AirForceRunner @ 5Peaks Camp Fortune

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:28 am

Warning: This is not going to be a happy race report. It may be riddled with anger, frustration....all very 'non-inspirational' stuff.

I decided to run this race roughly 14 hours before start time. After a slew of missed opportunities (Simply Fit 5 km barefoot attempt, Xerox 10 k, Ottawa Speed session), it had been a frustrating week running-wise. I mentioned to my wife that I was going to attempt to return to Barrie from Ottawa and try to get into either ITT or Midsummer's. She had suggested I try the 5 Peaks race, but I had only brought VFFs and racing flats with me. Trail Child had assured me that neither would be sufficient, given the rocky nature of the course. My wife then suggested I buy shoes for the race (umm...what? :D ). An hour later, with a new pair of La Sportiva Crosslites under my arm, the decision was made. 5 Peaks it is.
I signed up the next morning at the race location, looking forward to a new piece of 5 Peaks shwag, only to be handed what looks like deodorant. The shwag was a stick of muscle rub. :evil: :evil: Some may find this cheeky and unique....for $50, I felt ripped off. (Sorry Mke.) Oh well.
The race starts, and its immediately a subtle climb. I took off relaxed, knowing that with Haliburton fast approaching, I needed to be careful. After about 800 metres, we head back down to level ground. This is where it goes bad. It was wet, the trails going down were much steeper than going up. I was probably following too close, and given the wet rocky trail, it was very difficult to slow down without slipping. Translation: i was running blind, downhill, on wet rocks out of control. This all led to a very bad foot placement. I landed (or so it seems) on the front side of a large rock. Instead of bounding off of it, my foot slid backwards, my knee (the good one) hyper-extended backwards, and it felt as though my toes were forced up into my shins. The pain was immediate....my achilles was screaming. I immediately stepped off the trail, and watched as what felt like a thousand people go running by. Angry and frustrated, I jumped into an opening, and tried to resume. I stepped off again, knowing I was holding people up. Repeat this a few times. I covered abut a km like this, but my run was growing into more of a hobble, heavy striking on my right foot while barely making contact with the left. How long could I keep this up...surely not for 12 km. And with Haliburton in 3 weeks, was it even worth it? The seed was planted. Along a straight stretch, I heard voices above me. That's when I saw to my right a merciless section of switchbacks climbing unrelentingly UPWARDS. I stopped, ripped off my bib, and looked for the most direct route down the hill. A couple of MTBers helped me out. I flashed my number to the timing guys, and told them the 3 most painful letters.....'DNF'. First one in 45 races.

I got in the car, and as I drove, I dreaded getting back and having to explain to my son that not only did I not have a medal for him, but that I didn't even finish the race. I tried to tell him 'You know how daddy always tells you to never give up? Well, sometimes, if you're hurt, its OK to give up." This advice is probably true, but I felt like I was lying to him. I'm not challenging anyone else who believes stepping off when hurt is OK. My beliefs are my own. But DNFing just plain SUCKS!!
Lessons learned from this race. Perhaps in time, I'll come to accept that DNFing was the right thing to do. I quit because of Haliburton....no other reason. I ran a half marathon very shortly after destroying my knee....I've run with worse pain. But there is the rub. I've vested so much of myself into one race that its making me make decisions I otherwise would not make. I've always been a 'run and race like its your last' kinda guy. No science, no schedules....just GO. Twice I have vested myself into specific races, put them on a pedestal if you will. PEC...which I could not run due to the aforementioned knee, and now this. I'm done with aiming for races. I'm going back to running by feel, going back to picking races by coin flip....going back to running in the now.
The achilles....when I sit for extended periods, it goes numb, along with my heel. When I stand and walk, it hurts. Will I run Haliburton..yes. Fast or slow, I'll take what it gives me.

On the plus side...yes, there is one...the Crosslites are an outstanding shoe. Nice and minimal, good protection....like an extension of your foot. I just wish I'd bought them sooner.
Sorry for the vent, but I had to get it out.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: AirForceRunner @ 5Peaks Camp Fortune

Postby eme » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 am

Yup, DNF'ing sucks big time! Done it, still don't like it.

Life does go on. Heal up and then have run racing, whatever way you find it fun.

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Postby SteveF » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:28 am

Dude that sucks. It was a race I was aiming for but just haven't had the motivation lately. I ran the course in practice (and in VFFs, you were wise not to) and its unforgiving when dry. I can't imagine it wet. It sucks about your knee/achilles. I know where your head is at about putting races on a pedestal. Makes running just for running tough when you get too goal oriented.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:42 am

Ouch. That's the good and the bad of big "A" goals. They cost a lot in many ways. Anyways I'm much more worried about your knee than a DNF. Get well soon!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 am

Doonst wrote:Ouch. That's the good and the bad of big "A" goals. They cost a lot in many ways. Anyways I'm much more worried about your knee than a DNF. Get well soon!

The knee is a non-issue. Its the achilles.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 am

That sucks. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience yesterday. The course was pretty slippery. Hope you can recover from your injury soon.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:37 pm

From one gimpy leg to another, Ugh.

I hope it is not as bad as it seems; if it is, take the time you need.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:04 pm

AFR , sorry to hear about getting hurt. I doubt that there isn't anyone doing trails that hasn't run into some sort of trouble with the challenging conditions. Unfortunately your number was up that day and well you did the right thing stopping. I do recognize that the DNF sucks but there is always next time so don't sweat it. Now on the recovery side of things .... don't push it OK??? Your are a tough dude and if I recall your history on this board you do have a tendency to jump back into it too soon. A few days off is no big deal and it certainly won't hurt you Haliburton goals!

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Yup, that's WAY more than just ego.

Geez Rick, I am sorry. It sucks to feel like you failed at something (which you didn't by the way, you recognized that you were injured).

All I can tell you is that you continue to be an inspiration, even now (maybe more than ever). In the meantime, heal thyself!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby flexrun » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Rick, for what its worth, I feel you did the 100% right thing in this race. If you had of given up because you were tired or out of breath or something, then you would have a good reason to be hard on yourself and I would have told you to suck it up, but in this case its all about being smart and not making your injury worse. Tell your son what happened and why you stopped and he will understand. I am a firm believer in listening to your body and that's exactly what you did. Having said that I can understand how frustrated you must feel right now and I hope you get better quickly.
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:05 am

When your wife suggests that you buy new gear, no matter what else happened in the race, it was a winning scenario.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 am

I know exactly how you feel, only ITT was my A race so I 'had' to finish it.
Your beliefs are your own, you only need to justify them to you, I respect that.

Heal fast Bro!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 am

Sucks about your ankle but hopefully it heals well before Haliburton.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”