Raid the North Extreme Race Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Really late posting but here it goes.... Raid the North Extreme 2011 - a 6-day expedition Adventure Race in the West Kootenays of BC. I have been preparing for this event since last October. Everything I did from that moment until 23 July was to get me ready for this race. This was the only race that mattered to me this year... I was physically and mentally ready for this race

I arrived in Nelson on Thursday and spent the day sorting through my gear and hugging and kissing my bike and food that I shipped via UPS a week before. The rest of the team wouldn’t arrive until that evening or the next day so took it easy and slow... pack a little, put up the feet a little, and repeat...

Friday we met up as a team and just spent the day playing with the gear some more (the more you looked at it, the more you re-organized with it)...

and then went down to a local park and did our check-in. In total it took a couple hours to do the gear check, ropes, medical check, nav check, etc. We also took the opportunity to strategize how we would put our bikes in the canoes since we would be paddling with them for one leg. During my bike check, the guy noticed that my back hub was loose and recommended taking it into the shop for a check. I promptly did and they initially though the axle was broken (and didn’t have a replacement) so I was $h!ting bricks but when they took it apart it was a bearing issue and something else so they were able to fix it but there was a tense hour or so when it wasn’t looking good (ETA: bike worked great through out the course. particularly the brakes (which were vitally important).

After a nice pasta dinner out on a patio, we made our way to the ‘opening ceremonies’ at a local church and most importantly get our maps.

Also got a bit of a Cirque du Soleil yoga show from the Yogaslackers... picture doesn't do it justice what they did..

We didn’t waste any time getting back to our room and start plotting the 22 points on the 8 maps. Plotting was a bit confusing as there were grid lines as well as cross-hairs. The cross hairs lined up with the numbers on the edge of the maps so we used them to plot but found out after that we should have used the grid lines.....arghhh! It cost us some time and angst but got it sorted eventually. With the help of a backroads map and Google Maps we plotted our course. We packed it in just past midnight and decided to resume the next morning.

all the maps together...

Saturday was a flurry of activity. Now that we knew the legs and lengths, we could plan our bins a bit better, so finalized them (and finally closed them up) before taking them to Race HQ for transport along with all our other gear... hope we didn’t miss anything!

Pierluc's bin with family photos:

I think around 1pm we were on the buses to Kaslo campground where we would spend the evening (and ‘play’ with our bins yet again...)

Surprisingly had a pretty good night sleep and woke up reasonably fresh. Tore down our tents, packed up our ‘team bin’ (we were permited 5 x 190L bins so we had 4 individual bins and 1 team bin for tents, paddling gear and other bits). Our team bin was a 50gal trash can (which we had to modify slightly with an orange juice bottle to accommodate Phil’s paddles). It worked well during the race and after the race we filled with all of our trash...

I think around 8-ish we were on the buses heading for Meadow Creek Community Centre to meet up with our bikes and start.

We will be biking up near where the snow is...

The first leg was a short-ish bike leg with quite a bit of climb and looking at the map it definitely would be our easiest leg of the week. Linear distance was about 22km with about 5200ft of climb - all rideable... just long steady climbing. The temperature was almost perfect and the views were amazing. About half way up, one of our team mates started to cramp so we had to take desperate measures. He dug his trekking poles out and the rest of us took turns pushing his bike and carrying his pack. It took a lot out of the three of us but we got the team to CP 1... in last place. We took some time at the CP to refill our water bottles, change out of our bike gear, don on trekking poles and climb some more to a pass at the base of Meadow Mountain.

I think one of the funniest sights of the weeks was within 10 minutes after leaving the CP, we hit our first snow patch... and so did the Hummer that was stuck in it. Not sure where he thought he was going because the snow didn’t get any less the higher you went. We offered to push him out but he declined so we kept going. Once up on the pass, we had some pretty spectacular views all around us and knew we were headed in the right direction when we ran into the photographer...

The easy going didn’t last long when we started to bushwhack and head down the side of the mountain.

Phil: “I like to bushwhack and will apologize now.”
Me: “Yeah, so everyone STFU and lets go... ;-)
Essentially we would lose 3500ft in about 2.5 linear kms - which meant some steep sections and some definite slipping and sliding. A couple of cliff sections that we skirted around. I think within an hour of heading down, I slipped, planted my poles, and *snap*... broken pole... crap... down to one... We eventually hit a couple of clear cuts (which is pretty amazing considering how steep the slope was) and followed them down until we hit a lower clear cut that looked like it had a service road on the eastern edge... bingo... the road we were looking for. We jumped on the road and followed it down to Cooper Creek. While making our way down we ran into Adrenaline Rush. Chatted with them briefly until they stopped to talk to family and we made our way down to a log cabin. We stopped here for a bit, grabbed a bit to eat, did some foot maintenance, filled the water bladders before making our way across the ‘creek‘ (more like a river for us Easterners)...

