mas_runner is a MARATHONER!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 30, 2011 9:06 am

Short report: Ran my first marathon, was awesome, finished in 3:55:22

Very very long report:

This is my attempt to put into words the experience I had at the Ottawa Marathon. My whole training year had been geared towards this race, to complete a marathon was my goal at the start of the year and as my training progressed and I ran a personal best 1:44:24 in a half marathon race, I set myself the target of running the marathon in under 4 hours.

My training went pretty well, I didn’t hit the weekly mileage targets I had set myself and had a bit of a lull in the middle of the program but I felt that I had done as much as I could do with what was a pretty demanding program for me (in terms of time and recovery).

The weather forecasts were calling for a warm and humid day with rain and possible thundershowers, and as the big day dawned it was in fact a little warm, but nothing too out of the ordinary for Ottawa in May. I breakfasted on oatmeal and made sure to down plenty of water in preparation. I had been nervous for the past few days but now that it was race day, I felt calm, ready, happy, and excited.

A quick drive downtown, I found a decent parking space in the Byward Market and walked to the start area, chatting with another first-time marathon hopeful on the way, she seemed happy with the way the weather had turned out, even though a few drops of rain were starting to fall.

Then it was off to the portapotties and as I was getting ready for my warm up I spotted Sylvie (Orleansrunner), she was testing a sore foot and getting ready to try and qualify for the Boston Marathon, we ran together and chatted a bit, she gave me some great words of encouragement before she went off to find some of her other friends.

I made my race plan some days before the race. I had never raced over 21.1 kms before and had never even run over 30 kms so I went with a cautious approach. I decided to run each 5 km in around 27 minutes and keep checking how I was feeling (legs, lungs, head), take gels every 7 km and water as needed from my fuel belt until I run out, then take it from the water stations, then I would try hang on and fight the inevitable fade as fatigue set in.

I lined up in the yellow corral and soon we were off. It seemed like a really slow start but I quickly got into my pace, I was fearful of getting carried away with the excitement and kept telling myself, “easy, take it nice and easy”. I ran for a bit behind a blind guy with his guide through China town and then all the way down Preston Street and Little Italy. The pace felt good, and as we turned up Sherwood and onto Fairmont it dawned on me I was running my first marathon.

1 - 5:29
2 - 5:22
3 - 5:13
4 - 5:26
5 - 5:22
26:52 (5:22 average)

Bang on pace for the first 5 km and I was feeling really good, so I upped the pace ever so slightly (again cautious of going out too hard). I saw the runningmania.com cheering squad at 7 km so that definitely gave me a boost as they called out to me as I went by. Took my first gel and soon enough I had hit the 10 km mat in 53:19 and I was feeling really fresh and focused on the task in hand.

6 5:24
7 5:18
8 5:13
9 5:17
10 5:15
26:27 (5:17 average)
10 km split: 53:19

The route along the River Parkway had the first few hills of the route, I decided not to try and maintain my pace, but keep the same effort level as in the previous kms. Apart from a tent with loud music blaring out, the Parkway was pretty quiet until we turned to head across the Chaudière Bridge and into Gatineau where a good crowd had gathered. I took gel number 2 and headed up the hill.

11 5:29
12 5:23
13 5:23
14 5:11
15 5:25
26:51 (5:22 average)

A few ups and downs in Gatineau, always wary of the holes in the road, I kept on pace and was still feeling great. Soon enough we were heading up and onto the Alexandra Bridge and back into Ottawa. I was dreading the climb off the bridge and past the art gallery, but the crowd support was awesome and I tacked it with no real problems, coming around the corner and past the Royal Canadian Mint, I saw and absolutely amazing sight. The leaders were heading back towards the Rideau Canal, a pack of about 8-10 Africans striding gracefully towards the 31 km marker (I was at 18 kms), they looked so calm, so focused, and so in control, that everyone in the pack I was running in started to clap and whoop at them, it was amazing to see some of the best distance runners in the world close up in the heat of a big race. Then it was time to get my mind back on the race as we headed up a steep hill into Rockcliffe, lots of other runners were walking the hill, but I decided to drop the pace ever so slightly but keep the legs moving and stay on pace for this 5 km segment.

16 5:20
17 5:23
18 5:20
19 5:19
20 5:33
26:55 (5:23 average)

Coming up the next hill, I could see the “halfway point” banner and mat ahead and a quick check of the Garmin showed me I was executing my plan really well. I thought then crossed my mind, “I have to do this all again”, I quickly shook it off and focused instead on completing my 5 km segment, “just keep it going to 25, keep moving to 25”. On reflection, this part of the course was the toughest; it was mostly uphill with very little crowd support and a very slight headwind. It was at 23 kms that I started to feel the first signs of fatigue (my groin muscles were starting to complain) and maybe just a little doubt. In planning my race I had thought of 2 key words that might help, “TRUST” and “BELIEVE”, trust your training, and believe in your abilities. Whenever I felt doubt I would repeat these words to myself and just keep running.

