Tri The World does UK 70.3 Ironman Race Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Tri The World does UK 70.3 Ironman Race Report

Postby TheBman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:02 am

Tri The World does the UK 70.3.... a RR from both of us.

Race # 6 for Tri The World took place in Wimbleball National Park, Great Britain.
We had just enjoyed about 10 days off after our first European leg and were keen to get back at it. We knew from planning for this event that we would be in for some land travel after our 6hr flight into Heathrow, but were unsure as to the "how and where".

We arrived at the Ottawa Airport in just the right amount of time and settled in for the long flight over the pond. Given we were celebrating Heather's birthday in the air, we took advantage of the in flight service! After 3 movies and a bit of sleep, we touched down at Heathrow and began the journey to Porlock, UK.

We got to the rental place and climbed into our Vauxhall which was an up grade from what we ordered...one of the luckiest breaks we had. Now, if we could just master driving from the wrong side of the car AND on the wrong side of the road!
Remember the upgrade? This baby had GPS! Wow....if you ever head to the countryside of the UK, GET GPS!!!

Our drive to Porlock was about 360kms west of London. We headed out towards the west and took in all the scenery. We got our first taste of the high cost of living in the UK. We stopped for two English breakfasts and two bottles of water....$36.00 on the Visa!!!

We arrived in Porlock at the Ship Inn.

This was a 13th Century Inn that only had a few rooms and a pub. It was the closest place we could find to the race site which was only another 45 min away to the south. After a quick bite and of course one of the local beverages, it was off for a well deserved sleep.

Saturday:
It was race check-in and bike/bag drop off so we took off from Porlock early to head to Exmoor National Park and Lake Wimbleball. Now, this sounds like a simple concept, but we are talking about rural UK. This was a trip that I could not even imagine in my wildest dreams! We had Google maps AND GPS that took us the same way....down some country roads/paths that were hedge lined and so narrow that our side mirrors touched them at the same time.

We decided once we got to the race site that we would find an alternative way back to the hotel cuz on race day morning at 4:30AM, this would NOT be a great idea.

While we waited in line to check in our bikes and bags to transition, we were approached by a local triathlete who asked if we were "those two Canadians who were doing the 16 half’s". We STILL are not used to the notoriety we are receiving at some of the races. It is entirely welcomed as it makes us feel like we have friends everywhere. He heard about us through a New Zealand webcast that featured us as the "website of the week". It's working!

After we racked our bikes side-by-side, we hung around for the mandatory pre-race meeting. As we were being called to the meeting, the announcer had an accent that was certainly not local. I asked him where he was from...."a place called Vancouver" he says. I introduced myself and before I could say any more, he says "I saw you and your girlfriend registering and was trying to figure out what "Tri The World" was all about. So I gave him the low down and then abruptly took my seat. Sometimes being the motor mouth I am pays off. The meeting started in a unique way. Don Ryder, the announcer for the weekend, said that hey had some racers celebrating their birthday that day, so they wanted each birthday guy/gal to be acknowledged.

Well, when they came to me, I stood up and acknowledged my day and they completely stopped the entire briefing and said "Wait, wait wait...you guys gotta hear about theses two fellow Canadians". Don told the entire field about our journey as we stood and absorbed the competitors’ applause. As we were filing out of the tent and walked toward our car, it was shocking how many people approached us and chatted about TTW with us. We DID make it back to Porlock safely and called it an early night.

Race Day:
The alarm was set for 3:30am, as we had a good drive and a 6am start. Given our new driving route, getting there was no worries….all in one piece.

The Swim:
This was a race where we actually started at the same time...we have only seen one other race like that. We decided earlier that we would race this day as a team. So, down to the lake we go. The air was about 13 degrees with a water temp of 17 degrees. As we approached the water, we realized that our feet were indeed frozen BEFORE we touched the water. Gun went off, and in we went for a 1.9km swim in Lake Wimbleball. All went fairly well with the swim, but given the mass start, the fists and feet were flyin!!! Sighting was a bit of an issue given the rising sun and mist off the lake, but before you knew it, we were crawlin out of the lake and heading to transition. As we have said in other race reports, the presumption that all IM 70.3 races are mirrored but for the location, we were again proven WRONG. There was a 400m field run from the lake shore to the transition area....UPHILL!

The Ride:
Once in transition and yet another trip to the potty for Brian (his 4th tri since the start of the swim), we were off on the bike....named the course with "52 hills in 56 miles". This is a two loop course and yes indeed the hills were tough. However, equally difficult on race day was the road surface and weather....cold and rain! The surface shook our Blue's like they have never been shaken before. We had to stop twice to inspect the rides and tighten things up. When you are headed down a windy road at 55kph, you do not want your handlebars or bottle cages coming off! It was still very cool out, so feeling feet was an issue for the entire 56 miles. Heather wore leggings and her wind jacket and Brian opted for the wind vest and sleeves.

We had a bit of a surprise when we dismounted at the end of the bike. We had missed the cut off time by less than 2 minutes and were told to hand in our chips. We were completely puzzled by the head refs comments, but knew that our races are not about PB's or even finish times...its about suffering and being out there in order to get our message across....besides...those with Cancer or ABI don't just quit either!!! So after sharing a moment or two in transition, we grabbed out transition bags, dressed and headed out to the 3 loop run.

The Run:
As stated before, we were a tad surprised to hear that this 21km run included paved up hills, gravel downhills, bush trails and field sections, to be topped off by running across a huge dam! We started the run together, but Brian was clearly holding Heather back. We chatted for a bit and after some pushing, Heather took off with a ton of steam left. Where we parted was on a long 300m uphill. Brian legs seemed to come back shortly after that, but certainly not back to Heather’s speed. We both noted how many folks ran with us for a bit chatting about TTW...sharing kudos and stories. This was why we pushed on.