By this time, there were a few teams around us. For the next couple of km, we followed the creek and if memory serves me correctly, there was a trail that was marked with pink surveyors tape. After a couple kms, we crossed the river... sorry... creek.... along with about 5 other teams and found that it came to a bit of a dead end so we all piled back across the river again and found the trail again. I think we crossed the creek a couple times before ending up on the western side and the slope got steeper and steeper until we found ourselves in a pretty nasty area. It was now dark and a number of teams were in the general area. We came across a rock chute and there were rocks flying down the hill quite frequently and thankfully no one got hit. We eventually climbed enough to get around it and headed back down to get across the creek (it appeared that there was a bit more room on the western side of the creek (which there was). We found a place to cross that was slightly above knee high (but the water was COLD!) and stumbled our way across in a human chain holding on to one another as the water was going pretty fast. We stopped on the opposite side and changed socks before we went too much further. The next few hours was ‘put your head down‘ and bushwhack. It was hard going but we were moving. We passed a couple of teams that had decided to hunker down for the night. It was kind of wierd seeing teams sleeping in the woods. Their emergency blankets reflecting our headlamps looked like hundreds of fireflies. One point in the night I got everyone to turn off their headlamps... and look up... millions of stars - it was fantastic. In spots under the trees it was so dark that when I turned off my light, I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face... We took a few breaks throughout the evening and closed my eyes ever so briefly.

Once the sun came up, we were in a couple of nasty clear cuts and movement was next to impossible so we chose a different tact to improve movement slightly. We dropped down and followed the river (I think - this bit is a bit blurry) - it was better, but still not great. However, it was nice to finally make it to somewhat of a clearing before the climb out of the valley.

we will be following the rock scree up and to the right...

It did mean, however, one more creek crossing before getting up there...

This one was quite high and very strong but we made it without too much difficulty. By this time we could see a couple of teams up ahead climbing the rock ‘scree‘ and snow. We took a bit of a break on a nice outcrop of rocks before the climbing began.... The ground alternated between boulders/rocks and hard packed snow. the snow was pretty sticky but still had to be careful with your footing. By this time it was starting to rain (and a bit cool) so threw on the jacket just in case.

After a slight drop in elevation, we were ready to tackle one last ascent to CP 2. It looked a bit tricky as we had to navigate some tricky, steep snow sections and cross a stream (yes, it was cold).

The snow climb to the pass was fairly pleasant once we got past the stream and were greeted by three enthusiastic volunteers... A quick chat with them and over the top we went and then straight down. Boot skiing turned into a little bit of butt skiing before it leveled out a bit. We essentially followed a snow trail down along a stream until it turned into a Fire Service Road and dropped even more down to Retallack to where our TA bins were waiting for us. We were in old mining country so it was kind of cool to see a couple of old entrances into some mine shafts on the way down.

Surprisingly, we were no longer in last place, I think we were 18th so passed a lot of teams in the 22+hr trek . At this TA, we decided to grab a warm meal, a nap (I couldn't sleep) and then head out on the bike before dark.... We were now Monday evening - about 36-ish hours in...

more to come...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Raid the North Extreme Race Report

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 am

...it's going to be hard to be patient waiting for the next chapter :D
Was it tough only have one pole so early in the adventure?
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:15 am

Spectacular country!!! Glad you have the pics.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 am

Lovin' it. Keep it coming.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 am

Jo-Jo wrote:...it's going to be hard to be patient waiting for the next chapter :D
Was it tough only have one pole so early in the adventure?

