mcshame runs like a PECer

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

mcshame runs like a PECer

Postby mcshame » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:42 pm

1st report of the year, please forgive me for making it long….

Event: Prince Edward County Marathon - October 5th, 2008

Training

Following my marathon last year in Manitoba, I was injured with PF and bone bruising in the right knee. More precisely, it was training for my marathon that injured me, not the marathon itself. I rehabbed for the rest of the year with no running and was really concerned that I would never run distance again. Overweight and out of condition, I started running again in January and slowly built up my mileage into the 20-30 km per week. Then Michelle approached me with the idea of running the PEC relay marathon and I thought, why not try to do the relay and the marathon together? To make sure that I didn’t injure myself in training again, I planned to do my training with no speedwork and low weekly mileage, understanding that I would not run the best marathon I was capable but still have the chance to experience the trill of the marathon. Ran 4 days a week, 3 32+ LSDs and mileage peaked at 60km per week, a low mileage plan indeed. I did slip in tempo runs in the last month of training and was very surprised of the speed I was achieving. I was also running this race for charities (Prostate & Kidney) affecting my dad and family which added additional incentive to make sure I finished the race and not pursue a PBs at all costs.

Goals

With my current marathon time of 4:07, I targeted a sub 4:00 marathon as my original goal. I adjusted the goal to 3:50 after completing my training with the whisper goal of 3:45. Also set a goal to raise $2,000 for charity with this marathon attempt.

Pre-Race

4 hours to get to Picton (4,000 pop) from Montreal, drove the race course (wrong turns 3 times) and then a fun pasta dinner with a bunch of Maniacs. Planned relay race strategy with the Orange Crush relay team and got about 4 hours sleep that night. Did my usual breakfast with one exception; I had a large cup of coffee. This had an impact on my race. Taking the bus to Wellington, I noted how far we were from Picton and the distance of the marathon really hit home. 5C at the start, shorts, long sleeve tech, buff and throw away mitts, I was very orange.

The Race

The race started with little fuss or drama, we just went. Found a 3:45 pace bunny (he’s a maniac, can’t recall his name). I had decided that I was going for a 3:45 (5:20ish pace) and see what I could do. Things were going well until about 6-7km when I needed to take a bio. I had just gone prior to the race, so I was annoyed. I then increased my pace to catch up to the pace bunny pack (4:50-5:00). This was done with ease. Transitioned with Nick at the 11km relay point and he flew out ahead. Was feeling good and the pace was comfortable, around 5:17. I would have liked 5:20 but it was the pace the pacer was going and within the acceptable pace range of 5:15-5:25 (according to an article Doonst sent me). Then around the 18km point, I needed another bio break! I was really pissed off, why is this happening? Now I realize, the large cup of coffee. Stupid..stupid!! I headed to the porta-potty and the pacer jumped ahead of me! I had to wait, do my thing and chase down the pack again. I likely would have stayed annoyed except I reached the half way mark and there was my mom and dad who I high fived. Caught up to Michelle (wife and relay partner), made sure we were both doing well, and continued on. I wasn’t going to catch the 3:45 pack again and put the goal out of my mind. But I think the damage was already done due to having to chase them twice. I started feeling less fresh after 26km and really noticed it at 32km. La (part of my relay team), chased me down and paced me until 34km, encouraging me to push on, she was a great help. At 34km, I started feeling little signs that my legs could cramp up which brought up images of my Manitoba marathon where I had spasms in my calves for the last 10km (death march over a 7:00 pace at times). Fearing a similar occurrence, I eased up a bit from 5:20 to 5:45 and then to 6:00 pace. DougG was our last relay partner and he was sticking with me but I asked him to run on as I intended to carefully run to the finish. Then the hills. I took on the 1st at 37km and only walked a bit near the top. I was heading for the next when I saw something, a bright orange buff on a runners head…..HCID!! I couldn’t help myself, I wanted to catch him. I took down the next hills and I saw my parents again; it gave me a little more strength. I pulled along side of HCID as he was taking a walk break. Side by side, we entered “downtown” Picton for the last 2.2km. The crowd support was fantastic, my pace picked up (back to sub 5:30) and Andy and I were pushing each other down the street. Andy had more kick and pulled a bit ahead but I was pushing really hard, feeling lots of pain. Then the RM crowd with meters left cheered me on and I was so moved I released all my pain in a primal scream in response and I sprinted to the finish (sub 5:00 pace).

I finished 3:52:13, a PB of 15 minutes.

Summary:

I am very pleased with this result. With low mileage and minimal speedwork, I ran injury free, and ultimately a stronger marathon.

I also learnt how powerful the mind games are in the later stages of the marathon. I never did cramp up and actually put out a strong pace at the end. I wasn’t prepared to risk it all as my goal was to complete the marathon sub 4:00 and raise funds for charity by completing a marathon, not DNF. But, I’ve learnt a lot this experience and I’m going to try to push thru those fears next time and face the pain head on.

I learnt that I must never drink coffee prior to a race. Those bio breaks really screwed up my pace strategy and I’m sure cost me a couple of minutes on my time.

The whole RM experience was fantastic, pre, during and post race. There were Maniacs everywhere and it definitely helped my performance. Thanks to you all, especially my wife that yelled at me from the bus when I was suffering on the stretch to 35km, it did jolt me back into focus. Also a cry out to my relay team, each of them helped me to the finish in addition to achieving there own goals.

I know there is a better marathon in me. I plan on doing a 10km in November to see what time I can get and then set a new goal and my sights on NCM.

