Waynerdog's ATB & why I LOVE Maniacs!!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Waynerdog's ATB & why I LOVE Maniacs!!!

Postby waynerdog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:23 am

If I wasn't typing this on my BlackBerry, there would be :-) everywhere. Does that tell you how much I loved this event?!

Saturday we get to the expo. Jo Jo sees my RM hat, runs up to Nasim and me, and hugs the stuffing out of us!!! Then we meet Mr Bond and we end up chatting for about 15 minutes. I know already this is going to be a great weekend!

Sunday morning we get to Copps about 90 minutes before race start. Already there is a sea of orange there. We meet Irongirl and TracyW, Doonst and Holymoly, Tortoise and Mike Runs, La and Trixiee, etc etc. This day is getting better by the minute!

Race starts and we are running at a 3h30m pace with about eight Maniacs. There is orange from one side of the road to the other.

Ran most of the first 15k with Nasim, Holymoly, and Amber-Leigh. We did 10&1s the entire race, and I watched the clock so everyone else could just focus on keeping their feet moving and having as much fun as possible.

At 15k we traded in Amber-Leigh for a_beacher, and we were off running again. By this time we had also picked up a couple non-Maniacs who seemed to think we were having a lot of fun (we were) and liked the pace we were setting.

The four of us (Nasim, Ania, Annette, and I) ran together until about 23k, when Holymoly had to back off a bit. but we had already shared a few cheers of "2* k and I FEEL GREAT" at the top of our lungs so between that and her magic spud, Ania was doing fine!

At the end of the day, I crossed the finish line holding non-Maniac Katherine's hand with Nasim holding her other hand. It was the first time she (Katherine) had ever run more than 23k in her entire life and we helped her through the toughest Ks. It was very inspiring to us to be a part of such an awesome day for someone who was utterly thrilled with her time and crossing the finish line. She was very emotional talking about how this would help show her two daughters that anything is possible. Very, very cool!

So in the end, chip time was 3h23m18s. Don't really care though. The real reason I loved this race and this experience was it reminded me what RM and being a Maniac is all about - having fun, celebrating together, sharing each other's joy and pain, embracing life, and taking each other's hands and feeling the strength and power and determination that can get us through anything in life.

Things I will remember forever:
- running start to finish with Nasim, my very special friend
- getting to run with so many Maniacs and having so many laughs together
- Cattitude and her Tigger costume, with the best RM spirit ever! (I so wanted to stop and give a hug, but alas I was pacing people at that point, so I just laughed and thanked her!)
- pacing Amber-Leigh, Ania, and Annette for so much of the race and having so much fun together cheering, laughing, petting puppies, and soaking in every drop of the experience
- crossing the finish line with someone I had never met before and getting a huge thank-you hug
- seeing Ania at the finish area and getting another super hug
- the utter generosity and friendship of Lightning, Mr Lightning, and Dierdree for putting together and hosting the after party (THANK YOU!!!!!!!)
- meeting so many Maniacs for the first time (everyone mentioned above, plus dgrant, QuickChick, solo running chick, bebette, Lightning, BaldGuy, Robbie-T, and many others I haven't even mentioned yet)
- *** meeting Maniacs face-to-face for the first time and talking and having fun together like we were old friends who have known each other for years ***

I want to thank all of you for making this such an amazing experience for me! It was the most fun race I have ever run. Special mention goes to those I ran most or all of the race with - Ania, Amber-Leigh, Annette, and Nasim. This will be a race I will never forget!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:26 am

Sounds like you had a great time!! Awesome :D
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:28 am

Thanks for the great report, waynerDog .... it appears that you seemed to have taken in all the festivities to be had and really, really taken the opportunity to enjoying the moment at ATB .. Good for ya .... :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:32 am

It was great meeting you too, Wayne! You've got a really great energy that exemplifies what being a Maniac is all about!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:35 am

Waynerdog, it was great meeting you too! We really wanted to run with you the whole way. We tried speeding up so that we could have our pit stop and have enough time to catch up again, but it still didn't work out well as you were hard to catch. And then you picked up your pace, like you said you would, after the 15K and we just couldn't keep up.

I must say, as we were running, everyone could feel the positive energy coming from you and your group. And you could see that people that weren't maniacs wanted to be part of it too! I think you have recruited quite a few new members during that 30K!

