run report - "You inspire me"

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
CAW
Lynn Williams

run report - "You inspire me"

Postby CAW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:56 am

With all the excitement of following IMUSA yesterday, Scotty and I asked the neighbors to watch the kiddos while we fit our 12K LSD in between Ironboy's 15mile mark (thanks to Marg telling us that Irongirl had seen him) and his finish.

We were inspired by the Ironfamily and when we were starting to think about ditching our run and popping a cork or two...we reminded ourselves that drinking wine won't get us to the finish line.

So there is a 4K loop of streets about 1K from our house. We decided that we'd just loop three times. Mental torture? Journey to transcendence? I don't know...but the first 4K were abysmal and laboured, the second 4K were okay, and the back stretch of the last 4K was very tiring...

It was just as we were tackling the 400m long 5% grade hill (perfect for hill training) and starting to falter when a lady driving a GMC Jimmy drove by. As she went by she slowed and hollered, "YOU INSPIRE ME!"

I thought she said there was a fire...so I doubled back and says "pardon??"

"You inspire me! Keep it up!"

Wow...I actually inspired someone? I wanted to stop her and explain to her that I was, in fact, acting on some inspiration of my own...the real-live IronPeople that were in Lake Placid putting themselves through 14+ hours in the rain...that's inspiration. 12K in some humidity is nothing in comparison.

So I turned to Scotty and said..."How's that for a push up the end of this hill?"

In the end, I finished the run strong...the last 2K I couldn't help but gradually pick up the pace (kicking up another hill) because a great song came on my MP3 player (and I wanted to get back in time to see ironboy and Alex turn into an Ironman!)....the last K of my LSD was done at a 5:23 pace. (SUB 6! and not out of breath!!!)
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:55 am

Good job Kara and Scotty!

You wear your mp3 while you are running with Scotty? I never thought he would be at a loss for words...oh, wait a second...I think I understand now why you wear the mp3 and probably have it cranked to 10! :wink: :lol:
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 am

Great run - thanks for sharing the report. It brought a smile to my face!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:08 am

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing! :D

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:12 am

Nice story. :D
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 am

This is so cool! Pat yourself on that back for inspiring someone. :D

This makes me think how easy it is to speak up when we think something negative and how much more difficult it is to speak up to say something positive. This woman could have thought to herself "wow, they are inspiring!" and continued on her way. Instead, she decided to tell you out loud you were inspiring her and by doing so, she made you feel very good about hat you were doing when you were struggling. How's that for a good life lesson? :D

Maniacs - let's speak up on the positive stuff! By speaking up, you may have a huge impact on someone else's life. :D
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 am

that's very cool! 8)

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:42 am

Nice story Kara! Love it!

(Much nicer than the heckling I received yesterday :? )
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks for that story.
I think we never know sometimes who we inspire.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Wow, I really loved reading this... talk about contagious good karma all around... sweet.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks for sharing, Kara.
Nice report.
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:28 pm

That is a wonderful report!! You are fortunate to have such wonderful things called out to you Kara! You must have nicer people down there in New Brunswick.

It seems like lately all we have gotten is people yelling at us to pick up the pace (ummm.... I am just finishing running 18K :roll: ).

I am wondering if you will see her out running the roads soon! Wouldn't that be great?
Jane

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:53 am

runjanerun wrote:That is a wonderful report!! You are fortunate to have such wonderful things called out to you Kara! You must have nicer people down there in New Brunswick.

It seems like lately all we have gotten is people yelling at us to pick up the pace (ummm.... I am just finishing running 18K :roll: ).

I am wondering if you will see her out running the roads soon! Wouldn't that be great?

That's one thing I've gotta say about New Brunswick, Moncton in particular....it is a very run/bike friendly place. People are supportive and I've yet to be heckled or hear of anyone being heckled.

While we were running our loops there was a family having a bonfire in the back yard of one of the houses...this house happened to be on one of the corners we were turning...I saw most of the family members smile the first time we went by...shake their heads in disbelief the second time we went by (20 mins later) and stand with their mouths agape in awe the third time we went by (another 20 mins later)....we just smiled and waved. :wink:

I actually suspect the lady was part of that family group...which means she drove around our route backwards in hopes to find us...

