Crazy From the Heat–Tater’s First Marathon (addition pg 2)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Crazy From the Heat–Tater’s First Marathon (addition pg 2)

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:59 pm

776 days from my first walk on the journey to running (May 7, 2007).
71 pounds lost in that time.
Four half marathons.
1000.16 kilometers logged in 2009 in preparation.
860 registered for the Full Marathon
Temperature at start: 19°C
After one hour: 21°C
After two hours: 24°C
After three hours: 26°C (feels like 30°C)
After four hours: 28°C (feels like 32°C)
691 Full Marathon finishers (80%)
Last recorded time 2009: 5:56:xx (course shut down due to heat)
2008 saw 90% finish.
Last recoreded time 2008: 6:45:xx
My Time:
Four Hours.
Twenty Minutes.
Six Seconds.

Overall Position: 314/691 (45.44%)
Age Group: 38/65 (58.46%)

It was hot out there my friends. Damn hot. :shock:

Many of you have been following my journal for the last few weeks leading up to my first marathon attempt. You may have noticed that all the training runs were essentially in cool/cold weather. My last long run was at an average temperature of 5°C. Needless to say I was not really acclimatized to the heat. :lol:

My training, I felt, had been good. I know for your first marathon you shouldn’t set a time goal, but I felt that under ideal conditions that I could, realistically, be anywhere from just under four hours to four fifteen.

So, let’s start at the night before. I got my gear ready, and I checked the weather. Yep, still going to be hot out. But cloudy. Good, no direct sun beating down on my head. At least there’s that. Settle down and get to sleep.

Alarm goes off at 4:30 a.m. Ugh. Get up and check the forecast again. Hey! Where did my clouds go? Awww, crap.

Oh well, can’t do anything about that. Time to get ready. Grab a shower, get into my shorts and RM shirt and buff, and grab a bagel with peanut butter and some water. Get the coffee ready and fill up my mug. Read some of the paper, get my shoes on, and then wait for my buddy to pick me up.

Getting to the university goes smoothly, and we park right on campus. My buddy has an office, so we get to use a real bathroom. Get that out of the way and head to the starting area to check in my bag. I feel good so far! Amble over to the starting area, and line up in the 4:00 – 4:30 area. Hmmm, feeling the urge to pee again. It’ll have to wait. Like we did at the starting line. 7:00 a.m. start my butt! Flag ceremony, national anthem, invocation, speeches…why didn’t they start these earlier? I just want to get going. Image

Wheelchair racers get their start. Getting close now. Why do we have to listen to this lame song? I don’t like Man In Motion…. OK, here we go…and we’re off! Shuffle shuffle shuffle to Chariots of Fire and then we get to start running by the start line. Start the watch.

My plan was to go at a comfortable pace, and see where I was at after each mile. I’d take fluids at every station. I had lots of gels, but we’ll talk about those later. I had e-load caps (supplied by NewFinnLoper), and I was going to try and take those every 10 km.

The first mile goes nice and easy, down University Crescent out to Pembina Hwy. First split 8:52 – not bad. Breathing under control, have to dodge a few runners but it wasn’t too crowded. Up Pembina to Crescent Drive, into a lovely treed neigborhood. Mile 2 is right at the beginning, split 8:29. I’ve got my iPod on, and this is where it decides to short circuit on me a bit. I futz with it for a little bit, and it gets back on track, working fine. Meander through the streets, and I see one couple that I know from church at the end of their driveway. Mile three is upon me before I know it, split 8:46. Hmm, that urge is getting stronger…next time I see them I gotta stop at the porta potty. Ah, there they are. Wait 20 seconds for one to become available, get ’er done, and back on track. Mile four comes up shortly after that, split 9:22.

Feeling good so far, I decide it’s time to get a gel down. I get it out and have it ready for the next water station. It finally comes up (later than I thought) and I take it in. A couple minutes later mile 5 floats by, 9:11. I love the trees in this neighbourhood, and the temp still feels comfortable. Pass through the first exchange zone for the relay – thickest crowd of the morning so far! The pace feels fine, body feels good. Still in the “party zone” as I was told the first half should feel. Mile 6 comes up, 8:51, right on track.

