Fergus Highland Games 10k (long)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
pts
Lynn Williams

Fergus Highland Games 10k (long)

Postby pts » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:28 pm

This afternoon I was a person pace bunny for my little sisters first 10k race, the Fergus Highland Games, and here is the report of our race.

We woke up to lotsa rain, and my sis did not have running gear for the rain, so i lent her my running jacket, and made do with a new zip up top I had gotten on friday (not waterproof, but good enough). We got to the race a little late, and by the time we had cleared the porta potty's we were kinda late :shock: We reached the start as the gun went off, so no time to get nervous/excited. For the first 2k we were at the very back of the pack (literally, the last 2), but my sister wanted it slow and easy- good for her to pace so well. The course was GORGEOUS despite the rain, and the volunteers friendly. Little sis only wanted to walk 3 times the whole run, and was fairly strong all the way to 8k. At 8 she hit a bit of a low, and so was another first time runner (hailey??). So, I invited her to join, and since I was FULL OF ENERGY, I cheered and talked their ears off until the end. Pipers piped us in at the end. My sister's goal time- 1:10, final time 1:07:30 :D She did soooo great, and I learned 2 valauble lessons: running a race nice and slow and enjoying it is just as fun as trying to PB, and starting off slow gives you way more energy at the end (ie. I should pace my 1/2 mary at my sisters 10k pace!). I will definately be back to Fergus next year, but maybe try a sub 1 hour PB :? My regular running partner joined the sub 1hr club today at the run too- woohoo! I keep kidding her that she is now too fast for me!

Oh, and the HIghland games afterwards were so cool! The Strongman competition was great!

Erin :D

Edit to add: Cant forget that big sister was doing a triathalon that day, her first 1/2 ironman is in 2 weeks! My sisters rock :D

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:45 pm

Nice going Erin. Bringing in your sister under goal time means you were a good bunny!

By the way, being a pace bunny gets you bonus points in the club contest, so check it out and submit your points...

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:58 pm

Way to go Erin, I was looking for you and your sister but I didn't see anyone that matched your description. We also sat and watched the Heavy Events, and the Massed bands in the rain too, it was a great day. I'll post my report tomorrow.....
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Return to “Run/Race Reports”