Canada Day 15k

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Canada Day 15k

Postby MichaelMc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Well that was a warm one!

The race was very well organized, and it was a beautiful day to WATCH a race :lol: . I had lots of very fast friends registered and as I lined up with them near the front I kept reminding myself, now DON'T run with THEM. My plan was a fairly even pace, around 4 minute/km or just under and see what happened near the finish. The course in Edmonton is pretty darn hilly, it starts by the Provincial Legislature along the high bank of the North Saskatchewan River. The race goes straight down into the river valley, across the river and around a rolling park, then back up the river valley and around the University. After that it descends one more time into valley with a long straight before the last steep climb to the finish line.

The start was fairly tight, with 5k and 15k starting together, making pacing a challenge. I lined up behind my buddies as I knew they'd take off quickly and create room for me. As we rolled into the valley I remembered the one thing I do better than them is run downhill, and it was a real effort not to pass my friend AJ, who is much too fast for me to race with.

At the first kilometer Mark (another friend) called out "3:30, a little fast guys"... a LITTLE... Oops. :shock: At that point I consciously dropped back so that autopilot didn't lead me too far astray. Kilometer 2 was a more reasonable 3:51. When we made the turn onto the bridge and over the river I was in 8th position, but already feeling the heat and the pace. Hawrelak park did me no favours with a lot of open sunny road and plenty of 15k walkers to run around; I was slowly losing ground on 7th place and hearing a runner coming up from behind.

The climb out of the valley was hot and challenging; usually I'm pretty good on hills, but there wasn't much zip in my legs. Whether that was my current fitness, the heat, the pace or just one of those days is hard to say. Shortly after the hill one runner slipped by me and another moved up off my shoulder, then 1/2 a kilometer later also went by. We were around 1/2 way and I really couldn't decide whether to push harder or just maintain pace. Coming around a corner some guy offers me a water bottle, but I thought... maybe I'll just wait for the water station.

The turnaround offered me the chance to see the leaders, and unless someone was WAY ahead, AJ was clear out front. If that was true I was holding 10th, which was my 'stretch goal' for the day, along with sub 60 minutes. As I made the turn I could see I had about 30 seconds on 11th, who was the first place woman. Man, I've got to hold this spot :oops: (residual sexist emotion...). As I head for tha last downhill I realize the guy who'd offered me the water bottle was my brother, who was supposed to be running the HBC race;this time I grabbed the ice cold bottle and proceeded to drink and pour it over myself to try to cool off my overheated body. :D 8) :D I was able to pick up my pace, which had been flagging.

The run in was uneventful, as the runners were fairly spread out and everyone seemed content with their position, or unable to bridge the gaps. The last big climb was a bit painful as my attention turned to my finishing time. Cresting the hill I could see the clock and it was 59... something... better pick it up.. Damn 59:5_ there is something blocking the last digit; hit the afterburners... . Crossed just as the clock was switching to 1:00:00. Must have a second or so on the chip time, right?

As it turns out, I don't know; although I heard a beep, my chip didn't pick up on the first sensor and they'll check the other one when they have time. Fortunately there are PLENTY of witnesses to the full on sprint to the line. Still a little disappointing to look at the preliminary finishing sheets and NOT see your name. I ended up in 10th overall, 59:58 (provisional time). My friends won 1st overall, 1st 30-40, 1st 40-50, 1st 50-60, and another buddy got 1st 40-50 in the 5k: pretty good haul! 8)

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:34 pm

:clap:

great race and great report!!!!!

glad to see that you didn't snub your brother the second time ;) I laughed out loud at that one! :)

sucks about the chip - hopefully it will get sorted out.

I totally believe you went a 59:58 ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:43 pm

You and your friends are very speedy lot! Way to cope with the heat and hills!
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:43 pm

great stuff - very speedy!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Nice job on what sounds like a tough course- 2 seconds under 1:00:00 - even if provisional - is great.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Wow that's a nice time in a challenging race!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:04 am

Great time on such a difficult course. I found the weather was great except that I was wearing black. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:14 am

Really nice report, Michael. It sounds like you and your friends had a great day.

I wish there were some 15K races around here to do-- sounds like a great distance.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 am

Great race man. Sucks about the whole chip thing, but what a great solid effort. Yeah I wish we had some 15km or 10 milers around here too.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks everybody,

The results are up on Results Canada, and I got my 59:58, 10th overall and 2nd in my age group (behind my buddy Mark). Should have tripped him off the start, I guess :lol:

Here are a couple of pics; one of the start and one of the final sprint for the finish

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Well done! PM me your address and I'll mail you a beer! :lol: :wink:

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Awesome report.

The start line pic is a good one! Check out Beto just going for it. :D

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Haha that Beto is a speedy guy huh!

Great report. I can only imagine running that fast - things must be blurry or something? :shock:
Just call me the thread killa

Return to “Run/Race Reports”