Back onto Pembina Hwy, which means the half marathon/full marathon split is coming soon. There it is. Head to the left, under the full marathon arch and up onto the overpass to cross Pembina. (Whew, first hill done :lol: ). Down the other side, then another slight uphill to Harrow. Hmmm, the crowd of runners seems much less now! :lol: Mile 7 comes up right away, and the split – 9:08. I’m happy with my times so far, and I’m feeling great. Another water station goes by. I feel strong as I run this long straight-away…mile 8, 9:05…and then run onto Wellington Crescent – ahhh, the rich kids area! Another gel, and look at all the big houses! Start keeping my eye out for DonnaRiggs, I think she said she was marshalling along here…see her at some point not sure if she was before or after mile 10 (split 9:05). Coming up to Assiniboine Park soon, oh, here’s mile 11 (9:00) total time so far of 1:38:49, making an average of 8:59/mile so far. Feeling good, but the heat is starting to build up. I don’t know it, but it is likely already five degrees warmer, or about 24°C.

In the park now. Dipsey doodle around the duck pond, start to wonder where the next water station is…I’m getting thirsty. That can’t be good. Cross the footbridge (mile 12 9:30) and onto Portage Ave.

I hate Portage Ave! No trees, no shade, ugly road. First time today I start to feel the heat strongly. One good point when I see some co-workers about mile 13 (9:20) cheering me on, and there is one water station along here (I thought there was supposed to be three?), but other than that, yuck. But hey, I’m now over half done, and I don’t feel too bad. Yet. (I’m getting there, I’m getting there).

Turn into the Wolseley area, and at least there are trees again. Mile 14 goes by (9:21), and I feel OK. I’m trying to take a little more water in at each station. Then I start to feel it…my quads are feeling a little stiff. Not bad, but I think I’m going to be in trouble. Next water station/relay zone I FORCE myself to take another gel and electrolyte tab (my fourth tab of the day). With the heat, taking that gel was the hardest thing I did. My stomach could not stand the thought of anything aside from liquid. This was the last gel I got down, and we’ll see how that affected me later.

Mile 15 goes by (9:21) and I really start to feel my quads. Still in the nice Wolseley area, but all I’m starting to think about are the stretches I’m not looking forward to. Not a good sign!

Mile 16. Split of 9:58. Quads are on fire. Not cramped, but tight as can be without cramping. That will be my last sub 10 minute mile of the day. I have my first walk break around here. I’m soaking wet from sweat, sponges, showers, dumped water. I’m drinking as much as I can at each stop, and I’m still thristy. I have visions of a death march creeping into my head. Gotta dig down here. I start running again.

Get onto Broadway, pass the Legislature, barely even glance at it. Make my way down to Assiniboine Ave and here comes the mile 17 marker – 10:03. OK, I’m happy considering the pain in my quads. Turn onto Main St and head over the bridges. Here is another area that I decide to hate – no shade, hot concrete…not a good frame of mind here. Another short walk break. Make the turn onto Lyndale Drive, through another aid station (I can’t get enough water in to quench my thirst right now and shortly thereafter is mile 18 (10:18 ). Getting a little slower…but still fighting through. As I run around Lyndale I see two other spectators that I know, one from the band at church that I do sound for and the other is my friend’s dad. Gives me a bit of a boost and I soldier on. Mile 19 goes by (10:10).

Out onto St. Mary’s. I decide to hate this stretch too. Hot now, oh so hot. Let’s see, it’s after 10:00 a.m., so according to The Weather Network it was 26°C (feels like 30°C). :shock: Thirsty all the time. No shade. How far do I have to go? A couple more walk breaks along here. Mile 20 goes by…11:22. Oh my. Is this the wall?

Turn onto a residential street. The final relay zone is in here somewhere. People along here have set up their sprinklers and hoses for the runners. Moments of blessed coolness, but they don’t last long enough. Hot hot hot hot….

Run past mile 21…11:15 split. Resigned to slogging the rest of this thing out. But I’m going to finish. Only another hour to go at this rate. Image

Turn up onto Dunkirk.

It sucks. Image

This is the absolute WORST stretch of the marathon. A half a dozen spectators. No shade. Nothing but me and the road. Mile 22 coming up (11:40 split). Gotta walk. So hot. Can I do this? Can I finish? Doubts are entering my mind.