21 5:28 halfway split 1:53:23
22 5:16
23 5:36
24 5:33
25 5:37
27:30 (5:30 average)

Coming back down towards Vanier, the crowds were better. I got a real boost from them and was enjoying the support. I read every sign I saw on the race course, some of them were really funny so it was hard not to burst out laughing. I had told myself that whatever the result, to take it all in, enjoy it, look around, smile, and I think this really helped me in the difficult parts of the race. My pace had slowed, I was well aware of it, so I decided not to force myself to do the 27 minute 5 kms anymore and just keep my form good and keep running. I have various screens set on my Garmin, one of them is current lap pace (lap every km) so at this point I told myself just to stay under 5:40. I hit the 30 km mat in 2:42:56 and it dawned on me that every step I took beyond that point was my longest ever run.

26 5:34
27 5:27
28 5:34
29 5:35
30 5:39
27:49 (5:34 average)
30 km split: 2:42:56

“32 kms of hope, 10 kms of truth” is what they say about marathons, as went under the Mackenzie King Bridge I was entering the kms of truth, the kms that would determine whether I finished the race under 4 hours or not, or whether I finished the race at all. Again my pace had dropped, I was getting really tired and sore in the quads and my groin muscles were now on fire. The rain started to fall again but I was soaked through anyway from the squeezing the sponges over my head that the volunteers were giving out along the way. I took my final gel at 35 kms and it was everything I could do to get it down, it was my fifth of the race and I was pretty sick of them, although they had done their job, I had had no gastrointestinal problems, no cramps and hadn’t hit the wall.

31 5:42
32 5:40
33 5:42
34 5:48
35 5:52
28:44 (5:45 average)

All I could think about at this point was my family they were waiting to cheer me on Lakeside Avenue (37-38 km point). They were waiting what was now pouring rain, I didn’t want to let them down, I didn’t want to let myself down, I was now digging deep, my pace had dropped again, but I was still running and the kms were clicking by. I had been just behind the 3:50 (run/walk) pace bunny and his group for a while, they’d pull ahead of me and then I’d catch them while they were walking, they were starting to drop me, a guy at the side of the road called my name (he read it off my bib), “Mark! That’s the 3:50 bunny, don’t you dare let him out of your sight, you’ve got this!”. It was a great boost and even though I didn’t catch the bunny it helped me keep on running, pushing as hard as my legs would let me, my family were close, I was going to finish this marathon.

Then I saw my wife, with my children in the chariot, they were soaked but went crazy cheering me on and I left them with the words “GO PAPA GO!!!” ringing in my ears. Down onto Queen Elizabeth drive, it was now or never, I had to keep on going, I hadn’t taken a single walk break and I told myself, “you’re running this one to the finish, you can walk when you get past the finish line”.

36 5:57
37 5:54
38 5:55
39 6:05
40 6:07
29:58 (6:00 average)

Two and a bit kms to go, my “trust” and “believe” weren’t working anymore, I just focused on the fact that I knew this portion of the course really well, I used to run here almost every lunch time when I worked downtown. I set myself little targets, “get to Pretoria Bridge”, “get to Corkstown Bridge”, I started to sniff the finish line and was actually speeding up. I had no real sense if sub 4 hours was still on, I couldn’t do the math in my head, it was just too much effort, I kept expecting the 4 hour bunny to stride past me, I resisted the urge to look behind me and just ran as hard as I could through the massive puddles that had formed and barreled towards the finish, urging myself “COME ON!”.

Then I saw it, the finish line, and gave every last ounce of energy I had, I had to dodge a guy who had lost control of his legs and was swaying around like a punch-drunk boxer, he was so close but his legs had nothing left. I hope he finished his race and is in good health now.

One hundred meters to go, the clock was on 3:57, I knew that it had taken a couple of minutes to cross the start line so I knew I was going to be sub 4 hours, what a feeling it was, mission accomplished, I hit the finish mat hard with a roar and a fist pump, quickly remembered to stop my Garmin 3:55!!!

41 5:59
42 5:51
0.471 2:26 (5:11)

Final time 3:55:22

What a rush! After a few minutes of catching my breath, I realized that it was absolutely pouring down with rain, I grabbed a bottle of water and one of those foil blankets they were handing out, I could barely walk and was taking tiny steps forward to get my finishers medal. The line-ups to get through the food area were crazy as all the sub 4 marathoners and sub 2 half marathoners were arriving at the same time. I had about a 1 km walk to the car in the pouring rain, but nothing, could dampen my spirits. I am a MARATHONER!
Last edited by mas_runner on Mon May 30, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: mas_runner is a MARATHONER!!

