UltraQueenga PBs at Vulture Bait 50k - trophy shot on pg.2

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

UltraQueenga PBs at Vulture Bait 50k - trophy shot on pg.2

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Yesterday I ran my little heart out.
Vulture Bait was the last race of the Ontario Ultra Series and it turned out to be a glorious sunny day. The drive to the race was a bit stressful as we almost ran out of gas and then we drove past the entrance to the park. Argh! This was our first time at the Vulture Bait and we were expecting to see better signage to Fanshawe Conservation Area. Oh well. Got to the start, picked up our bibs and chips and race kits (nice loot bag!) This race is a very well run event!

I had a good pre-race, had good breakfast, coffee and was well hydrated. No bowel issues, everything felt good and I was feeling great about this race. I had no particular time goal, just hoped to run as fast and as well as I can. I wanted to run a great series finale, leave almost nothing on the course.

I started out fast, running behind a few speedy ultra runners. It was a mass start, not sure where I was in the pack, but I was glad it was moving well. The first section was busy, but then things started to settle and the trails became more roomy, if you can say that about trails. I was wearing my long sleeve black compression shirt with my blue tank top on and black tights. It was cool at the start, but then it warmed up and at times I was just hot and sweating too much. Definitely could have run in shorts and one long sleeve. I ended up popping 3 electrolyte pills all in all and drank mostly Heed. I passed a lot of runners on my first lap, caught doonst near the finish of his 25k. I ran my first loop in 2:20 and I knew my second lap would be slower and tougher.

I was running on the heels of a fast ultra guy, followed him. Somewhere around km 27-28 we went off course about 200 m, ran out of flags, so we had to retrace out steps to the last flag. We added about half a km or 2-3 minutes. Oh well. Meanwhile another pack of runners caught us and we ran in a group for a little while till the first aid station. I walked that hill and had the last of my 3 salt pills and ate a gel, then went on chasing some runners ahead of me.

This course is a mix of a bit of gravel roads, a bit of paved stuff, some grassy areas and nice crunchy trails with a timid roll. I loved the forest bits, ran every hill and never once tripped or fell. (I stepped funny once, but it's not swollen or hurting, so it doesn't count. :lol: ) There was a nasty rocky downhill, but very short. The paved road sections were tedious and slow for me. I was trying to run them as fast as possible just to get to the next bit of trail. The last 10 km were tough, especially the last 3k where my hamstrings were threatening mutiny and were about to cramp on me. I wish I had one extra salt pill in this race. Dang! The viking caught me with 2k to go and wanted to help me to the finish, but I asked him to go ahead and let me stay focused on keeping my cramps at bay. I also had this weird side-stitch that may have been the combined result of slight dehydration, electrolyte depletion and too many gels (6 or 7 in total).

This is the fastest I've ever run a 50k trail race (5:33 at Toad 2 weeks ago). I finished in 4:57:38, fifth female and took home a really cheesy trophy of a turkey. :lol: Best of all, I ran hard, ran every hill, except 2 on my last lap while trying to pop a salt pill and eat/drink. I made little or no stops except to refill my handheld at the aid stations and grab a handful of peanut M&Ms, pretzels or chips. I ran mostly on gels and hated it, but they are quick and easy fuel to handle. I finished slightly dizzy and sick, but recovered a little later and enjoyed the post-race lunch and award ceremony. The viking and I took home some awards from the Ontario Ultra Series. 2009 was a busy year.

It was great to meet up with maniacs and friends at Vulture Bait! Saw NatureGirl who toughed it out to the finish battling injuries and a cold, rabidchipmunk took photos and provided sound effects for that evil rocky downhill section :twisted: , mini-t provided post-race cider to the viking and I (much appreciated), westgreyrunner was looking happy and content with his race. Another fine day for trail running! The series ended, but we've still got a few races left this year and are already making plans for the cold dark season.
Last edited by UltraQueenga on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultrarunner again

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: UltraQueenga PBs at Vulture Bait 50k

Postby ian » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Some people run fast races, some people run long races, and apparently you've decided that you want to do both. Not that you didn't earn that option with your training and positive attitude...

