Doonst runs PEC hoping to PB and BQ. Edit: I'm In!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:05 am

Great race Sheldon! Way to gut it out! I would send the e-mail too. If they accept you, you have qualified. I think you certainly showed out there that you have the guts and determination and marathon spirit to run Boston.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:18 am

Sheldon....if you had it in you yesterday, you will have it in you next time....super job....be proud.
Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:28 am

You are a great runner Sheldon. This is tough being so close. There are so many variables in a marathon; any little things can spoil a great race.

As far as applying for Boston, go for it and run a qualifying time there...
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:03 am

Great race, Doonst. As others have said, Way to lay it all out on the line! This is what the spirit of Boston is all about.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:07 am

Congrats Sheldon, and great race. You are very deserving of going to Boston.

I am thinking about your "before" picture that is posted in some thread, and how far you have come in your running, you should be so proud!

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:08 am

Wow Doonst, I was captivated reading your race report. When I saw that you had missed your goal by 7 seconds I couldn't believe it. Without hesitation I would send in your application. You ran one hell of a race and you dug deep. You left it all out there and that's all anyone can ask for. Congratulations!!!
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 am

you are a great runner, sounds like a tough one but still a PB

you are still young, Boston will happen

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 am

You have to keep in mind that everyone applies to Boston, some have just been told beforehand that (based on an arbitrary time) their entry will be accepted.

If you apply with your time and they admit you, it won't be charity. It's the BAA's race and they can admit or deny anyone they want, so if they admit you then you qualified.

Also keep in mind that there are 22 different BQ times, and you just ran faster than 17 of them. So if you find yourself in a Boston Marathon corral in April, you'll fit in perfectly.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 am

Sheldon, whatever it is you do wrt applying to the BAA, you can do it with confidence. :)

Knowing that you laid it all out on the line yesterday: INCREDIBLE!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:35 am

An impressive performance by any account. I don't think I'd be insulting anyone if I said that you are one of the most inspiring runners on the forum Sheldon. Here's hoping the application will be successful.
Hola!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 am

:clap: :clap:

what a gutsy performance!!

Good to see that you have a hurting marathon under your belt. ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:45 am

Great PB Sheldon. Boston is yours. You just have to choose between sending this result in (99.9% that they take it) or wait til your next race to get your time. It sucks when the body doesn't cooperate, and the tight muscles before the race certainly explain why this one felt so much tougher. I had the same thing with my right leg locking up the day before my race. Did everything I could to loosen the sucker up, and I did get a monster PB, but my legs never felt right during the race. Even on the steep downhills I wasn't getting the speed I had been seeing on recent tempo runs. So, even if I am a heck of a lot slower than you, I know exactly how you felt out there.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 am

Awesome, Sheldon ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:50 am

Only your second Marathon. That is phenomenal! I can only hope to do so well with my second.

If running Boston is what you want, then definitely apply! Roll the dice and see what happens!

EDIT: As I'm typing this, the picture in the header:

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 am

A question to you Sheldon. Given all the Boston Qualifer races, do you think PEC was the easiest course of them all? If not, then some other guy ran an easier course than PEC 7 seconds faster than you and "qualifed" to go to Boston. I think you qualifed and deserve to go to Boston just as much as that guy who ran the easier course.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

clocker
Bill Crothers

whoa

Postby clocker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:29 am

Wow, that's a heart breaker to miss your goal time by that little. The fact remains that it was a sizzling effort. Well done man!
Ian

Stella
Bruce Kidd

Postby Stella » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:38 am

I love reading reports where someone gives it their all. With a race like that you can't ask any "what ifs", all we can do is do what we need to, to get ourselves across the line.

Congratulations on putting every last bit of yourself into this and realizing a smashing PB!
"Decision Must Be Instant...
Commitment Must Be Total."
-blazeman

2010: Qualifying for Boston and NYC at the Wineglass Marathon
2011: Running all 5 of the major marathons for Acquired Brain Injury and Leonard Cheshire Disability
London Marathon: April 17th
Boston Marathon: April 18th
Berlin Marathon: September 25th
Chicago Marathon: October 11th
New York City Marathon: November 6th

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:56 am

congratulations Sheldon!

I concur with the masses - you definitely need to send the app in. yep, yep you do.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:15 pm

dgrant wrote:You have to keep in mind that everyone applies to Boston, some have just been told beforehand that (based on an arbitrary time) their entry will be accepted.

If you apply with your time and they admit you, it won't be charity. It's the BAA's race and they can admit or deny anyone they want, so if they admit you then you qualified.

Also keep in mind that there are 22 different BQ times, and you just ran faster than 17 of them. So if you find yourself in a Boston Marathon corral in April, you'll fit in perfectly.

I'll second that !!!!!
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Sheldon, Congratulations!! YOu are tough as nails.

See you in Boston, or should I say in hell? :lol: :lol:

Yegads!!!! I'm not looking forward to my second marathon.

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 pm

It broke my heart to see how disappointed you were at the end of this race, despite the fact that you had a tremendous PB, had left me in the dust and were most likely going to Boston in April.

You did tremendously and I was glad to share some of the race with you! I hope to be there when you break 3:30.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:00 pm

Sheldon, whatever you decide to do you run one heck of a race. You laid it on the line and then some...you deserve major congrats for that!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

roadrunner
Tom Longboat

great job

Postby roadrunner » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:45 pm

Great job. Guttsy run. I have experienced that panic of not being sure of qualifying at this past NCM. I made it with 10 seconds to spare. It could easily have gone the other way. A really wierd things I ran Toronto Marathon yesterday and did not walk one bit. But in Ottawa I walked at least a mile. My time in Toronto was only 3 minutes faster. :shock: I was hoping to run faster but Like you I left it all on the course so I am at peace with my race.

Ps I can hardly walk today. Whereas in Ottawa I was jogging the next day.

DeValera
Tom Longboat

Postby DeValera » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:26 pm

Doonst:

Great Training
Great Race
Great Report

and I think some of my pics capture how you were feeling. Will post (very) late Wed. when I get back.

Proud to know you,

DV

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:59 pm

There are many inspiring runners on this forum, and you are at the top of that list. Nicely done! It's too bad that those 7 seconds steal some of the pride and excitement that really do belong to you.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”