Boston Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Kimdawg
Tom Longboat

Boston Report

Postby Kimdawg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:03 pm

I had a great time in Boston and thought I'd share my race day experience with you.

I was running with 2 of my friends and we weren't sure if we were going to stay together or run our own paces but we all had a 4 hour goal on our minds. I ran it in 2008 and finished with a time of 4:00:45 so felt that it was a realistic goal.

I felt it was doable again because I believe that I went into this race in the best physical shape I’ve been in in years. I trained really well for this marathon as I knew it was going to be my last (I have chronic kidney failure and the long runs really seem to knock my electrolyte balance out of whack).

Right from the beginning, I knew something wasn't right. I had been experiencing a weird "knot" in my stomach for a few days and wrote it off to nerves. I guess it wasn't.

Somewhere around 10k, I lost one of the girls and then shortly after that, my other friend decided she was going to see what she had and took off. I started to panic a little inside because I wasn't sure what the heck was happening with my feet and legs and then out of nowhere, my friend that I lost finds me!! I can't tell you how happy I was to see her!

I had some serious electrolyte issues from the 12k mark on. I started cramping in my toes and soon it was in my calves. I’ve never experienced anything like it before. I was dizzy and felt like I was going to throw up most of the race. I didn’t cramp when I walked but as soon as a ran for a couple of minutes, the cramping came back. It was like I had little aliens in my calves!!

I kept telling my friend to go ahead as she was feeling good and I could tell she was holding back but she wouldn't hear of it. Someone gave me a couple of salt packets and although the cramping didn't stop, it didn't get any worse. So we muddled through the next 15k or so, taking in all the support the crowds had to offer. Crossing that finish line with my friend, was one of the best feelings ever. She totally gave up her time goal for me and says she would do it all over again just to cross the finish line together; how do I ever thank her for that????

I said it in 2008 but I have to say it again, the spectators at Boston are simply the best. They make you think they are out there just for you. Whether it's the 5 year old kid waiting to high-5 you or the drunken college kids wanting the fist pump, they make you want to keep going. When they look you deep in the eyes and tell you that you can do it, you have to believe them!

I feel great today, only a little tightness in the quads but you’d never know I just ran the Boston Marathon. I’m going to take a few days off from running, and am seriously considering signing up for the Mississauga half (after I check in with my doctor for some bloodwork tomorrow).

Thanks for taking the time to read my report.

*I believe our finishing time was 4:18:54

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Re: Boston Report

Postby tri princess » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't feel well for your race. That's a long way to go when you aren't at your best!

Congratulations for making it to Boston in the first place, though, and for pulling off a really nice time in spite of it all!

...and your friend is amazing! What terrific support you had!
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 pm

That did not sound like a fun day with the cramps. I hope you are feeling better now. Still a very decent time considering!

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:48 pm

You are my hero!! It takes a lot of guts to keep going when your calves are cramping (I love your description of the cramps as little aliens!!)

YOu're so right about the crowds at the Boston marathon. THey are simply the most amazing and supportive spectators and truly send out fantastic vibes. I think it's almost a good enough reason to try to qualify again!

So happy you found your friend - a true friend indeed! - and that you made it across that finish line together! WoW!

Good luck with your health. Though this may have been your last Boston, I'm sure you'll cherish it all the more for that reason. :)

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Great race. I am very impressed that you struggled through and finished in a still respectable time. The fact that your friend stuck with you is fabulous. Friends like that - PRICELESS!!!

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Fantastic report! I know exactly what you mean about the crowds - when they shouted "run Ray run" I really felt like they knew and cared about me.

You did a great job toughing it out and making it to that finish line - I hope you find out how to avoid that the next time.

Godspeed!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 pm

crazy race, glad you ended it on a positive note. What a great last marathon race too

Congrats!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Wow... I am so glad you pulled it off with your friend beside you, huge congrats!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:23 am

Robbie-T wrote:crazy race, glad you ended it on a positive note. What a great last marathon race too

Just what I was thinking - if you have to run your last, making Boston it, is the BEST. Way to be tough. Love the Boston Crowds. Enjoy the recovery.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 am

Well done! Glad you had the experience you were hoping for!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:41 am

Seems you made the best of it on a tough day. Great experience!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 am

You are one tough cookie! Congratulations on toughing it out and getting to the finish line in such a respectable time. Great to know you have a friend like that too. Good luck for the future...
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Great job out there!! Congratulations to you and your wonderful friend!!! Good luck with your bloodwork and the 1/2, and thanks for the report.
Louise

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 am

Sorry it was a tough race, but congrats on finishing. That's a great time I think.

Kimdawg
Tom Longboat

Postby Kimdawg » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone.

militarybrat
Johnny Miles

Postby militarybrat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Wow, what a day you had - congratulations on your accomplishment!
2010 Goals:
stay injury free...
Toronto Goodlife Marathon

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Congrats on running another Boston. Too bad about the cramps. But your health should be your priority.
Good luck.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Hermes wrote:You are my hero!! It takes a lot of guts to keep going when your calves are cramping (I love your description of the cramps as little aliens!!)

YOu're so right about the crowds at the Boston marathon. THey are simply the most amazing and supportive spectators and truly send out fantastic vibes. I think it's almost a good enough reason to try to qualify again!

So happy you found your friend - a true friend indeed! - and that you made it across that finish line together! WoW!

Good luck with your health. Though this may have been your last Boston, I'm sure you'll cherish it all the more for that reason. :)

+1 :D

Kimdawg
Tom Longboat

Postby Kimdawg » Thu May 27, 2010 6:46 am

Thanks everyone!

Good news, about 10 days after Boston I had some bloodwork done. My GFR (kidney function) is the best it's been in years, but my magnesium was quite low. I'm pretty sure that was the cause of the cramping. I've been taking a supplement and will have my bloodwork done again in a couple of weeks just to check things out again.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”