RA vs Johnny Miles, again....

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
RA.
Kevin Sullivan

RA vs Johnny Miles, again....

Postby RA. » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:31 am

This is my third time running a race at Johnny Miles, and the third time Johnny has beaten me.

I had 2 goals today:
1- walk only through water stations DONE
2- finish under 60:00. NOT DONE

The rain held off til the start, then it started raining, quite heavy at times. There were tons of people there. We got stuck behind a bunch at the start line, and didn't have time to warm up.

The course starts with an uphill, and that's when I felt something twinge in my left quad. By 2k, it was quite noticeable and I was getting tired. But, just keep running.

Nothing major to tell about the race. Sore quad that would hurt more the faster I ran. Lots of rain. Lots of people. Started to slow down from 4-9k with splits all over 6 min. I stuck with walking only at water stations, and booted it down the hill at 8.5ish km. Watching my garmin, I thought I had it... I passed 10k (garmin) at 59:30. BUT SOMEONE MOVED THE FINISH LINE!!! (Not really)

I gave it my all in the last bit and came across at 1:00:21. Bah. Slower than bluenose. Could barely walk at the end and will need to get to the RMT.

I'm a little disappointed, but I felt I raced hard for me for today. I didn't take any extra walk breaks and I kept my brain in check. I learned to NOT look at my garmin as it may not be on with the course. Bah.

Next race is August 16...
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:32 am

doing that on a pulled quad means that healthy you will be well under!
Congrats!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:36 am

well done despite the rain and your quad. if you gave it your all then you can't really be disappointed. take what the day gives you. take some time off and recover. no doubt you'll break 60 min.

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:43 am

You're teetering on the brink. Some day soon the stars are going to line up in your favour. You have what it takes RA. Congrats on being tough out there.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:13 pm

redhead wrote:You're teetering on the brink. Some day soon the stars are going to line up in your favour. You have what it takes RA. Congrats on being tough out there.

exactly...it'll be a sweet redemption too! Way to go RA!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Congratulations again, RA. As I said before-- you'll get it. Today wasn't your day, but you will get there.

That quad sounds nasty, though-- hope you can work it out. Did you do a warmup? That can really make a difference in getting into your pace quickly in a short race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Try to get there super-early next race and do a warm-up... also seed yourself closer to the front! You'll get 'er next time!

Heal well and quickly!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Forget what you didn't do, here's to what you did! You're building a solid and consistent base. Your time will come, big time!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:41 pm

I AM learning! I am much stronger mentally in the race this year. I do feel pretty good about today. All the constructive comments help for the next one.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Too bad Ang - so close. You'll nail it soon. Well done on a race well thought out :clap: :clap:
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm

You'll get it at the Navy 10k! Good job today! You pushed hard.

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Good job Ang!
You pushed through some pain and seem to have kept yourself focused on your goal. 21 seconds! Piece of cake on a better weather day and no sore quad.
You WILL do this! I like Dennis' idea. Navy 10K, LOOK OUT! Here comes RA!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Good work Ang- you'll get it. I agree that a warmup would probably help. Are you doing speedwork in your training? You'll likely find that all the mileage you'll be doing for the marathon will help your strength too.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:25 pm

so close once again! I'm sure the weather didn't help. You'll get it next time =)
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:27 pm

So close Angela!

This was the second year that I didn't get there. Maybe next year. I looked up your results this morning as soon as they were posted. The next race will have it for sure. Even if you had dropped only one of the walks/water you would have had it.

That rain and wind make it tough too. You'll get it soon! We're all rooting for you!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:52 pm

so close! hitting that first goal is great - a step towards goal #2 - you will get there!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Nicely done, Angela ... you are consistent ... 8) and, yes, you will hit that sub 60 minute milestone this summer, that I am sure ..
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Congrats! That time is sooo within your grasp.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Wow... so close too...
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:08 pm

QuickChick wrote:Good work Ang- you'll get it. I agree that a warmup would probably help. Are you doing speedwork in your training? You'll likely find that all the mileage you'll be doing for the marathon will help your strength too.
agreed. Warm up was planned, but didn't happen. Then a slow start was planned but didn't happen. Speedwork was planned, but happened sporadically, at best. Mostly through ultimate, really. Honestly, given those factors, I don't think I could have expected much different. I do think the consistency of marathon training (with the group there to keep me honest) will do wonders. That is, providing I take care of myself and don't get hurt running or at ultimate.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:26 pm

RA wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Good work Ang- you'll get it. I agree that a warmup would probably help. Are you doing speedwork in your training? You'll likely find that all the mileage you'll be doing for the marathon will help your strength too.
agreed. Warm up was planned, but didn't happen. Then a slow start was planned but didn't happen. Speedwork was planned, but happened sporadically, at best. Mostly through ultimate, really. Honestly, given those factors, I don't think I could have expected much different. I do think the consistency of marathon training (with the group there to keep me honest) will do wonders. That is, providing I take care of myself and don't get hurt running or at ultimate.

Speedwork works best (and is easier on your body) when the mileage is higher. So it will all likely come together with the consistency and higher mileage of marathon training.

A good warmup will make more than a 21-second difference too.

Keep it up. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:17 pm

It's only a matter of "when", not "if" you go sub-60 & your mental game is getting stronger with each attempt.

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 pm

The important thing is you gave it your all. Well done.
Live to Run; Run to Live.

Garrett
Tom Longboat

Postby Garrett » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:18 pm

Hitting that first goal is a nice accomplishment, congrats.

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:08 am

You WILL get there. It sounds like you are getting stronger with every workout and learning a lot about your race strategy. Can't wait for your next race.
Green Smoothies Rock!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”