Chilly willy mix up

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Magoo
Tom Longboat

Chilly willy mix up

Postby Magoo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Ran the chilly willy half today. This year I'm attempting to keep some fitness after my fall marathon. I wasn't sure what to expect today since I have not run a half this year. Got to the race just in time, well caffinated with some nervous energy from just making it to the race(8:50). Ran the first few miles in fourth place. After miles 2 and 3 really slowed down we realized the guy in second wasn't going anywhere. Just before 5k we passed him and passed by 2 girls clapping at the 5k marker.

At 7k the leader was coming towards us shaking his head. He asked if we knew where to go. We ran another half k looking for somebody or a marker. The guy I was following turned to me yelled bullsheet. He took off in the direction the leader went while I just kind of tried to gather my thoughts. Found out the 5k was a turn around :( . When we came back to it I was measuring almost 5 miles. The middle of the race was just kind of a tempo run after this. I was very relaxed though which always helps. I kept the guy who was in second within sight the whole race. That was the only thing that kept me from getting lost. There was alot of turn arounds and forks along the path which made for a crappy course.

With 500 metres left I passed the last guy who didn't run the wrong the way although I didn't know it at the time. I thought that was a better finish than some of the people who just threw the race after the mix up.
Finished in third with a time of 1:32:xx for a 14.8 mile run according to my Garmin. Pretty good chilli after the race but the XL running room shirts for third place kinda sucked. After the mix up the top three stayed the same but overall this race was bullsheet. In the end a good training run.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Yeah, I don't know that I'd call the Chilly Willy a "race" so much as an "organized run". I've done it a few times, but always just for fun.

Good for you on finishing 3rd, though! Congrats!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:52 pm

That sucks... :(

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:02 pm

Wow, my first reaction to the thread title, was "Damn, It was today? I should've run it". After reading the thread glad I didn't. I would still be lost out there! Sorry about the aggravation, but to still come in 3rd place is fantastic! Congrats.

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby flexrun » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:56 pm

You must have been very frustrated with the lack of markers on the course :roll: ! Its good to see that you still managed to finish in 3rd place and kept a postitive attitude 8) .
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Congrats on a solid effort and on finishing third! You got a good run in.
I've run this race a couple of times, and like La, I'd be inclined to call it a very informal race with chip timing and a great post-race chili lunch. The course marking was pretty dodgy when I ran it, too, but the post-race lunch kinda makes up for it.
Ultrarunner again

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:59 pm

UltraQueenga wrote:I've run this race a couple of times, and like La, I'd be inclined to call it a very informal race with chip timing and a great post-race chili lunch. The course marking was pretty dodgy when I ran it, too, but the post-race lunch kinda makes up for it.

There was chip timing when you did it?? Not the years I ran it!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:20 pm

nice run, crappy race.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Edward
Tom Longboat

Postby Edward » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 am

Nice run,

Too bad about the course. You have had a great fall, nice run in NY, time to take it easy. See you maybe at Boxing Day if you are running it.

Thanks
Edward

January 2012- New Year`s Day Marathon and Run4Rkids 6 Hour Ultra
February 2012 - Melbourne Beach Marathon
March 2012 - Around the Bay
April 2012 - Paris to Ancaster Cycling Race and the "No Wimp" Challenge 21k and 50 k in Michigan
May 2012 - Sulphur Springs 50 k
June 2012 - Niagara 100 k -first ever DNF
July 2012 - Badwater Ultramarathon (crew member)
August 2012 - Beast of Burden 50 Miler
September 2012 - Run for Heros Marathon
October 2012 - Vulture Bait 50 k
November 2012 - Road2Hope Marathon and JFK 50 Miler
December 2012 - Have to find a race to make it an even dozen.

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 am

that sounds frustrating! congrats on third.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

shaggytour2005
Tom Longboat

Postby shaggytour2005 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 am

Magoo,

That race is always a scramble at best. I remember the 10k race two years ago was the same way as people were turning back all over the place because their Garmins were telling them a different distance. I think they said we ran 10.8k that year. The funny thing is that the winner of your race has won that race before so I am surprised he did not know the route better. I think he has ran the event a few time before and is a great runner that usually studies the courses well. Oh well!

Great race on your behalf! Nice way to lead into the holiday season.

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:27 am

Robbie-T wrote:nice run, crappy race.

Well put, that says it all.
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:05 am

La wrote:
UltraQueenga wrote:I've run this race a couple of times, and like La, I'd be inclined to call it a very informal race with chip timing and a great post-race chili lunch. The course marking was pretty dodgy when I ran it, too, but the post-race lunch kinda makes up for it.

There was chip timing when you did it?? Not the years I ran it!

There was chip timing in '06 and '07 when I ran (neoprene band around the ankle type). Last year they only did a 10.5k instead of the half because there was an ice storm the night before the race and the roads were like a skating rink.
The organizers are making it sound like a Real Race, when in fact they put on a relaxed, friendly, informal club run. It's deceiving. People show up all hyper and stuff and then go home disappointed.
Ultrarunner again

Magoo
Tom Longboat

Postby Magoo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:52 am

I know this is a small race and I wasn't expecting much. I was mainly looking for a half time (although uncertified to complete 2008) It just seemed too complicated for a small race. There was plenty of volunteers, they just were'nt organized well

The two guys ahead of me said they were going the way of the old route.
The main issue was the girls at the turn around were cheering instead of telling people to turn around. It took them a while to realize the mistake.
People assumed it was a 5k turn around for the 10k because they didn't say anything.

The winner is a great runner and a nice guy, but it kind of irked me that he missed a loop. I don't know if it was to make up for going off course or by accident. He would of won either way. Most runners ran the course as marked afterward but some went further off course than others at the turn around, which made things chaotic and not so fun.

My Garmin gave me some great data look at. If I left it at home the run would have been more of a washout.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”