Thanks for making the part that we ran with you so much fun! You are a great RM ambassador. And it was so much fun to meet you and put a face to the name!
Jane

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:39 am

It was great meeting you, too, Wayne. Sounds like you had a great time!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:39 am

La wrote:It was great meeting you too, Wayne! You've got a really great energy that exemplifies what being a Maniac is all about!

You took the words right off my fingertips La...

Wayne - you're a riot, one of the warmest, friendliest Maniacs I've had the pleasure of meeting... It was nice to be able to run with you and the Orange Crush for the first few KM...

You are an awesome pacer & one day, I'm hoping to take advantage of that :wink:

Looking forward to hopefully catching up with you again on your home turf in May... if not..

ING Edmonton perhaps? 8)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:44 am

Great to meet you, Wayne, even if it was only for a couple of minutes at Copps. Glad you had a blast out on the course. It is a fun event, especially when it is an orange day....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:47 am

You make a very good first impression, Wayner, great to meet you. Nice run!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:47 am

What a beautiful report...written from the heart...and from my brief encounter with you, you have a big one :D
You expressed so well what makes RM so great :D
Looking forward to seeing you at NCM!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:51 am

What an awesome report... wow Wayne, you totally rock. Congrats on doing such a fabulous job and helping so many while doing it! 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

The Joggler
Bruce Kidd

Postby The Joggler » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:53 am

Way to go, Wayne. Sorry, I didn't see you there ... next time.

Michal

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 am

I love you too!! :wink:
I was waiting for your race report because I was curious to see how you viewed this race. I know while we were out there you were having a great time and you kept the mood light. It wasn't my strongest running performce and I fell behind you guys for the last few K's but I could hear your group come out with cheers every now and again. I felt like you guys were eoing it to pull me along - thanks !!

You have a way about you that perks people up. (even those not really running with you too!). I believe there will be a few new Maniacs (Chris) and we have you to thank for that. You are a shining example of a Maniac! It was a priviledge to run with you.

Any chance you'll be in town on "business" next year too? :wink:
Last edited by a_beacher on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:35 am

Very nice report Wayne! It was nice meeting you.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:36 am

Sounds like a fabulous time. I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you and the rest of the ATB maniacs- hopefully our paths will cross sometime soon.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

nasim
Johnny Miles

Postby nasim » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:40 am

Wayne,

I enjoyed reading your report this morning. Although we have been talking about that day and reminiscing ever since, it's still fun to read your report. It ws definitely the most special race I have ever run in my entire life.

I feel so blessed to have the Wayberdog family in my life. Wayne, you are so motivating and inspiring I don't know what I would have done without your support to get through one of the most difficult times of my life.

Can't wait to run the next race with you. You are a ton of fun and positive energy. Keep it up.
======================================
Toronto Waterfront Marathon - September 27, 2009
======================================

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:11 am

Awesome race report!! It was great to hang out with you! I was there at the 25th km and love the cheering!! =) You were really the "cool kids" of the race and everyone around wanted to run with you guys!!

I'm glad you had fun, in a way this is what it's all about!! =)
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:18 am

Doonst wrote:You make a very good first impression, Wayner, great to meet you. Nice run!

Agree 100%. Can't wait 'til you're back this way again!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:19 am

Congrats Wayne! Can't wait to run a race with you....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:09 pm

The real reason I loved this race and this experience was it reminded me what RM and being a Maniac is all about - having fun, celebrating together, sharing each other's joy and pain, embracing life, and taking each other's hands and feeling the strength and power and determination that can get us through anything in life.

Amen to that!

Wayne, it was a huge pleasure to meet you! Hope you can make it to Ontario again soon... or Chicago in October?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:20 pm

What a great report Wayne!!! :D Hope to see you in Ottawa.

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:21 pm

Congratulations Wayne and thanks for a delightful race report. It was a pleasure to meet you at Copps for our very brief intro and handshake ... "You must be redhead", and "You must be Waynerdog!". My hubby thought it was quite amusing that of all the maniacs racing the ATB that day, the only one I actually met in person was the one who flew in all the way from Alberta, LOL! (We lived in AB back in the '70's).

Your friendliness and enthusiasm shines like a beacon. Way to go on making the ATB so much fun and such a success for everyone around you.

Arlene

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:27 pm

It was very nice meeting you. Wow you really enjoy running, I can feel the love in your report. Thanks for sharing. This inspires me.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Sounds like you had a lot of fun - this is what running is about! :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Great report! Look forward to meeting you in Ottawa!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”