LOOOOONG awaited Royal Victoria 1/2 Marathon Race Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
randomgirl
Bruce Kidd

LOOOOONG awaited Royal Victoria 1/2 Marathon Race Report

Postby randomgirl » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:33 pm

What can I say - life got CRAZY busy after I got back, and somehow I wasn't ready to write about it yet! So, here we are, a month and a week later, and the race report is finally here!!

Let me first say that I could NOT have finished this race without Beerslinger and Shortie - my saviours from afar!!!!! HUGS to you both, you superstars!

I was REALLY nervous for this race. REALLY nervous. My training was thwarted by the usual suspects - patellofemoral problems, an old hamstring strain coming to haunt me, and new ITB problems tossing their 2 cents in the pot. These were only highlighted by my breaking my wrist this summer and then spraining my ankle quite badly. My 4 months of training leading up to this event quickly dwindled to 6 weeks, and I am not a natural-born runner - always been at the back of the pack, and always will. For the last month of long runs, I could hear my run-leaders whispering behind me, "Should she even try this thing? I don't know if she'll be OK." Yes, I admit it, I was SCARED of this 1/2. I decided that if I finished in 3 hours, I would be really, really pleased.

Flash forward to race package pick up, my first thought is that even if I DNF, I get to keep the shirt, which seemed nice!

Later on in the evening, having a pasta dinner at the Spaghetti factory with Maniacs and running groups alike - It was great, though I remember little, only that Beerslinger and Shortie, feeling like they had undertrained for this event, decided to run with me - slow and steady and run/walking! yay!

Was tired that night - the previous day we had walked around town then gone to walk around Butchart Gardens. Couldn't sleep. Eventually, the alarm went off. It was cold, but the heated body glide helped my shorts feel a little warmer as my husband and I made our way to the start line. We kind of milled around, and when we started to hear the count down, our attention was turned to the race. The first 6 kilometres melted away into the memory of early dawn, as Beerslinger, Shortie and I had animated conversations. It was a challenge for us to keep the pace slow - we tended to run at the pace of our words (and NONE of us are introverts!). Before we knew it, we were at Beacon Hill Park, where a few hills greeted us. I started to feel like crap and my body started to feel heavy - ah the 8K blues!!! Usually, my runs suck from 8-12Kms, then feel better again. I just listened to Beerslinger and Shortie animatedly discuss something, and I was happy for the distraction. Next, the run along the ocean - oh how beautiful!!!!! We got to the subdivision at the end, and up the hill, when we heard the pace car for the marathoners behind us shouting for us back-of-the-packers to move for the elite marathoners (who started an hour later than us!). For one, brief, split second, we were running with the elites!!!! It was a beautiful, sunny morning, and we were running with the elites! Then the hash house harriers offered us beer - what could BE more perfect!!!! There were even kids in their hallowe'en costumes offering us jello shooters! Lots of cheering on the course.

Just when I was SO ready to be done with residential areas, we had to turn around and go back - Km 14 was upon us, and now my knee was hurting to boot. The pain didn't seem to increase though, so I just put one foot in front of the other. It was a decent run on the back - our pacing was steady, and we just coasted along the oceanside in a warm and fuzzy haze until Beerslinger announced that he needed to find band aids (chafing in certain areas NOT good!). After they were applied, we realized that we were getting close to the top of the hill (from KM 16 - 19, there is a slow but steady incline), and this is when my body decided that it was DONE. Then I saw a sign: "Pain is temporary, pride is permanent." Thank you, whoever you are, for giving me this mantra at this point in the race. Another thought - so close to the end, just one foot in front of the other and the end will be near. So there I was, focussing with all my might - concentrating with all I had - to get in. And I remember hearing the chatter of Shortie and Beerslinger - who was chatting about how easy this run had been (I admit - I love you, bro, but wanted to strangle you at this point!!! :wink: ). The last KM was in sight, the crowd came into view, tunnel vision hit as I saw the finish line, my hubby cheered, I looked at him *snap* keep going, keep going, tunnel vision, tunnel vision, my name announced, see the magic bar that will mean I get to stop, rain pouring, almost, almost, almost THERE!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked around and right on either side of me were the best running partners in the world. Medals collected, food eaten, knee slowed its screaming to a whine, sister called from Toronto to congratulate me (saw my number come across the finish line online), hugged everyone, rain pouring and looked at my time - 2:52 something - even faster than I had planned - YAY!!!!! Thank you to ALL who helped carry me across that line - to all who listened to me complain and to the special maniac who called me both nights before the race for a pep talk!

I went straight back to the hotel to take an ice bath. Then hot tub. Did that one more time that night and once the next morning and could walk with NO problems the next day - yay!

Thank you all for sticking this far in my story of one of my proudest moments. And especially thank you to Beerslinger and Shortie!!!!!

:)
RG
"Somedays you just need to do stuff on your someday list. just in case someday doesn't arrive" ~Seuss, as inspired by Spencer

"No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch."

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down."
Mary Pickford

Next up:
No Pressure! Run when I want, cycle when I want, swim when I want ;)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:52 pm

That was a tough one, Sabine! Way to go.

Keep it up and you'll see great improvements with that time.

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:20 pm

Good going! :D
M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:11 am

What a great report! Congratulations!!!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:38 am

Great report! True grit and determination! Well Done! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Postby mayhem » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 am

Well done, what an awesome report!
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)
"Success is my only motherf*****g option, failure's not" Eminem~Lose Yourself

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:43 pm

Congratulations!!! what great maniac support!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:36 pm

Congrats Sabine! Another tough cookie within our ranks!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Dean Simon
Tom Longboat

"Pain is temporary, pride is permanent."

Postby Dean Simon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:52 pm

"Pain is temporary, pride is permanent." Well done and good restaint on refusing the Jello Shooter!

Deano
PBs

Running
5k 19:49 - 8k 32:24 - 10k 43:50 - 10 m 67:10 - Half 1:42:00 - Full 3:20:44

tri
sprint 1:30 - Olympic 2:52 - 1/2 IM 7:17 - Full IM ???

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:35 pm

Congratulations Sabine!!!

You three looked like you were having a good time the couple of times I saw you on the course.

PS - I still haven't written a race report.
:oops:
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:59 am

(sniff - darn allergies!) Way to go on your amazing run!!! :D :clap:

Return to “Run/Race Reports”