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Wow UQ.

Once again you amaze me!

You just keep getting stronger and stronger!

Congrats on a superb race!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh Kinga you are too modest! That is such an awesome result, I sure saw your focus and resolve as you passed me. I think I know the huge OUSer awards you speak of, but if you do';t want to mention it I'll just PM every member personally. So impressed!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Amazing result! I'm simply in awe.

50K of trails in under 5 hours? Incredible.

Sounds like you ran a perfect race. Congratulations!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:46 pm

What a time! Cool...you put everything in.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Congratulations, Kinga, on another great race and season ... :P And, what an awesome prize, 'Bringin' Home the Turkey ... " :drool: :P :wink: So, was/is the turkey alive ?? :shifty: :shock: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:08 pm

HCmD wrote:Congratulations, Kinga, on another great race and season ... :P And, what an awesome prize, 'Bringin' Home the Turkey ... " :drool: :P :wink: So, was/is the turkey alive ?? :shifty: :shock: :wink:

:lol: When I said 'cheesy' I meant tacky. But I'm proud of the tacky turkey because I ran so hard. Seriously, that race hurt.

The award doonst is talking about is 2nd place for Female Under 40 in the Ultra Series. And they also gave us a Norm Patenaude award for running 7 or more races in the series. It was a busy year especially because I had won a free entry to all the races and took advantage of it. This year I ran some races for the first time (ITT, Vulture) and truly hope to run them next year, too. We have an awesome ultra and trail series in this province and I feel blessed to be able to run most of them.
Ultrarunner again

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:36 pm

:shock: WOW UQ, that is some speedy trail running there. Congrats.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Great job Kinga, sure puts my measly marathon to shame. You are a rock, girl.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:04 pm

You rock, Kinga!!!

Congratulations!!! :D

Garrett
Tom Longboat

Postby Garrett » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Wow! Very impressive! Congratulations on a great time!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Holy crap! Great job!! That is some sick running.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Congratualtions again Kinga! So awesome. What a great way to end the OUSer.

re: signage. horrible, I agree.

HCmD wrote: And, what an awesome prize, 'Bringin' Home the Turkey ... " :drool: :P :wink: So, was/is the turkey alive ?? :shifty: :shock: :wink:

I totally thought she meant a real turkey. I asked her "Where is it? In your backpack?" :lol:

Last thing: How/where/what/why did you win free entry into the races?
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:55 pm

UQ, you are my freakin' hero! I do hope to meet you next year somewhere! (I think I might add that to my 2010 goals!)
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:02 am

It’s been allot of fun chasing you throughout the year. Congratulations on an amazing series wrap up!

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:11 am

Freakin' awesome UltraQueenga. What a great way to wrap up the OUS season. Looks like you and the Viking have had a stellar year on the trails. Congratulations! Image

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 am

Sounds like a great race and an awesome season!

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:42 am

Kinga, congratulations on a great race and an amazing season!

Stupendous!!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:53 pm

simply incredible! congratulations!!!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

You just keep getting more awesome. Congratulations on a spectacular season, Kinga!
BG

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:09 pm

Super effort--GREAT JOB!!!! Congrats Kinga!! :D :D
Louise

ilee
Tom Longboat

Postby ilee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Wow! Wow! Wow!

UQ rocks the race and brings home the turkey!

Simply amazing. I'm in awe.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm

After 25k I certainly wasn't thinking "boy I'd like to do another lap!" :) 50k blows me away, and your time is just amazing.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:26 pm

I didn't know what to say on Saturday, when I totally missed both your & The Vikings finish :oops: and I still don't know what to say other than AWESOME WORK!

It's been a pleasure to follow you around the trails this past season. The two of you are such incredible ambassadors to the series and the sport. You even make us crazy triathlon people (your words not mine! ;) ) think that an ultra is one day possible!

See you at Horror Hill! :twisted:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”