The how to run a race stupid

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
ROW
Bill Crothers

The how to run a race stupid

Postby ROW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Gun time: 21:23, Chip time: 21:13
Splits: 3:40, 3:49, *4:25, *4:24, *4:53

So we drove up this morning on a bus. It was a nice ride. For breakfast I had chocolate chip pancakes and a apple. The pancakes 4 hours before and the apple 2 hours before.

I started warming up around 8:10. Got in a good warm up. 5 minutes ez jog, 5 minutes steady, 2 minutes in the flats steady.

I stripped down at the start line. Well my adidas sweater. I just left it in a corner. Did some drills and long strides at race pace. I lined up with 5ish minutes to go.

Remember, when you want to run a race stupid you want to start at the back when your expecting a sub 20 race and start out too quick. I couldn't get to the front which really sucked. We started. Once we got to the line I tried to take off. Didn't happen. The people infront of me were pretty much walking. I tried my best and I finally got around everyone. So if anyone saw a guy in tights and a white singlet passing 50 people in the first k. That was me. I'm stupid.

So after the first 100m, I was pissed off. I settled into a pace that felt good at the time, but lots of adreniline was running. And I guess that makes me run a 3:25-30 pace for the first k. Hit the k in 3:40. So I ran my current 1500 race pace for 900 meters. Great. Not much happened. Hit the second k in 7:29. 3:49 second k. I felt slightly tired at 2k. Somehow at 2.5k I was done. My pace slowed a lot. I almost walked with 2k to go but I saw some people from RM with signs and that motivated me to keep running. Unfortunatley I walked in the last k. I was mad about that. I need to learn to HTFU. Sprinted the last 300 in. And that is how to run a stupid race.

I learned a lot today. I need to learn what the pace feels like that I should start out. I KNOW I am 19 low shape right now. No doubt about it. I was stupid this race. I should have been more calm at the start. I have run for retina in 2 weeks. I'm thinking that will go well.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Re: The how to run a race stupid

Postby richie-rich » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm

i wonder how much was mental? you know you can run sub 20. your training says you can run sub 20. maybe you tried too hard to overcome starting from the back. in small races you can do this as there is more room to weave around people. at a race like ATB you're screwed.

i learn something from every race. when i have it all figured out i'll write a book :mrgreen: until then, keep trying. you're faster than 21:13. today wasn't your day. it happens.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:24 pm

thanks for the tips! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Tough race ROW, but good thoughts and tips.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Ouch tough day. I echo soomebody elses comment about starting correls. In any event the leson you learned today is you are fast and not everybody is and you belong at the front.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Tough day to be sure but lots to learn from.
You'll run smarter next race!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Tough day, but you learned something out there. Well done.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:18 pm

ok I have no sympathy for you, Dude, come on you have been running long enough to know what your pace should be to run a solid race.
Take your goal divide by 5, run that pace for 4k then run harder as you can in the final one. Come on man!!

You will run fast times once you learn to THINK in races, you got potential.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:28 pm

It's all about race strategy and race management, dude ... Plan your race and race your plan ...
Take your lessons learned today, Steve, and take it into your next race ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:57 pm

You analyzed your race well, I will check in two week to see if you were able to execute the one well :)
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Some days are just better than others ROW. Don’t sweat it , better runs are ahead.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:44 am

You'll get it next time.

A good rule of thumb is to look at prior year results to determine where you need to put yourself in the starting queue.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:02 am

I am pretty sure I was running behind you when you took your first walking steps at about 2.5 k and I was surprised because from my point of view your running looked fine, not like someone who was cramping, limping or breathing hard. So it must have been something internal that shut you down.

There are 'problems' at the start of every race so you've got to anticipate that you'll be ready to lay down a 3:40 split or have the discipline not to. This start must have been like your cross-country races - lots of runners of varying ability sprinting to the first corner - so you've done this before. I am not sure being closer to the front would've helped since those guys were going sub-3:00 splits. In any case, while you may 'know' you are in physical shape to go '19-low' your are not in that kind of race shape until you actually do it in a race. Having the mental ability to be disciplined when required and to dig deep into some very uncomfortable places is just as big a part of racing as the physical foundation. Putting them together is what will lead to a great race.
Good luck in two weeks!

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:36 am

Robbie-T wrote:ok I have no sympathy for you, Dude, come on you have been running long enough to know what your pace should be to run a solid race.
Take your goal divide by 5, run that pace for 4k then run harder as you can in the final one. Come on man!!

This.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 am

Mark. wrote:
Robbie-T wrote:ok I have no sympathy for you, Dude, come on you have been running long enough to know what your pace should be to run a solid race.

This.

I'll get it next time.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:44 am

JSmitty wrote:Tough race ROW, but good thoughts and tips.

+1

The only true failure is the failure to learn.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:48 am

ROW wrote:
Mark. wrote:

This.

I'll get it next time.

I know you will ;), I'm looking forward to reading that race report.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 am

More than anything you need to look at your training and see where you are going wrong.
You are 16 and at that age you should be able to take minutes off your longer race pb's by playing video games.
If your performance is regressing dramatically then something is very wrong.
You need to learn how to run race distances at a high sustained effort with smart pacing before you take the show on the road. You NEVER practice that and you hardly ever race.
Do a 5km TT all by yourself and you will know much more accurately what to expect in a race.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 am

Well, it often seems we all only learn things the hard way. Thanks for your honesty here, and don't beat yourself up too much. You learned a lot, and that counts!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:47 am

Pat Menzies wrote:Do a 5km TT all by yourself and you will know much more accurately what to expect in a race.

Wise advice. I would also recommend, once the weather gets better, doing some of your tempo runs on an outdoor track so that you can practice getting into an even rhythm at a comfortably hard pace. A 5K tempo (with some warmup and cooldown) is a nice little workout, and it would certainly boost your confidence to run, say, 20:30 with a couple more gears in reserve.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Each race is an experience.

Clearly your splits indicate wrong pacing. Try a 4 minute pace for your first K next time out, and then rev it up. Seems like you got the motor running too fast, too soon.

Perhaps the goal in your next 5k shouldn't be your finish time but hitting your 3k split at 12 minutes or your 2k at 8 mins.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 pm

canalrunner wrote:Each race is an experience.

Clearly your splits indicate wrong pacing. Try a 4 minute pace for your first K next time out, and then rev it up. Seems like you got the motor running too fast, too soon.

Perhaps the goal in your next 5k shouldn't be your finish time but hitting your 3k split at 12 minutes or your 2k at 8 mins.
I'm going to try even splits next year, maybe the first k slightly faster then 4:00 though, that is way to relaxed. More like 3:48-3:50ish.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Your actual best time I believe is outside 20 minutes so 4:;00 for the first km is just right despite you feeling that it's way too relaxed. Why not save that 3:50 for the last km if you still have it in you at that point?
In a typical road race there is zero upside to going out even slightly too fast.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

ROW wrote:
canalrunner wrote:Each race is an experience.

I'm going to try even splits next year, maybe the first k slightly faster then 4:00 though, that is way to relaxed. More like 3:48-3:50ish.

Your PB is 19:50 so run 4min even splits and do your 3:48 in the final k and you have a PB. I agree with Pat and Robbie this is about pacing. Wouldn't try to bank much in your first K as the problem seems to be you are banking way too much. Humour us old guys and run a nice calm, controlled first couple of k's and then let it rip. Whatever way you do the 5k, it is going to hurt and be hard, if you are maxing out. It is the race, I hate the most for that reason.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 pm

I can't add anything useful to this...except to tell you that you're fortunate that so many experienced runners on RM want to help you out!! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Run/Race Reports”