Nova Scotia: Not Up to the Half? Run the Full!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Sanders
Bill Crothers

Nova Scotia: Not Up to the Half? Run the Full!

Postby Sanders » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 pm

The original plan was to try for a PB at the Nova Scotia Half Marathon in Barrington. As the race approached, it became apparent that my training and preparation were totally inadequate and that I wouldn’t likely meet my goal. A few days before the race, I started thinking about running the full marathon at a relaxed pace in order to see more of Cape Sable Island. I finally decided to switch on the morning of the race.

I ran the first 16 miles enjoying the company of bicycle.boy, slowing him down so that he wouldn’t burn out in his first marathon. We parted ways when I had to stop for a port-a-potty break. Amusingly, when I left the john and tried to run again I realized that I had strained a muscle while squatting and I staggered for a while until I recovered my stride. I ran the rest of the marathon by myself occasionally passing runners. I finished in 4:05. When I got to the finish, the announcer told a story about this crazy guy from Montreal who switched to the full on the morning of the race.

In the end I was very happy with my decision. Some of the best scenery on the course is found in the second half. The Nova Scotia Marathon is a small town race and has the associated charms. I was really impressed by the system they had to provide runners with their gels and special drinks at the water stands. One volunteer even opened my gel for me as I approached. At the end of the race, we were served fish chowder and pie.

All in all I had a delightful weekend with bicycle.boy, Ceilidh on the Run and my new friends, COTR’s daughters. Also had a much-appreciated M&G on Friday with Caro and drghfx in downtown Halifax.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Well done my friend!!!!! Glad you enjoyed it!!!! It's always a blessing to be running anywhere and to do it with great company and scenery is awsome.

Fish chowder after a race........I gotta do that one next year.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Great job Jeffery!

That's got to be one of the strangest (and funniest) marathon injuries ever! Good thing it didn't cause a DNF!

PS. Thanks for the brewski! I owe you one!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Is this course Hilly? Silly question, I suppose, afterall we are talking Nova Scotia here!

Congrats Sanders.

Too bad you had to strain so hard in the bathroom. Maybe add a bit more fibre to your diet? :wink:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:00 pm

trixiee wrote:Too bad you had to strain so hard in the bathroom. Maybe add a bit more fibre to your diet? :wink:

ROFL.

Good job Sanders...I can just picture the announcer talking about you :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Re: Nova Scotia: Not Up to the Half? Run the Full!

Postby Hermes » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Sanders wrote:The original plan was to try for a PB at the Nova Scotia Half Marathon in Barrington. As the race approached, it became apparent that my training and preparation were totally inadequate and that I wouldn’t likely meet my goal. A few days before the race, I started thinking about running the full marathon at a relaxed pace in order to see more of Cape Sable Island. I finally decided to switch on the morning of the race.

Perfect logic! Only someone who runs under the name of Sanders, and is a distant relation of the Pooh Bear, would a) think that it made perfect sense to run a marathon when you haven't trained hard enough to meet your half marathon goal, because you'd see more of the scenery... and b) injure yourself, not while running, but while taking a port-a-potty break. :P

Well done on the marathon, my sweet! Sorry I wasn't there, of course. Glad to hear it was so much fun, and apparently well worth repeating! :D

Sanders
Bill Crothers

Postby Sanders » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 pm

trixiee wrote:Is this course Hilly?:
Not very. I'd classify it as flat, although there are a few gentle slopes.

trixiee wrote:Maybe add a bit more fibre to your diet? :wink:
I didn't have my morning coffee. :?

Jo-Jo wrote:Good job Sanders...I can just picture the announcer talking about you :D
Same announcer as at the Cabot Trail.
Next Up in 2010:
April - 21K de Montreal
May - Cabot Trail Relay Race, Legs 6&7

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:52 pm

Not ready for a half but pulls off a full... :clap:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm

Makes sense to me! Sounds like a great race.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Great job, Jeffrey! I may have to check that one out sometime. Sorry I missed you Friday night.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Very fun report to read! Congrats on running another marathon.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:53 pm

drghfx wrote:That's got to be one of the strangest (and funniest) marathon injuries ever! Good thing it didn't cause a DNF!!

DNF being Do Not Fart?

Nice run, Jeffrey.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 am

We're so glad you came!
Only a runner would be crazy enough opt to run an extra 21.1k just so he wouldn't miss the scenery on the other half of the Island! ;)
We had a fantastic time hanging out with you. And thanks for everything, including the enterataining storytime in the van ;)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:52 am

WOW!!! It takes a great deal of confidence to say "ah, to heck with it, I'll just run the full".
Well done, and keep 'practicing your form' so that injury doesn't reoccur. :lol:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:10 pm

It was an honour and a privilege to run with you on Sunday, and it certainly made a huge difference in both my time, and the time I had. :-) We should do it again soon! (Oh, and I think you placed fifth in your age group - congrats!)
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Nova Scotia: Not Up to the Half? Run the Full!

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 pm

Hermes wrote:
Sanders wrote:The original plan was to try for a PB at the Nova Scotia Half Marathon in Barrington. As the race approached, it became apparent that my training and preparation were totally inadequate and that I wouldn’t likely meet my goal. A few days before the race, I started thinking about running the full marathon at a relaxed pace in order to see more of Cape Sable Island. I finally decided to switch on the morning of the race.

Perfect logic! Only someone who runs under the name of Sanders, and is a distant relation of the Pooh Bear, would a) think that it made perfect sense to run a marathon when you haven't trained hard enough to meet your half marathon goal, because you'd see more of the scenery... and b) injure yourself, not while running, but while taking a port-a-potty break. :P

Well done on the marathon, my sweet! Sorry I wasn't there, of course. Glad to hear it was so much fun, and apparently well worth repeating! :D

definitely men's logic!! haha your report made me laugh, nice of you to pace our first timer to a great half! Good job on another marathon under your belt, I wish I could swing a marathon like you do!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:55 pm

Dude you pulled what in the port-a-potty????

Seriously....

??????!!!!!!!???????
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Great job :!: Sounds like a good decision you made :D
Sorry I missed your visit :!:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Stella
Bruce Kidd

Postby Stella » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 pm

A marathon Sanders style. I love it!!!!

Glad you had a good time! I'm totally jealous that you got to hang out with the 'fax crew, but I guess I can't complain seeing as how I got to hang with Q, run_longer and his family and witness lone_runner's first 70.3!!!

I hope to see and run with you soon!!

Heather
"Decision Must Be Instant...
Commitment Must Be Total."
-blazeman

2010: Qualifying for Boston and NYC at the Wineglass Marathon
2011: Running all 5 of the major marathons for Acquired Brain Injury and Leonard Cheshire Disability
London Marathon: April 17th
Boston Marathon: April 18th
Berlin Marathon: September 25th
Chicago Marathon: October 11th
New York City Marathon: November 6th

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Great work Sanders!

Hey isn't this almost the same story as Boston, ..." we'll I'm under trained, I'll run a marathon anyway"?

Try not to make a habit of this ;-)
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Return to “Run/Race Reports”