Postby HCcD » Mon May 30, 2011 9:19 am

Been looking forward to reading your race report, Mark, with anticipation ... and, you did not disappoint ... :wink:

Congratulations, on a great Marathon Debut and a solid performance ... You Are A MARATHONER !!!! :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 am

Well done MARATHONER -- you nailed it!! Be very proud of your accomplishment -- yesterday was not an easy day for many people!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 am

Fantastic result congratulations!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:31 am

Ahhh Mark!

What an absolutely stellar debut! You met the wall and pushed right through it! Congratulations marathoner!

Enjoy your recovery!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 am

Congratulations MARATHONER!

Awesome race report, I felt like I was right there with you :D

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon May 30, 2011 10:26 am

Congrats Mark! Thanks for the awesome report covering an equally awesome first marathon. I was wondering how you were doing when I was out there yesterday. Sounds like we were around the same area for the first half since I saw the leaders coming back and we have similar 10 and half splits. Seeing those guys run by is very inspiring for sure.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 am

Great report! I did my first marathon in Ottawa last year, and it was a great place to do it. Sounds like you had a really good experience.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Fabulous result. YOU ARE A MARATHONER!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 pm

MikeM wrote:Congrats Mark! Thanks for the awesome report covering an equally awesome first marathon. I was wondering how you were doing when I was out there yesterday. Sounds like we were around the same area for the first half since I saw the leaders coming back and we have similar 10 and half splits. Seeing those guys run by is very inspiring for sure.

Thanks Mike, I looked out for you, but as the kms wore on, I became less focused on my surroundings and more focused on putting one foot in front of the other.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Weird/funny stuff that has come back to me:

- About 2km, some guy who was about 100m in front of me, veered off course to puke his guts up in a carpark :shock:

- A guy who seemed to be following the 3:50 bunny would get down and do push ups every so often :shock:

- Great signs including; "all this heavy breathing makes me horny", "free nipple rubs", "worst parade ever" :lol:

- About 1km from the finish, a little girl pointed at me and said, "mommy, that one is talking to himself" :lol:
PBs

2017 races - coming up

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon May 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Congrats Marathoner!!! :D

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Great report, Mark. You really were able to convey how the whole thing went for you.
Even with the small slow-down at the end, you really came out with a near-perfect first marathon. You had it all- perfect pacing at the beginning, then you experienced the wall and broke through it to hang on for a strong finish.
Congratulations again. It was great following your training through all of this.

mas_runner wrote:- A guy who seemed to be following the 3:50 bunny would get down and do push ups every so often :shock:

I'm not sure what his point was, but I think that's just obnoxious.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 30, 2011 3:06 pm

Congrats on a great race! Solid running and great attitude about the whole thing!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I love reading first marathon reports. :D
Congratulations on a super race and pushing through right to the end.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon May 30, 2011 3:38 pm

"it dawned on me I was running my first marathon."

Isn't that a great feeling! Congratulations on your first...sounds like you've been bitten by the bug! :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon May 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Congratulations! Fantastic race and report!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon May 30, 2011 3:42 pm

From one Mark to another Mark congratulations. Was happy to be a friendly target for you.

I remember that guy. Saw him once doing the push-ups and as I went by I suggested he try them two handed.

Congrats on the run. Hopefully you are feeling the afterglow more than the legs today.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Mon May 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Awesome report, MARATHONER! Congrats on a HUGE accomplishment and a wicked time! I have to admit to both laughing and crying while reading your report. Now celebrate! :D

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon May 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Congrats on your first marathon! So well trained for, planned for, and finally run! You are an inspiration to me. Yeah! for mas_runner!!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon May 30, 2011 4:16 pm

canalrunner wrote:From one Mark to another Mark congratulations. Was happy to be a friendly target for you.

I remember that guy. Saw him once doing the push-ups and as I went by I suggested he try them two handed.

Congrats on the run. Hopefully you are feeling the afterglow more than the legs today.

Were you the 3:50 continuous? I saw a guy with the 3:50 10:1 sign in black, but were you the one in red with the bunny ears (could have sworn I saw "Mark" written on your t-shirt)?
PBs

2017 races - coming up

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon May 30, 2011 4:30 pm

mas_runner wrote:
canalrunner wrote:From one Mark to another Mark congratulations. Was happy to be a friendly target for you.

Were you the 3:50 continuous? I saw a guy with the 3:50 10:1 sign in black, but were you the one in red with the bunny ears (could have sworn I saw "Mark" written on your t-shirt)?

I was the 10:1 guy with ears on. I like to let others carry the sign. I call it an IV pole. That guy loved to carry the sign. Think he carried it for the last 15k.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon May 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Great report! Congratulations on your first marathon! :-)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon May 30, 2011 6:53 pm

Congratulations!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon May 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Oh that's a great sory! I love a happy ending, especially for a first marathon.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Return to “Run/Race Reports”