Lumpfish runs the Valley Harvest Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
lumpfish
Johnny Miles

Lumpfish runs the Valley Harvest Marathon

Postby lumpfish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:46 am

First of all, if anyone is familiar with the Valley Harvest Marathon, this isn't the same race as run in the past. For 2008, the race was run on a completely different course. While more picturesque, it was a much more difficult race this year with some tough hills.

Mile 1 - 6:50
Mile 2 - 7:10
Mile 3 - 6:53
Mile 4 - 6:59
Mile 5 - 7:02
Mile 6 - 7:06
Mile 7 - 7:12
Mile 8 - 6:59
Mile 9 - 7:39
Mile 10 - 7:04
Mile 11 - 7:09
Mile 12 - 7:06
Mile 13 - 7:01
Mile 14 - 6:59
Mile 15 - 6:59
Mile 16 - 7:24
Mile 17 - 7:10
Mile 18 - 7:23
Mile 19 - 7:26
Mile 20 - 7:18
Mile 21 - 7:17
Mile 22 - 7:56
Mile 23 - 7:40
Mile 24 - 7:46
Mile 25 - 8:44
Mile 26 - 8:55

I had planned on running at 7:15 pace all the way through, but got caught up in the day - you couldn't ask for better weather and set out at too aggressive a pace. Not to much to report in the first 14 miles, I felt strong and was running great - just too fast.

Right around mile 15 payback for ignoring my plan began to occur as I began to feel quite nauseous. I fought the urge to purge from mile 15 to around mile 20. Just as I was getting things back under control we hit a long hill that simply took all of the starch out of me. Feeling fresh, it probably would not have been too big a deal, but having just finished 19 miles at too aggressive a pace, it turned out to be killer.

From here on in I was in survival mode, just trying to keep one foot in front of the other and focus on form. At this stage, I also borrowed a mantra from my 5 year old son Simon who at a kids race this summer started spontaneously calling out "I'm Tough, I'm Tough". I thought of this and started to do the same. Around mile 24 I took a walking break for a few hundred yards as my legs were cramping big time. I repeated this in an uphill on mile 25 as I was pretty much shot now.

Heading into the home stretch in mile 26 is when things truly got interesting. I was running along and came to an intersection where a driver pulled up, looked in the opposite direction and then gunned the car without looking for oncoming runners (at a point when I was in the middle of the aforementioned intersection). I happened to see the car coming out of the corner of my eye and straight-armed the bonnet of the car. The impact propelled me in a 360 degree spin such that I ended up landing on my feet in the same direction as I was originally going. This is not a recommended maneuver to be attempted 25 1/2 miles into a marathon. I looked back to see the car speed away, so I continued on my way toward the finish line. And with adrenaline coursing through my veins didn't really feel too much at that point.

Here I am just before the finish line:

I had been hoping for a 3:10 and fell a little short at 3:13:56 (which is still a PB and BQ for me). That said, I learned some valuable lessons about sticking to the pre-race plan and not getting caught up in the moment. I also learned that no matter how great the pain during the race, it all feels worth it when it is all said and done.

I have some pain in my shoulder right now from the impact of the car driving my arm up into my shoulder joint, but it appears to be muscular so I am pretty much fine. In some ways I am impressed that I could pull off the defensive move I did giving how I was feeling at that time. Anyway, that is a sketch of how the Valley Harvest Marathon went for me.
What's up?

Boston Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 am

:shock: :shock: A friggi' Hit & Run on a Marathon Course ?? :evil: :evil:

And, a smokin' race and PB, as a result ? 8) :shock: :shock: Congratulations :clap::clap::clap:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 am

Happy to hear yu didn't get hurt. Those last 5miles were tough, or so say your splits. Congrats on the PB/BQ. :D

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 am

Congrats on the PB and the BQ! Those pacing lessons learned will help you down the line - and if you can avoid a collision, I bet you'll be seeing more PBs!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

lumpfish
Johnny Miles

Postby lumpfish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:32 am

Fizz - you are right, the last five miles were extremely tough. I knew better, but didn't listen to myself. Oh well - all is good now.

Great part of the run was just talking to some of the runners out on the course. It is the great thing about our sport. It allows for camaraderie while at the same time being competitive with ones self.

I should add the the race coordinators were great about my getting hit by the car. There were paramedics and physiotherapists all over me to ensure I wasn't truly hurt. They were concerned that adrenaline and euphoria of having finished may have been masking pain.

I think they also learned to have personnel stationed at every intersection. But, all in all, it was a well run race and truly a beautiful course - much better than the old one.
What's up?

Boston Marathon

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:53 am

Great job Lumpfish! Sorry I didn't make it down to see you run.

CONGRATULATIONS on the PB and the BQ!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:02 am

Congratulations on the PB and the BQ :clap: :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:23 am

Holy scary...what the heck was that driver thinking... :shock:
Still an amazing result, congrats on the BQ too!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:53 am

Congrats on your BQ!

lumpfish wrote:I should add the the race coordinators were great about my getting hit by the car. There were paramedics and physiotherapists all over me to ensure I wasn't truly hurt. They were concerned that adrenaline and euphoria of having finished may have been masking pain.

Someone hit you with their vehicle and drove off. It's good that you were checked out and are okay, but did the police take a statement?
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

lumpfish
Johnny Miles

Postby lumpfish » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 am

Yep the Police did take a statement and are going to contact the runner who was behind me and witnessed it.
What's up?

Boston Marathon

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:57 am

PB, BQ and hit by a car...............all in the same race. WOW.
Congrats on a great race.

Cheryl
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Like I wrote on your blog, I cannot believe you were hit by a car... and that they drove off AND that you kept on running!! LOL

It wasn't a pretty finish but you'Re Boston bound and you PBed, that's all that counts!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Wow, Lumpfish, way to go! Nice PB and BQ. Sorry to hear the last half wasn't as planned, but that's what makes the marathon interesting!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

I understand being disappointed with a PB/BQ, good effort out there, lesson learnt, stick to the plan. It makes the goal a bit sweeter when you do hit it.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:17 pm

A Hit & Run is really not a good thing to happen in a marathon - I hope the guy is caught and dealt with, and I hope the organizers do a better job marshalling the course next time. At mile 25 1/2 your brain is not going to be at its best, and they should be watching out for idiots like that driver.

On the race side, sorry to hear you didn't hit your goal, but it's pretty clear you know why it didn't happen. Keep your pace in check early on and you should be there.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Holy cow! I believe everything has been said about the time (PB and BQ good), your disappointment (lesson learned), hit & run :shock: and still finish...wow, quite an eventful race. Way to go! :clap:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Congrats on the PB and BQ. :shock: on the Hit and Run.
Lesson learned for pacing.

Sounds like quite the eventful race! :lol:

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:15 am

Ah, wouldn't be a Nova Scotian race without a hit and run, too bad it was you this time. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Congrats on the BQ, and being within 4 minutes of your goal time.

Best of Luck in '09
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:26 am

Congrats on the amazing performance! A PB and BQ and a hit&run all in the same race. Glad you're not hurt, but I can't say enough about bad traffic control on the organizers part! :evil: I hope they really change that in the future and I also hope the cops track down the driver who hit you.
Have a great 2009r and enjoy Boston!
Ultrarunner again

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Congrats.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”