Below is a set of pictures documenting my last 1km of the race just prior and following the RM crowd’s encouragement. Clearly, there is power in orange.

Pushing really hard and feeling the pain!

Responding to Maniacs in the crowd

Feeling much better after the release

My #1 fan!

Thanks for the great pictures IronGirl and getting them from your stalker.
Last edited by mcshame on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tallrunner
Tom Longboat

Postby tallrunner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Great race and PB. Way to go. You really worked hard at the end to bring it home. That is quite a PB, so yes you have a faster marathon in you.

I might have yelled crazily at yet as I went by, trying to say hi.

Best
Tall
Next up:

October 2011 - First 5k in over two years -gulp...

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm

That's a great read Lorne, the pictures are very entertaining too. You absolutely hit a lot of goal marks. Cossidering everything you had to deal with this is an encouraging result: you have real potential. Great seeing you again as well.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Great report...love the pics :D

I'm so happy this race was a good one. You've been patient with you recovery and getting back in the game...yesterday was your payback :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:14 pm

OMG, Lorne...your finishing pics are freakin' fabulous!

Great race, excellent report, and brilliant work on all the fundraising. Really interesting to learn what success you had with a lower mileage plan...I'll be similarly low-mileage (but, knock wood, injury free) heading into NYC and hope it pays similar dividends. Congrats!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Yay! Lorne your story was one of the highlights of this weekend. I watched your training and waited in anticipation to see what this weekend would bring.
It has been great to watch your comeback, and feel your determination.

I am happy you met the fundraising goal and that you had a super event at which to pull all these successes off. Congrats on a monster PB, and a fabulous fundraising campaign. It was wonderful to see you and Mich and I hope our paths cross again at future events! :clap:

Enjoy the sweet victory!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 pm

I had the insight to your whisper goal, your hopeful goal and your lack of sleep the night before. You have a wonderful supportive wife.
Your pictures are hillarious, it tells the story.
I am so happy that you finished strong and felt good after. It truly shows how you ran a sensible and smart marathon.
Thanks to you and Michelle for the advice with the roller and hope to see you both at ATB next year.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Lorne, that was fantastic! After watching your training and progress working toward this marathon (slow and steady training, very focused and determined to not repeat Manitoba) it was so nice to see it come together for you on Sunday. Right on! I had such a blast with Michelle and even had the pleasure of meeting your folks, once at the Expo (without really introducing ourselves, we chatted about the hoopla of a marathon) and then at the 1/2 start line while we waited for Mich's race and then our own to start! I'm so glad to finally get to meet both of you in person!

p.s. - although I personally didn't set the stage well to convince Michelle to try out the 1/2, I will keep working on encouraging her and hopefully we'll see the both of you at NCM 2009.

Cheers!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:49 pm

You're an easy guy to root for, man! You deserve your successes.

I hope you keep that avatar for a long time, 'cause that says it all, doesn't it?

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Great race & Great race report. Those photos are awesome - too bad there's no sound with them.

Congrats
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 pm

Congratulations on the HUGE PB Lorne. It has been great to follow your training this year and see your dedication to both running and weight loss.

Glad you are fully back in the running world, and I expect to see great things from you to come!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Those are great photos! You looked so happy when you came over the finish line! Although I had never met you, I knew instantly who you were!

Congratulations Lorne on the great PB!
Jane

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:22 pm

Awesome, awesome PB big guy!!!! :D So when's #3? :roll:

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Loren
One word AWESOME!!!!!!!
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 pm

Hurray for you!! Congrats on a great comeback from injuryland. I'll have to get some pointers from you.

Congrats on a smart, well-executed race (except for well, maybe the pre-race hydration :wink: )... but you ran through it, er, you know what I mean.

Great job on fund-raising and the relay! Sounds like you're pumped and back where you want to be. Awesome! :dance:

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:13 pm

Excellent race Lorne!

I love the primal scream picture :lol:.

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Lorne congrats on the PB. It was great to meet you and I'm pleased your race ended so well. To me it looked like you and Andy were good for another 10K :D

Hope to see you again soon!

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Great race and PB :clap: :clap:
Great report. I am looking forward to see your progress. Some of your training runs show that you have the potential to go much faster.

It was nice to meet you and your wife.
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Congratulations Lorne and love the primal scream. That's what it is all about! I hope to meet you at NCM! :dance:
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Congratulations, Lorne on an incredible race and PB ... Glad that I was there to share it with you ....

As we chatted about yesterday at the M&G, what could've been had you caught up to me a few km's earlier .... as you mentioned, we both seemed to ignore the cramps in our legs, once we hooked up and picked up the pace over the final 2.2K :think::think:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Great race PECer!! Nice talking to you, I'm very happy you had a great race.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:57 pm

Way to go, Captain. I knew you had it in you and you certainly delivered. Congrats on a huge PB, coffee or not. Thanks for organising the relay team for us. It was great to meet you and share some laughs, plan bag strategies and hear all about the birds.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:55 pm

It was nice meeting you. Congratulations.
Great report too!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:20 am

W00t! Way to go! Put those pics close by you. When your kids say "this is too hard", pull out the pics, and say "no. this is hard" :D

Well done! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 am

Way-to-Friggin'-Go. It was a tough race for you, but all marathons are for everyone, but you were tougher and way smarter. Way to think through and adjust though out the race, finishing with a scream and a little kick, way better than crawling. Congrats, looks like you have figured out the distance - next one will be a race.

Enjoy the recovery.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”