With Heather having run a solid half, she was done in 7:27:46. I was rounding the final corner after running what turned out to be a great half for me, hearing Don calling me in, finishing the day in 8:08:27. When we crossed the finish line, we were presented with our finishing medals...as according to rule makers, we did indeed finish the race!

6 down....10 to go!

Back in Porlock, with the bikes broken down at the race site and still packed in the car, it was a HOT bath that was at the top of our TO-DO list. With that done and a glass of red to accompany our Cheesy Doritos, we snacked and chilled until both of us slid into a "quick nap". Woken by a noise...which was probably Brian's belly YELLING for food, we got up and decided that a quick pizza from the pub down the street would suffice. Brian drew the short straw and ventured out. The pizza place quickly advised him that they were done serving pizza!!!! He walked back to the pub and begrudgedly asked for "pub fare", as it was better than nothing. He got nothing.....we had slept till 9:15 pm and the town was CLOSED!!!!! AGHH!!!!!!
We have never ended a 7-8hr day of competition with 2 glasses of red and a bag of DORITOS!!!!

The day after:
The first stop in the AM was just off the highway for a much needed FULL English breakfast...SWEET! Then it was back to Heathrow to catch our 1pm ride! Thanks to this dude who was some sorta VIP, our flight was delayed close to 2 hrs as he needed "secured airspace"....so we sat in our plane while this "George Bush" guy took off.....sheesh!

Back in Otown for some rest and actual training before we head to the west coast on July 4th for our race July 6th in Seattle.

This HAS TO BE by far the best race for TTW in the sense of PR. Its hard to enjoy it too much as you can not help but be reminded the true reason we are there and that those back home are suffering and not getting any of these "at-a-boys". It's our job to bring those back for those who deserve it. Word is spreading ALL around the races and the rest of the tri community....we could not be happier!!

6 down, 10 to go!!

Bman and Stella
www.TriTheWorld.ca
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:13 am

amazing you two! keep up the spirit and great work!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 am

Congratulations both of you! It is so great to hear about how the word is spreading!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 am

That's awesome, you guys are being recognized!! What you really get credit for is being able to drive your way out of Heathrow Airport! How was the 6 lane traffic circle? :lol: Not only are you on the wrong side of the car (how many times did you go to the wrong side of the car?) and the wrong side of the road, but the traffic circles go in the other direction and have a lot more lanes than ours do. We used to always say that any tourist that rents a car out of Heathrow is very brave - so kudos on your driving guts!

sounds like quite the race too

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:38 am

Great job. Congratulations :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:40 am

Nice job to the both of you - You do need to work on that post race nutrition. Amazing job getting the word out - that is what it all about.

Congrats and Happy Birthdays to Yous
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:42 am

I will make sure all screws are tight enough before a race. Do you think you would have made the cut-off if you had not stopped?

Congrats for finishing nevertheless.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am

That sucks about the bike cutoff. But great that you were able to spread the word about TTW. Best of luck in Seattle!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 am

So
so
totally
awesome!
8)

Thanks for reporting in!

""Wait, wait wait...you guys gotta hear about theses two fellow Canadians". Don told the entire field about our journey as we stood and absorbed the competitors’ applause."

This part makes a tear well up in my eyes.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 am

Iron Terrible wrote:I will make sure all screws are tight enough before a race. Do you think you would have made the cut-off if you had not stopped?

As part of our pre-race rituals, ALL things screwable are tightened prior to the race...it was THAT bumpy.
With out a doubt.....and that's why this sits so well with us. Had we not done this race together, I would have made up 3-4 minutes on the swim...and Stella would have made up at least 20 on the bike....so with heads held high, its all good by us!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:15 am

great report

so you experienced the lack of 24/7 food/shops that we are used to here in Otown - quaint eh?

so glad you are getting good PR feedback, after all that is what it's all about

congrats

onwards and upwards and tally ho
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:19 am

Another great job guys! Well done!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:26 am

That's awsome!!!!! You guys rock!!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:41 am

Almost there ... just around the corner .... :wink:

Congrats, again to both of you, on completing your journey, one race at a time ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Great report! It is so entertaining to read your race reports - there are always fun adventures in store for you two! :D

Well done!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:03 pm

I thought the novelty would start to wear off after a while, but it isn't. You guys are truly amazing!!! Keep the awesome reports coming, and good luck in Seattle!

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:08 pm

It's great to see your effort gathering momentum.

(I think I missed Switzerland; I'll have to dig the report(s) out of the archives.)
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:11 pm

6 down already?!

that's the equivalent of 3 Ironmans!!

great job crazy kids!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Awesome...the word is getting about you two!. At Riverkeeper because James and Kiza were wearing TTW gear Kiza was asked if "they were those people".... :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Gummivore
Bruce Kidd

Postby Gummivore » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 pm

wow ... what an experience!! Congrats

SB

Next race: Okanagan Half

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 am

TheBman wrote:....so with heads held high, its all good by us!

Bman

As it should be, congrats to both of you. Simply amazing.

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 am

You guys are doing a bunch of races? I had no idea... :lol:

Congrats on yet another awesome accomplishment! May I suggest a tube of low-strength lock-tite be purchased for the upcoming races? With so many bolts being done and undone, a little dab might go a long way to keeping the bikes in one piece during the next race! :-D
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 am

What else can I say?

You two rock!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:02 am

You guys are awesome! Congrats on the great PR.

See you in 31 days! OMG! 31 days! :shock:
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 am

Rock on!!!

(Wish we could see you on the rock. ;) )
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Return to “Run/Race Reports”