And then…an angel. KBO (Karen) is there just before the next turn. Having someone I know to talk to for that short walk helps me get the doubts in check. I CAN DO THIS. I WILL FINISH. FOUR MILES TO GO. I start to run again. I completely miss it, but somewhere in this mile I had entered new territory – my longest run ever. My longest training run for this was 22.16 miles. Every step is a victory. When I realize this, I gain new strength. I push on. Through the sprinklers/showers, down St.Vital Rd.

I turn onto River Rd. I’m in what I will now call the final stages. I will do this. So hot. Look, here comes mile 23…and my slowest mile is done (12:59). Somewhere around here I see abhainn and I make an extra effort to “look strong”. I’m so hurting now, but I’m going to do this. Bishop Grandin is coming up. Final push. Damn, that sun is hot. Turn onto Bishop Grandin, and then over the bridge. Hmmm…where’s that mile marker? I never did see it. We’ll just call mile 24 and mile 25 as 11:33 each. It’s about 11:00 a.m. and the hotest part of the monring - 28°C (feels like 32°C). But I’m almst done.

Turn onto Pembina. Here comes University Cres. The last stage Take on more water. Walk a bit. Run some more. Mile 25 (11:33). OK, gotta finish strong. No more walking. Here it goes. Tell myself to ignore my quads. They’ll heal. Eventually. Gotta finish strong. Here comes the turn onto Chancellor. Not far now. The stadium is RIGHT THERE. Pick it up. Mile 26 just outside…and 10:58! Entering the track now…the anouncer says my name and I pump my fist! I’m going to do it…here it comes, the curve around the end of the track…YAY! Some Maniacs cheering me on! Final straight away…Image Image ImageFINISH LINE! Image Image Image

OH MY GOD I HURT!

BUT I DID IT!

I completely forget to stop my watch. There’s Mouse with my medal and a hug. I’m completely drained…I don’t even know if I really feel anything other than my quads. I can’t see Mrs Tater or the Tater Tot in the stands, though later they tell me that they thought that I had waved to them after finishing. Mouse gets Andy, smoosher extordinaire to help me into the infield. Walking hurts. A lot. We get my finisher’s shirt, my bag, and he sets me up in Mouse’s lawn chair (now THAT’S extra special service). Mouse brings me a beer. God bless her. My buddy is there, and he finished just under 4 hours, about 20 minutes slower than last year. I already felt good about my time (whatever it was- I didn’t really know yet), but that really cemented it for me. Under better conditions, I could have been in the ball park for my (non) goal time.

Beer is done, now I gotta find the family. Andy helped, and we eventually spotted them. I got up and hobbled towards the stands, which was right by the medical tent. While Andy helped the Tater Tot down, a medical volunteer was concerned about my shuffle, and recommended a rub down. Put me into a wheel chair and queued me up for the rub down. Got a picture or two with the Tater Tot, who was a little freaked out that daddy was in a wheel chair. Andy took care of her while I got my quads kneaded by a dude named Ricky (Oh Ricky you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!). Once that was done, got the Tater Tot back, hobbled to the infield, relaxed a few more moments, chatted with Andy, got my stuff together, and Andy kindly carried it for me to the exit, where I met up with Mrs Tater for the walk to the car and then the ride home.

Got home, had a cold bath and a hot shower, suffered a bit of heat stroke in the afternoon, hydrated, and once the Tater Tot was asleep, checked FaceBook, and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….

Made it to work, and I’m getting up to walk every 45 minutes. My legs are sore, but I can walk…gingerly.

I AM A MARATHONER!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

All I can think right now is…wait till next year! :twisted:

eta: more dancing bananas!
Last edited by Darth Tater on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I haven't read it yet, but geez that took you long enough :roll:

:wink:

Now to read.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:10 pm

Awesome, good job and great race report. Congratulations!
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Wooohooo!!!

Congrats on a great race in way too hot conditions and a great race report :D.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 pm

You echoed so many of my emotions and feelings when I ran my first marathon (Manitoba) back in 2006. (And darn you for making me get all teary-eyed...AGAIN!)

I hated the same stretches that you did...Portage Avenue SUCKs!...Lyndale drive where my toenail came off, The long St.Mary's stretch, and dastardly Dunkirk...It's a course I love(because it was my first) and hate (because I just do).

