too.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 pm

TeamHoundandRedhead wrote:Thank you both! Yes I'm working on being comfortable in the water, that was a big part of this. I can swim one length now with my head up (I haven't figured out bilateral breathing yet) and could swim longer except my shoulders get so sore. Will keep working on putting my face in the water and also just going across the pool & back. I figure if the pool at the gym is 25m I need to go across it 14 times so there's my goal. Just wondered if I needed a goal time too.

Bilateral breathing isn't actually as important as just knowing how to breathe on both sides.

Have you considered a swim class? Swimming is pretty technique-intensive and you don't want to develop bad habits-- they tend to stick forever. Once you learn the right technique you'll probably find that increasing your distance comes fairly easily.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:18 pm

There is (usually) no time limit.
My first couple of event swims I looked back as I was getting out of the water and the safety canoe/kayak was following me in.
I said to myself "someone has to be last out of the water", then went out and caught a few people on the bike and on the run.
Give 'er, I'd be honored to hold your beer until you're finished. :wink:
"You're in over your head Donny..."

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:58 am

MrBond wrote:There is (usually) no time limit.
My first couple of event swims I looked back as I was getting out of the water and the safety canoe/kayak was following me in.
I said to myself "someone has to be last out of the water", then went out and caught a few people on the bike and on the run.
Give 'er, I'd be honored to hold your beer until you're finished. :wink:

+1 to all of this. I was 2nd last out of the water in my only tri using a combo of attempted freestyle, doggy paddle and thrashing around in the water :lol: I think the swim was between 100-150m and it took me a few seconds under 6 min.

I also second the recommendation for swim lessons above. I learned a ton from joining my local masters swim club a few years ago. There were lanes for all speeds and abilities and the coaches helped a lot with my form.

Return to “The Dark Side”