MrsStriders 1st 1/2 marathon - DisneyWorld 2009

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

MrsStriders 1st 1/2 marathon - DisneyWorld 2009

Postby MrsStrider » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:32 am

Summary (for those who can’t read the very long story)
1st ½ marathon – Chip time: 1:46:59 / Goal time: 1:49ish
17th/900 in Women 45-49
Overall: Most fun, best race ever

Background
What started as a sneaky little twinkle in David/Strider’s eyes ended up being the best race to date for me. About 18 months ago, a friend of ours, Andy challenged David to run in the 2009 Disney Goofy (1/2 marathon race followed by a full marathon the next day). Of course, that planted a seed for David that was bound to grow into a beautifully colourful Tree of Life. :lol: So, as part of this marvellous idea, David asked me to consider pacing him for the ½ in order to keep him from running it too hard so that he could recover well for the full the next day. Of course, if David needed my help, I’m there. As all of you know, when I started running, I said that I’d never run more than 5k. Oh, what a sneaky way of getting me to run a ½ ! Then, he started telling everyone that he was pacing me… ARG! Ya think after 24+ years, I’d learn my lesson eh? Yup, I’m kinda slow in some ways. :shock: And so it began.

Training Ups & Downs - Mystery pains? What’s up with that?
I officially started my ½ marathon 16 week training plan on Sept. 22nd/08. Up until then, I had only run 21k once in training. Winter hit Ottawa early and hard this year which affected my training. Many runs were on either thick, snow covered roads or occasionally on glare ice. During my last long run, at 10k of 24k, I started to feel a stabbing pain in my left shin on every footfall. It hurt A LOT! It hurt more than any other pain that I’d experienced during running, but I ran the final 14k because it was on my schedule. After that, almost every run was very painful. According to our physiotherapist, she always experiences ‘mystery pains’ towards the end of training. Both my massage therapist and Chiropractor suspected a stress fracture. I was definitely discouraged and disappointed after all the effort, time and commitment that I had invested in my first ½. But, as I told both of them, it would NOT stop me from running the race. So for the last couple of weeks before, I eliminated some runs, iced my leg a lot and downed a lot of Advil.

The Race – a little bit of magic
The night before the race, we met our friends, Andy (instigated the Disney races in the first place) and Carol for a delicious dinner and then headed back to the room to get everything ready as we had to be up @ 3 am in order to get on the bus @ 4 am. While we couldn’t understand why we had to be on the bus that early, once we lined up for the buses, it all became clear. The line was big and it took 3 buses before we got on. When we arrived at the drop off area, we headed to the start area and once there, stood in the massive porta-potty lines and then met up with Andy and Carol. My stomach was very upset – nerves were definitely frazzled. It’s quite a walk to the start corals and along the way, my stomach got worse. Thank God that there were more porta-potties near the start. We lined up in Wave 1, Coral A, stripped off our throw away pants & tops and anxiously awaited the countdown. In true Disney fashion, the start was spectacular with brilliant, colourful fireworks to send us off. At that point, something magical happened – my stomach settled down and I felt SO good. Nothing hurt. My legs felt great and I felt confident that I would be able to finish feeling good.

The plan was for the 3 of us to run the race together. As the 1st couple of kms were very crowded, we had a slow start, but we anticipated this and knew that it wouldn’t affect the goal. We were blessed with a full moon which made it incredibly beautiful running by the bright moonlight. As this was my first time running a race in the dark, it all felt quite surreal. After the crowd thinned enough, we settled in to a very comfortable pace with each of taking turns on occasional surges with the others reminding us to slow it down. :wink:

It was so fun running with David and Andy. As the pace was slow for David, he was having a blast with all the spectators, the Disney characters and the volunteers. He was dancing around, throwing kisses and doing high fives. I loved it…. really, really loved it. It was great knowing that Andy was with us too as it was because of him that we were there. While the entire Disney ½ course is wonderful, I absolutely loved running through Magic Kingdom starting at mile 5. It was still dark, but all the park lights were on and the streets were lined with spectators and it truly felt magical. I’ll never forget how it felt to run through the famous Cinderella Castle – it was very special to me.

For the most part, I can’t recall a lot of the rest of the race. It seemed to go by so fast. At around 15k, my shin started to hurt, but not badly. It wasn’t the sharp, stabbing pain – it was just a dull ache. Having run through the sharp pain in training, it was very manageable. With each km, we gradually picked up the pace. At 19k, fatigue started to set in. My muscles felt strong and my breathing was well controlled, I just felt tired all over. We saw our very own RM Andy as well around that time and he looked great. At that point, David started to pull ahead and tried to encourage me to run faster. I tried and managed to increase some, but I didn’t have my usual reserve at the end to really push the pace. Once we were closing in on the finish, I pushed as hard as I could because David said that we could make 1:47:00…. Faster, faster, faster….FINISH! WooHoo. I did it! I really, really did it. Never in my wildest dreams had I believed that I could, but I did. David picked me up in his arms, swung me around, and kissed me – everyone around us laughed and smiled as us crazy Canadians. Did I say… I DID IT? I was so happy. And Andy was right behind us with a big smile on his face. Oh by the way, thank you Andy for making this happen and thank you Carol for being so supportive and wonderful to be with at Disney.

That night, we attended the pasta dinner, proudly wearing our gorgeous Donald ½ and Circle of Life 5k medals. We met up with fellow Running Maniacs, Andy, Tori (Rob and baby Owen), Mary (and Mary’s Mom). It was wonderful to meet them and share in the glory. Thanks for sharing in the laughs, the pride and in making memories that will last forever.