I knew you were going to run smart and not do anything to jeopardize this experience. You must be in a great frame of mind if you are already thinking about next year... 8)

I am so proud of you Chris!! I've seen you make all the steps to this point and now you have joined the crazy club that we call Marathoners...A bunch of nutcases I say!!

Well done!!!!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 pm

They don't get any tougher than that. Enjoy the shuffles all week -- you earned it.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Well done!!

Racing in the heat with no time to adapt is tough. You should be proud.

:clap:
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Well Done, it was worth every painful step. Great performance out there. Congratulations
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:You echoed so many of my emotions and feelings when I ran my first marathon (Manitoba) back in 2006. (And darn you for making me get all teary-eyed...AGAIN!)

I hated the same stretches that you did...Portage Avenue SUCKs!...Lyndale drive where my toenail came off, The long St.Mary's stretch, and dastardly Dunkirk...It's a course I love(because it was my first) and hate (because I just do).

+1 on all that. +2 on Lyndale.

Well done Chris, MARATHONER.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Most excellent report Chris and a most excellent FIRST MARATHON!!!

I am so very happy for you :D

Congrats on a great race!
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Why did I read this just as I am training for my first??? :P Just teasing. The end of the story is why I read it. You are a marathoner! Congrats, DT!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:21 pm

Woooo Hooooo Great detailed report and a great race!

Your race sounds almost exactly how mine was in 2005 except for when I threw up in the PP on Dunkirk and the diarrhea in the PP on River and other things that i will not mention.

You hated the exact same spots I hated with the beating sun etc. I know exactly what you went through and you deserve a HUGE Congratulations.

WELL DONE
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Congratulations MARATHONER
I could feel your pain as I was reading and your triumph when you finished! In that heat..Oh My!!
Well done...Tater..or is it Fried Tater, Baked Tater, Boiled Tater..... :wink:
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 pm

AWESOME! Congratulations MARATHONER!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Great report, Chris. Congratulations again.

Sounds a lot like my experience in my first marathon, although I couldn't even blame the heat. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:30 pm

You have done it Chris, in the heat. It is like a huge high, then you need another goal to satisfy all the work you have done.
Take some time to relax and reflect on your huge accomplishment.
Way to go Marathon man.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Phew, your narrative of the finish welled up my eyes.
What an outstanding report, it sure made it feel so real for letting us know what you experienced. I can't imagine how you toughed out that heat with no adaptation... holy toledo.

Although I only did the half last year, I found Bishop Grandin brutal but the finish into the stadium is one of the best race sets up I've ever seen.

Congrats Chris, just absolutely stellar!! :clap:

You're a marathoner!!!!

You need a cool weather full to show your true potential!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Huge congratulations to you Chris! Thanks for sharing your day with us....(like you had any choice!) :wink:
Race Hard. Race Happy.

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Great report and great race. You've really accomplished a lot since you started running. Damn fine results for you too - especially considering the heat you didn't train for.

You've definitely earned the right to hobble up and down stairs for the rest of the week. Enjoy basking in this!
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

clocker
Bill Crothers

Marathon Day

Postby clocker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:44 pm

A fine result Chris. Thanks for sharing your progress and the goals met. An inspiring journey. Think of the possibilities! 8)
Ian
Hostility is a psychic boomerang

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Congratulations DT!!! :dance:
Your report was definitely worth the wait. Those conditions were so tough!!! But you did it, and in VERY respectable time.

You're one special spud Tater!
Happy celebrating Marathon-Man!!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Congrats! That sounds like trying conditions for a marathon, let alone your first. And great that your family could be there for it too.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Super big shout out to you DT! Congrats!!! Nicely done in tough conditions! I love first marathons.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:54 pm

loved the race report Chris! It made me teary a little, I felt I was living it with you =) Major congrats and be proud! You're a marathoner!!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks for the report DT! Nicely done!

It really painted the picture! It defintely went as well as you could have expected given the conditions! - but yeah! Wait till next year!

Very well done for a first marathon! Sorry that, somehow, spring missed the Peg, and it went right from winter to summer! - like in a week!

Oh and BTW, your time - EXACTLY my time in my second marathon! To the second.

Congrats!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “Run/Race Reports”