Rum Runners 2008 - Leg 9

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Rum Runners 2008 - Leg 9

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 am

I haven't raced since Cabot Trail. For those who don't know - that was at the end of May!

My training has not gone well, I've down graded goals, and lost all interest in racing. The only thing getting me through is that I will NOT DNS the Team Diabetes Okanagan. I registered for the half, rather than the full when it became clear I wasn't getting anywhere close to that kind of mileage, and to be honest I'm really not prepared for the Half either. The race is in two weeks time. I figure this weekend's race would be telling as to whether I should drop down again a notch to the 10k. I'm torn. I want to do something significant for this cause and for my sister, the fundraising AND the running...

My knee hurts all the time, snaps and aches and pains. I see RMT and chiro on a regular basis, but it seems to no avail.

So yesterday I was NOT into this race. For those who know me, it is telling that I was only getting on the road to join the relay at 10am. We arrived as leg 3 was finishing up.

Once we got on the race course we decorated my brand new Matrix with Team Diabetes banners, and we started cheering our team on.

I took my traditional dip in the ocean at Queensland, which woke me up and got me ready for the day. The water was much colder than last year and my toes became numb rather quickly...

By the time my leg rolled around I was ready to see what my knee could do. I wanted to push hard, but had no expectations and did not want to ruin myself for the big race in two weeks. I hadn't run in almost two weeks. My knee just was not liking the training.

So I started out at the back of the pack and became much more social than usual when I'm running a race. I introduced myself to a couple of ladies who seemed to be running at my pace and we stuck together for more than half of the run. It was a lot of fun to chat and push myself a little harder than I may have on my own. Eventually my friends each left me behind, but I was holding steady, so I was feeling good for them being able to pick it up and with a a nice negative split. For one, it was her first race ever, and for the other only her second.

My knee felt good at first, but the other was twinging after a while, so I must have been over compensating... then I hit 9k when the gradual downhill to the finish begins. My knee started giving me problems, but I decided I couldn't walk it off or I wouldn't likely run again this race.

They were calling for rain all day long, my leg got the only rain of the entire day. I actually enjoyed it as the air felt very heavy and humid all day long. The weather was perfect for running except for the humid/dampness in the air, so I quite enjoyed the rain even when it was coming down heavily. About 500 m before the finish line I came up behind a runner taking what appeared to be her third puff form her asthma puffer... I asked her if she was ok and told her we were almost there. I heard her start running again behind me. Once we hit the finish chute she ran up beside me and let her get by on the corner.

In the end I was very happy with my results, I held an average 6:10 pace for the 12.5ish km run. (I was so ill-prepared I didn't even remember the actual distance of my leg). I got to run into Mahone Bay when the traffic wasn't nearly as bad as previous years (their scarecrow festival usually falls on this weekend, but this year it's not until next weekend). I was tempted to jump into the Bay and swim across once I saw the churches though - my knee felt that bad... but I made it to the finish in good time!

The highlight of my day was when a couple came up to me during the leg before mine while I was getting ready and gave me $20 for my campaign! They're doing TD Hawaii this year!

So now I will spend my day stretching, heating and icing and hope for the best in the Okanagan. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with the Half?

"2 year Anniversary" pic:
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:44 am

Well done Trish, as always it was a pleasure to hang with you for a bit!!! You ran strong!!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:56 am

Here are your splits: (Trish borrowed my garmin)

1-6:04
2-6:18
3-6:01
4-6:06
5-6:06
6-6:12
7-6:34
8-6:36
9-6:11
10-6:46
11-5:46
12-6:22
12.48 - 2:38 for 5:33 pace

You did a great run. I don't know what to tell you about the race. I think you could do the half at a slower pace, for sure. But, is it worth risking your knee? You're still doing something significant for the cause and your sister. Running an extra 11.1 km (the half vs the 10k) are not going to make a difference for the cause or your sister. I think you need to make that decision when you get there.

It was great spending some time with you yesterday. I've missed you!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:05 am

Good to hear some news of you. You ran well but perhaps if your knee didn't like it then 10km will be fine. Of course if your knee is good then you'll have to decide. Glad to hear all is well.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:59 am

Great showing for being on the U & I team!!!

From past experiences, I would say do not do the half, to do the half, it does lead to injury when you increase mileage unreasonable. It is easier said than done and I still haven't learn for myself.... LOL

Whatever you decide you are still doing a great thing for the cause. It was great to hang out with you and drink some cold red wine ;-)
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:54 am

Great job, Trish! I love the pics, especially the one of you and Ang. What a great shot!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:55 am

I am glad you enjoyed running with the ladies, and the rain. Running on a sore knee is like a sucky birthday party.

Hopefully your knee heals quickly and I wish you the best of luck at OIM!

Oh, and you do have the most wicked sense of timing...

Always a pleasure to see your smile!
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Dani
Jerome Drayton

Postby Dani » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:59 am

Great time for not being prepared!

And happy 2nd anniversary!
I used to run. All the time.
Now? Notsomuch.
I'm still a runner, though.
Life is fluid and ever changing. I am too.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:07 am

Not sure what to say, Trish. First, total kudos for hanging tough and running strong on minimal training and a bad injury. That shows your grit and determination. Second, congrats on your 2 year anniversary, It's great to see two such super people coming together and then hanging together like you and Ian. Third, I don't know what to suggest for Okanagan. It's clearly going to be a social run, so pick whatever you are comfortable with. Long term injuries suck...been there, done that, too many times. For me the key is to keep pushing and digging until you find the root cause of the problems. It's easy for your "medical team" to treat the symptoms but sometimes the real root cause is not at all obvious....good luck, my friend. Just don't give up!!!!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:32 am

I'm sending you some good karma. Way to hang in there! I hope your sister is doing okay! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:37 am

Good job!! And great pics :D

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 am

Hey Trish, Congrats on both the race and your anniversary! I echo Nick's thoughts totally - two great people, and keep on searching for the root cause of your pain.

Does it bother you to walk? If not, I would aim to run a good 10K, and walk the rest...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm

Yay Trish. I'm glad to read that you got out there and got it done!

If you're seeing chiro and such regularly, can one of your specialsts tell you whether what's going on with your knee and whether or not they think running on it would make it worse? That could help your decision.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Well done!!! :D

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Kid...you have grit :D
As for your Team Diabetes race...as someone who donated...I would not be at all disappointed if you chose to run the 10km.

You've already done something significant for the cause...so please...do not put your health at risk because you think you will disappoint donors.

You won't. Big hugs to you....and Happy Anniversary :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:00 pm

nicely done, trish ;-)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:38 pm

Great race Trish. So nice to see you again, it's been way too long.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Well done!
:D
Do get that knee checked out! Like everyone else before, long term injuries are no fun...
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 am

Thanks everyone! :)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:53 am

congratulations! take care of your knee and good luck heading into the big race.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:03 pm

It was great to see you prepping for a race again! I was so PROUD when I saw you passing those two women. I wish I could have seen more of your race, but I felt I needed the time to get through traffic and get stretched and warmed up. I can't imagine how much more I'd hurt now if I hadn't warmed up!!

Happy Anniversary. 8)
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:58 pm

I guess there's no point in telling you that I wasn't really passing them! ;)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:19 am

(covers ears)LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ICAN'THEARYOU LA LA LA LA LA LA....

It sure looked like you were passing them! 8)
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am

Well done no matter what.

Great pictures....especialy the last one :oops:

...and thanks for not wanting to participate in the drunk dial.....you are the only adult among the group...... :lol:

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:23 pm

GReat job Trish! Geez, you ran a faster than me! :evil: :lol:
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Return to “Run/Race Reports”