I see lots of people out walking their pooches on that route...I'd love to see that lady out running one night.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:19 pm

That's awesome! I think that every time I see a "larger" person running. I am SO PROUD of them because I remember how hard that was in the beginning. I want to say something but I never do. I don't want them to feel like I am watching them or singling them out because of their size.

I have always struggled with what to say when I pass someone on the bike during a tri. I want to be encouraging but it's kind of condescending to say "good job" as you're going by. Sometimes I say something, sometimes I don't.

I actually found a lot of the cyclists were not very friendly on the IMC course on the weekend. Although when I flatted and then bonked, everyone was great! Every cyclist stopped to ask if I was ok, and if there was anything I needed. Nice to know we watch out for each other when it counts.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Tri_K wrote:That's awesome! I think that every time I see a "larger" person running. I am SO PROUD of them because I remember how hard that was in the beginning. I want to say something but I never do. I don't want them to feel like I am watching them or singling them out because of their size.

I agree with Kerry, I was also very overweight when I started running and understand what courage it takes for that person to start running.

Like how proud I am of my Dad today as we are running 3 times a week 5K!! :D :D

Very cool when this happens Kara!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Good Karma for sure.

Glad I help get you out there.

I never see myself as inspirational, I just do my thing. Like my log, I just wanted it for me, to remember. But it seems to have help a few people along the way, and that makes me happy.

I think I take for granted how lucky I am, and I don't realize how much more of a struggle it can be for others.

Seeing those people heading out for their second loop as I made my way towards the last out and back before the oval at Placid, I... I couldn't fathom, I mean I was spent, cold, wet and tired and I just wanted to go home, and they just kept on keepin' on, for another half marathon in that horrible weather.

That took more strength and courage than I have in me. How can you not have tremendous respect for people who don't fit the mold, who put themselves out there and like it or not are judged, and tow the line, do the work and finish the race.

Way to go Kara. You, inspire me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:20 pm

thanks for sharing, Kara ;-)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 am

drghfx wrote:Good job Kara and Scotty!

You wear your mp3 while you are running with Scotty? I never thought he would be at a loss for words...oh, wait a second...I think I understand now why you wear the mp3 and probably have it cranked to 10! :wink: :lol:

Wait a second... :think:

That evening was just cool for me because it was the first time Kara and I ran together in almost 2 years I think... except trading off TM time last winter...
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:00 am

I just read this now.

I love it! And i think that Kelodie is bang-on in what she said about vocalizing the positive.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:35 pm

What a great story! That's so much nicer than some of the other drive-by stories we've heard on here (e.g. obscenities, throwing a glass of pop). So good to hear you had such a strong run, too. That sounds pretty good for your halves this fall!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:49 pm

So cool!!! Well done!!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 am

Just imagine if she saw your knee all bloodied and you still going strong and determined.

Just imagine.

Nice, very nice, I am glad you affected a stranger's life in a positive way.

That's pretty cool.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:12 am

Q wrote:Just imagine if she saw your knee all bloodied and you still going strong and determined.

Just imagine.

Nice, very nice, I am glad you affected a stranger's life in a positive way.

That's pretty cool.

Ha! I forgot about that...thanks for reminding me. :D
~Kara~

— Thich Nhat Hanh

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks for sharing Kara! By the sounds of it you are well on your way for your half marathons this year.
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

MoeMan
Bruce Kidd

Postby MoeMan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:01 pm

That's a nice report, good for you.

On a recent run I was aproaching a group of teens ( 18 to 20 yrs.) taking up most of the side walk. I took the the side of the road to avoid them. As I was passing , one yelled "Where ya running to?" I shrugged and said "Not sure." Then one guy started running with me, to mock me. I said "Let's see if you can keep up." in a friendly tone. I knew he was just showing off for his friends and they probably had a chuckel watching us run away together. Although I knew he was just being silly I thought that I would take him seriously and started to tell him about my run, my Garmin and how he could be a good runner. I told him some running tips on trainning. He ran with me for about a half a kilometer.
As he broke off I told him to keep it up and maybe we will run together another day. You know, I think we might.
M :D E
"Every time you miss a run, the Baby Jesus cries..." Dave Grant

Return to “Run/Race Reports”