Chicago Distance Classic Race Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
dgrant
Lynn Williams

Chicago Distance Classic Race Report

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:00 am

Quickchick and I just got back from a fun weekend in Chicago, during which we ran the Chicago Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon.

We have wanted to return to Chicago ever since we ran the Chicago Marathon in 2003. Although we didn't get to see all of the city then because we were trying to rest up for the race, we got a sense of what a great city it is, and wanted to spend a long weekend checking it out properly. Frankly, the 1/2 marathon this weekend was just a bonus to our trip. (We're really lucky to be healthy enough to treat a half marathon as just another tourist attraction.)

Anyway, the race started at 7am, but because our hotel was only a mile from the start line in Grant Park, we were able to treat the morning preparations fairly casually. I basically sauntered up to the start area 5 minutes before the race and took off.

I really started in a disciplined way and let hundreds and hundreds of people pass me in the first few kilometres. I set my Garmin to display average pace instead of instantaneous pace, so when I hit 5:15/km I just hit the cruise control and kept that steady pace for pretty much the whole race. I knew I had the right strategy when at about the 15K point I started passing dozens of people per minute. I mean I went throught the field like a buzzsaw. The funny thing was I wasn't even accelerating, the others were just drastically decelerating and trying to hang on for the finish. I checked the race results spreadsheet, and only 35 people who crossed the 10K split mat behind me finished ahead of me...in other words only 35 people passed me in the final 11.1K, in a race of 5000 people. And I know I passed hundreds of people in that span. After ruining SO MANY races by burning out early, I'm really considering my even pace to be my biggest accomplishment for the race.

Anyway, I finished in 1:50:42 (1135 out of 5060 runners), which is a monster PB for me. The best part is that although I did my best and my time was a fair indication of where I'm at, I still feel like my best racing is ahead of me.

I would very, very much recommend visiting Chicago to anyone who's never been or only been there for business. It is a gorgeous, modern city and we had as great a trip as we'd anticipated. Unfortunately, despite my fun experience, there are some very major problems of safety with the Chicago Distance Classic and it's the first race I've done that I would specifically recommend NOT running...but that will all have to wait for my event review tomorrow.

Hope everybody else had a great weekend! There's so much on the forum to catch up on.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 am

wow Dave, congrats on the "monster" PB and on the even pace! that is awesome. Can't wait to read Lisa's too. It sounds like all our racing maniacs had a good weekend.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:18 am

Darn you Holly... you beat me to the first reply!!!

CONGRATS BABY... I'm so proud of you.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:22 am

Congrats on the monster PB!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:26 am

QuickChick wrote:Darn you Holly... you beat me to the first reply!!!

sorry... long boring night at work so I've kinda been sitting here all night... thinking "please someone post so I'll have something to read", lol.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:25 am

Hey big guy!
Way to go.....awsome race, awsome city!
I like your start. in the race......as soon as I read your line about the avg not inst. km pace...I thought "SMART"!!".
I did the PB thing in the half this year too...dont it feel GREAT!!!!!

Anyway, way to smash it AND to enjoy yourself doing it....your right, the best is yet to come!!!!!

bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:43 am

It sounds like you two had a great time! Congrats on your MBP! Does that get extra points? When you PB is of the Monster variety?
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:46 am

Well done, Dave. You beat that course soundly.

Scott

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:58 am

awesome job! congrats on the PB!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:59 am

After re-reading my race report, I have to apologize for sounding so self-congratulatory. ("I went throught the field like a buzzsaw." :roll: Get over yourself dude!) I wrote it last night in a coffee-induced rush.

Anyway thanks for the kind notes.

BTW - with a completed race, and a PB, and consistent training and eating, I'm racking up the challenge points...so you guys are gonna have to stay on your toes. :wink:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:29 am

dgrant wrote:After re-reading my race report, I have to apologize for sounding so self-congratulatory. ("I went throught the field like a buzzsaw." :roll: Get over yourself dude!)

Don't you dare "get over yourself"!
You deserve to be floating on that high for a while. :)
Well done, Dave! A PB in the windy city.
Now rest up and recover well. Looking forward to seeing how you guys do in the ScotiaBank.
And welcome back... the board slowed down a bit with so many of you gone for the weekend.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

clocker
Bill Crothers

I second that!

Postby clocker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:33 pm

That feeling of the buzz saw lives in my imagination. It must have been a wonderful feeling. Don't rip that kind of thing out of your enthusiastic reports. It makes the whole thing real some how. Rookies need to know. :P
Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:24 am

Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on the PB and being smart enough to stick to your game plan early on. Despite all the people passing you!!

We couuld all learn alot from your PB experience!!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:54 am

Congratsulation on your amazing PB.

I love the imagery of the buzzsaw...and may well steal it from you for future races...

Joanne
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

paulg
Tom Longboat

Postby paulg » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:04 am

Nice work dgrant, congrats on the PB. Your patience definately paid of when you started passing people later on, a lesson for all of us.

Paul

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:36 am

Congratulations! Love the race report, newbies like me can learn a lot from this. And I liked the buzzsaw as well..great image!

Lisa

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:30 am

Any PB is a great PB, but when it's a big one, it's just plain old awesome! Way to go Dave, great report, sounds like a really big run.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

Return to “Run/Race Reports”