Waynerdog runs up some hills on Canada Day

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Waynerdog runs up some hills on Canada Day

Postby waynerdog » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:36 pm

OK, I have to say, "Wow, that course was tougher than I thought it was going to be! :shock: " Two pretty nice size hills, including one within the first 1k and the second one just after the 8k mark. They normally wouldn't have been too bad, but pushing baby waynerdog in the stroller and with the heat, I though the second one was going to do me in!

Not much to say except I ran pretty hard (average HR about 159bpm) and pretty consistent throughout, I think. I have no k-splits, as I don't have my new Polar footpod yet, but I'm pretty sure I was running pretty consistently based on what my watch was telling me.

In the end, I finished literally in about 57:00, give or take a second or two. I did make a mistake by seeding myself a bit farther back than I should have because I was pushing the stroller. I spent the first 4k passing lots of people. But once we were off the narrow trail for a while and on the open road, passing because way easier.

One funny observation from today -- I have notice lots during driving that some drivers do NOT like being passed by a minivan (which I drive). I noticed today during running that some runners take pretty significant offence to being passed by a runner pushing a stroller. One guy in particular I knew sped up around the 3k mark to stay with me (and hopefully eventually pass me) because I was pushing the stroller. He managed to stay with me until about 6k and then I never saw him again. At the 9k mark I really turned it on and blew by a good dozen people. I almost caught two more guys at the end, one of whom kept looking back at me between about 500m and 200m to go. When I was right behind him, I heard him say to his buddy "He's right behind us!" and they both took off in a sprint ahead of me to the finish line. :roll: :lol:

I hung out at the finish line to see mommyrunner finish, and then I took baby waynerdog for his 1k kids run. It was awesome to see baby waynerdog do his first ever race on his own two legs, even though he was a bit freaked out by the whole running-with-other-people experience. He really liked his medal - until we got him a balloon animal doggy! :roll: :wink: Kids!!!

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Awesome report! Sounds like a fun family day!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:09 pm

sounds like an excellent day for the whole family!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:51 pm

I used to be one of those people that resents being passed by guys with strollers. There is something about it that just doesn't seem fair. I changed my attitude about 1 minute ago!

Nice day!
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Nice way to celebrate the Canada Day with the whole family :)
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:37 pm

great race waynerdog-family! :)

as for being passed by a guy pushing a stroller - I'm sure the joggler has some good stories about that! :) (being the one doing the passing, not getting passed, of course!)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:14 pm

Nice work, Wayne. :) I don't envy you for pushing the stroller up those hills. I'm glad your family had a good day.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:47 pm

I take offence to being passed by someone pushing a stroller almost as much as being passed by someone at least 20 years younger than me. :)

Congrats on a great run.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:48 pm

Hey - if you can pass people while pushing a stroller, good for you. It's great training for racing without a stroller. I'm sure I'd hate it but still - that's great that you can do it.

Glad you had fun.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:13 am

Awesome job, Wayne ...

But, are you NUTS !!!! racing Canada Day, only a few days out of Calgary Marathon this weekend ?? You some sort of Maniac or something !!!! :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm

HCiD wrote:Awesome job, Wayne ...

But, are you NUTS !!!! racing Canada Day, only a few days out of Calgary Marathon this weekend ?? You some sort of Maniac or something !!!! :lol: :wink:

That wasn't a race for me. Just a nice 10k tempo run. I probably had at least one more gear in me had I wanted to go faster. And Calgary this weekend is nothing but a long slow run. If it goes according to plan, I should be around 4:30 to 4:40, no faster.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”