Robbie-T's 5K Tour

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T's 5K Tour

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Over the last month and a half I've done 3 - 5k races, I'll combine them into one short race report for review.

June 12 DoggPound in Brampton
July 6 Summer's Night Wed evening in Guelph
July 24 Running from Cancer in Tecumseh/Windsor

Race #1
DoggPound was my first short race since last fall. It was a smaller race, cool day, a bit windy and the course was a slightly rolling. The race was hosted by a MMA gym, it was their first race and they did an exception job, very friendly atmosphere and a lot of fun.

We took off and the eventual winner had a 100m lead on me before I knew it and probably had more like 200m before too long. 3:25 through first km so I knew that I had to let him go catch him later. 3rd k was up a slight incline and against the wind, at the turn with about 2k to go I stated to pick it up and made some groiund on the leader. The final k was rough I pushed hard as I could but didn't have enough to catch him, probably 50m back at the finish.

Final time 18:14 2nd place overall

Race #2
Showed up early to Guelph and jogged some of the course, got nervous as I watched more and more serious runners show up to perform. I tried to take off a bit quicker but again I had to make up a bunch of positions in the first km. It was a hot and muggy night, my mouth was very gummy to start, got a sip of water about 1.5k in and felt a bit better then. After 1.5k we start to run about 1.5k up a slight incline, I held position during this part. At about 3k the eventual master's winner passed me I tried to stick with him and he started slipping away, I caught a couple other guys though. With about 500m to go I started to pick it up and caught one last master and made up some ground on what was lost to the master winner.
After the race Coach Scott-Thomas held a talk on Marathon training with Rob Watson, Reid Coolsaet, Taylor Milne and a few others. Basically to summarize his approach to training, as much mileage as possible, don't worry too much about the speed work (no big secrets, I wasn't surprised). Rob is running about 250km a week preparing for Scotia Bank with only a few speed workouts a week. It was a great night, I really enjoyed the race (a really nice course) and the talk.

Final time 18:37 12th overall 2nd in age group

top 4 where all 15:xx

Race #3
This one was in Windsor, I was down visiting family and this race was close by so what the heck. I knew it would be a flat course and that it was, but man was it HOT. Spent the night before sleeping on a couch with my baby, so no not a very good sleep at all.
The race started at 8am and standing at the starting line I was already dripping with sweat, I knew this would be a tough one. OK I really need to take off faster for the first KM, my competition runs the first km faster then me and I have to run the next 4 faster then them to beat them. After the first KM I was in 8th and gradually made my way up. One guy tried to stay on my shoulder for a long while, I'm not even sure who it was I didn't look back I just stay in the hurt box and tried to brush him off on parked cars ;-) Eventually he fell off and I was still trying to make head way on a young guy <19 and really couldn't get him until the end, he stopped right before the timing mat, I guess he didn't realize where it was and I passed him. I did feel bad for a bit but that's racing.
Took me a long time to stop sweating, man it was hot and humid out there.

Final time 18:39 3rd overall 1st in age group

So overall 3 pretty consistent times and good results, I learned some new 5k race strategies to work on. None of these races I really felt great, I felt I needed to push the race out of me. I want to go into a race feeling fresh with that spring and jump in my step, I'll be running a couple more this year so maybe after some more training and some cooler weather I can get back into the 17's again.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: Robbie-T's 5K Tour

Postby trixiee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:17 am

Hey - those are awesome results Robbie-T! 3 races and 3 podiums? Congrats on all 3! :dance:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 am

Yup, must be fun, up front there. Good on ya Robbie!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 am

Well done man. 8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:22 am

:ar! :ar! ^:)^ ^:)^
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 am

great stuff! i'm curious about how the mma guys did in the race!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:great stuff! i'm curious about how the mma guys did in the race!

None of them were runners really, there was a lot of participation from the gym and for the most part all in excellent shape, all that started finished the race.

The atmosphere at the race was different for that reason, more of a fun and joking spirit, very friendly. Not just talk and chit chat about racing and results, more joking around and talking about training and their last fights. It was a nice change.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Congratulations on your excellent results. Great reports too. I love the expression "hurt box."

I'd be interested to know what your "new 5K race strategies" might be. My basic plan is to take it to the "red line" and try not to blow up before the finish.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:16 pm

5km wrote:Congratulations on your excellent results. Great reports too. I love the expression "hurt box."

I'd be interested to know what your "new 5K race strategies" might be. My basic plan is to take it to the "red line" and try not to blow up before the finish.

My strategy has always been to go out fast, the rational is that it is easier to bank a few seconds in the first km and make some ground on the competition at that point then it is in the final km when you are just trying to hit the pace you want to. However I'm going out too slow, and the guys that I pass in the final km are the guys that make a 10s gap on me right at the start. So I have to run 4 km faster then them to beat them instead of just one km faster then them.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 am

Wow fantastic results, congrats!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Robbie-T wrote:
5km wrote:Congratulations on your excellent results. Great reports too. I love the expression "hurt box."

My strategy has always been to go out fast, the rational is that it is easier to bank a few seconds in the first km and make some ground on the competition at that point then it is in the final km when you are just trying to hit the pace you want to. However I'm going out too slow, and the guys that I pass in the final km are the guys that make a 10s gap on me right at the start. So I have to run 4 km faster then them to beat them instead of just one km faster then them.

Sounds like our tactics are the fairly similar. I try to run the first k as fast as I can to bank some time. Then dial it back as little as possible when fatigue sets in and hang on till the end. That's a long time in "the hurt box" for me.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 am

Nice Robbie-T, very nice 8)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:17 am

Great to see you have been racing! Super results as is usual, congratulations Rob.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Looks to me you are getting slower ;)

18:14
18:37
18:39

Sorry brother, numbers don't lie. Time to hang up those sneakers.

Great Trio of races, good to see you having fun.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Gotta agree with Strider. All that slacking off is showing with those consistent 18 minute races. Like middle-age spread, you gotta nip it in the bud. A couple of 17 minute races in the fall should do that.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 am

Yep, time to move to the middle of the pack with us mortals!

Nice work Rob!! :shock:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 pm

OK OK you don't think I noticed that and made changes already to correct my downward spiral!
My legs are killing from the abuse I put them through last week.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Robbie-T's 5K Tour

Postby b_squared » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Robbie-T wrote:My legs are killing from the abuse I put them through last week.

Ouch!

nice running too!

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Why is it the only thing left on my mind after reading this report is WOW. Nicely done :D

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:27 pm

Good work Robbie-T!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”