The Results – trust in the training
So what worked? Prayers, trust in the training and in yourself and throw in a little bit of Disney magic. I’m still in shock that I was able to not only complete a ½ marathon, but I did it under my goal time and with a 2:05 negative split! WooHoo!
:dance: :dance: :dance:

http://results.active.com/pages/oneResult.jsp?pID=48681234&rsID=74543&pubID=3

Final Words
Disney is a wonderful place to race and a wonderful place to spend time with your family and thousands of fellow runners. It was amazing being there with our kids and having them run their first 5k race and experience it on such a grand scale. They can now appreciate how hard it is to walk down stairs after a race. I loved everything about it, but I especially loved running with my best friend and life partner, David/Strider. Thank you for encouraging me every day and for helping me to realize that I can do things that I never believed possible. Thank you to all our Maniac friends too and again to Andy for planting that wonderful seed.

Huge congratulations to all who finished the Goofy! What a massive accomplishment. And especially to David/Strider whose combined ½ and full time was 5:17:21 which included qualifying for 2010 Boston with his marathon finish time of 3:30:21. Who qualifies for Boston @ The Goofy? Oh ya, David. :shock: :lol: :clap: And to our friend Andy who ran a sub 6 hour Goofy – outstanding! Now it’s your turn to qualify for 2010 Boston so we can be there for you.

The Pictures
http://thebohns.zenfolio.com/p132599190

Couple of favs:

Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:43 am

What a truly great race! I can't wait to see what you kind of time you pull on your next half! Congrats!!

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:48 am

Great race, awesome result, wonderful report. Thanks for sharing what a wonderful experience you had. Sounds like a great family time!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:49 am

I love when someone has such a GREAT result with a GREAT time running it!
Kim, yes you DID do it....not its time to celebrate.

Slow down, take it all in....and ENJOY!

Then, get back at it!!!! :wink:

Hugs to you...what a great season you had!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm

TheBman wrote:Hugs to you...what a great season you had!

HAD???? This is just the Beginning - 2009 :wink:

Sweetie, my love - you know how proud I am of you, but so everyone else knows ---- Gawd Darn Woman you are G-R-E-A-T xoxoxox

Seriously - you ran such a SOLID - and even paced race there was never a falter in your stride for the whole 21.1km. Hands down this was the funnest race I have ever had. There are those memorable times in your life you never forget; the three of us - shoulder to shoulder just hammering along, WOW...but the look of absolute joy on you face after we finished, that will be with me forever.

You not only DID it but you did it with Style and Grace.

Smooches

(so what's next?)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Congratuations! It sounds like you had just an amazing race and you had a very impressive time for your first one too! What a nice experience for your first 1/2. Thanks for the report.

Andrea

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:20 pm

Sounds like just a great day! For the record that's 10 minutes faster than my first half.
Mrs. Strider wrote: Now it’s your turn to qualify for 2010 Boston so we can be there for you.
Back at you!!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:24 pm

You Striders are fantastic! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Congrats on a fabulous race, Kim!!! That's quite a debut and a hard act to follow. And so much fun, to boot...it's almost illegal.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the report -- you brought tears to my eyes, but good ones... :D What a special time for you and your family... enjoy -- well done!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:50 pm

awesome!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Amazing report, Kim! And such a great placing in "our" age group, too! I'm sure you've got lots more speedy races where that came from!

I forgot to mention about the beautiful full moon in my report - thanks for the reminder! It was really quite beautiful, especially as it started to set.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: MrsStriders 1st 1/2 marathon - DisneyWorld 2009

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:16 pm

MrsStrider wrote:
For the most part, I can’t recall a lot of the rest of the race. It seemed to go by so fast.

I love this line...umm...Missy...the race did go by fast cuz you were a speedster on the course :roll: :wink:

I've been waiting for this report...awesome job Kim. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Awesome race and 1/2 debut!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 pm

What a great race report! Congratulations.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:43 pm

So happy for you, you can see that you can do any thing you want, your limits are determined by you. I think you are a great runner with great potential.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Congratulations, on another awesome debut race, Kime ... :clap::clap:

If I recall, haven't I been there for most of your debut races and PBs ?? other than your trail events :think::think:

It was great meeting up with you and your family over the various M&G's at Disney ... Now, if you can only convince Dave to go to Disneyland in September for the Coast-to-Coast Challenge :pray::pray: :wink: :P

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Way to go Kim. Great job on your first 1/2. May you have just as much fun in your next one. I'm very excited for you.......
Great pictures, your smile just seems to radiate.......
I think it is great that your whole family ran the 5Km. You children are a chip off the old blocks.... (hee hee)
Looking forward to following your training for your next events. How's the leg doing now?
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Congratulations Kim, you ran an awesome race !! These are lovely words that Strider wrote

strider wrote:but the look of absolute joy on you face after we finished, that will be with me forever.

You are truly blessed to have each other to run with and share these wonderful moments.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:59 am

Congratulations :clap: :clap: First HM and beating your goal....awesome :!: Sounds like a super fun time :D
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:16 am

Great report, Kim! It is very inspiring. Congrats on your first half, and on your great results! I love that your whole family got to experience this together.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 am

Wonderful report! Congratulations on a well run race and of course your first half! :D
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:23 am

Smokin' rrace Mrs S.!!! Can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!!! :D

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:33 am

Summary (for those who can’t read the very long story)
1st ½ marathon – Chip time: 1:46:59 / Goal time: 1:49ish
17th/900 in Women 45-49
Overall: Most fun, best race ever

Fantastic. Congratulations!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 am

Kim, what a fantastic report, from a fantastic experience, from a truly fantastic lady.
Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on an incredible achievement... bravo!!! You DID IT!!!!

So much more amazing stories are yet to come from you... I can't wait. I sure hope you revel in this for a good long while.
:D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Return to “Run/Race Reports”