It was a bit of a pain 'being a tripod' but eventually got used to it. More so on the steep downhill sections where I had to switch hands if we were switchbacking.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:11 am

Incredible adventure! Can't wait for the next part. Spectacular photos.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 pm

surprisingly it was a climb (we figured about 11,000 ft of climb for the total bike leg... more roads that weren’t on the map that were on the ground and vice versa caused a bit of delay. We got to a road that appeared to be the road on the map that we needed to take us to CP 4 but it sort of petered out to nothing so went back to the main road and followed it and then we climbed some more. We were on a hill (mountain?)side and climbed into the clouds. The sun had gone down and the sky opened up. It was now pouring. We were moving slow but at least we were moving. We finally came to a cabin with chem lights but elevation-wise we weren’t high enough to be at the CP so I kept going but as we went past the volunteer came running out after us... When we went into the cabin (which was nice and toasty and didn’t really want to leave) we double-checked the point and it was mis-plotted by a km (which explained the elevation discrepancy). We hung out in the cabin for a bit and dried off but decided to keep going. It was a bit chilly getting back outside and you guess it... we climbed. None of the roads were on the map, so we were kind of blind. We got to a point where there weren’t any tire tracks, I wasn’t really sure where we were because my brain wasn’t translating the map to terrain very well... we decided to head back down to the cabin. When we got back we talked with the Dancing Pandas (who had some difficulties as well) and decided to get a couple hours of sleep (It was now around midnight) and head out just before light to see if we could find the road that led to Recos Pass. By the time we got back to the cabin the fire was out and it was kind of cool in there so when I crawled up into the rafters, still wet and cold, I didn’t sleep much (perhaps an hour) before it was time to move on. My bed was in the rafters and my pillow was a 2x6. Our two teams set out and got to an intersection and went straight (I think earlier in the evening we went right) and still not sure how we missed it / ignored, etc. But once we got past that point, we had some serious climbing to the pass.

We were all hike-a-biking to the top in this photo. Not sure what some of the % incline was but would say some of it was over 15%...

But what goes up must come down.... a nice steep down hill following a number of switchbacks down to the ghost town of Cody and then over to Sandon...

(not us)

We now had the unenviable task of climbing over 3500 ft up Idaho Peak over the next 11km. We climbed and slowly the km markers went by and reminded us how far we had to go to the top. After two nights of about 1hr total, the sleep monsters were starting to get me so I popped a couple pink pills (read caffeine) to help put some spring (relatively speaking) in my step. About 2km from the end of the road we got to CP 5 and then for the next couple 2km we were off and on our bikes between pavement and snow (more snow than pavement)...

(not us)

Finally we peaked out.

(we were heading down to the lake on the right)

After a quick bio break, we jumped on Wakefield trail (http://www.leelau.net/2006/idahopeak100 ... 100806.htm) for essentially a ‘slide-a-bike down the hill. It felt like we descended the 3500+ ft that we climbed in about 1/2 of the distance. The brakes got a really good workout on this downhill (which included crossing a snowy scree slope which was a bit dicey in bike shoes). We eventually made it down to a double track road that was a lot of fun to bomb down and brought us to Silverton on Slocan lake and CP 6. It was nice to be at our bins and grab some food and take care of the feet.

I think we stayed here for about 30-40 minutes before jumping in the canoes for a 27km-ish paddle. We couldn’t have asked for better weather for this paddle. The sun was out, the wind was at our backs and we moved along pretty well (I think we finished it in just under 3hrs). Earlier in the morning / the evening before it was taking teams close to 5hrs due to the headwinds.

It was lake paddling except for the last 1.5km which was on a fairly quick river. We saw the take out point (which was behind a little rock point / wall). So as Pierluc and I got close, we paddled hard on the left side to get us pointed in the right direction but we hit a little mini-rapid and then a calm pool of water which was a recipe for a capsize.... we were in the drink and the water was frickin’ cold. I had strapped my pack to the canoe so it was safe, Pierluc hadn’t but it got trapped under the canoe and with the dry bags inside, helped keep it afloat (although he lost his sunglasses). We eventually were able to swim the canoe to the shore and get out without too much damage (other than ego, I suppose).

before the photographer (who was sitting on the shore) gave us a hand after she snapped a couple pictures... priorities... :-)

more to come...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:04 pm

That spill in "the drink" sounds chilly.
I am so happy I'm living this vicariously through you...and not doing it myself :wink:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:31 pm

By the time we hauled the filled up canoe out of the water and got to shore, I was getting a bit chilled so pretty much stripped the top layers off and everything on my feet to help dry it all out while we were getting ready for the ‘big trek’ - the saving grace was that it was sunny and fairly warm. The ‘swim’ threw me off because I felt really disorganized in the TA and felt like I was wasting a lot of time. I threw about 36hrs of food into my pack and eventually was ready to go. My warm gear was now kind of dry after the ‘swim’ but I hung my jacket on the outside of my pack to air it out a bit more. We had a discussion with our faltering team mate to make sure he was well enough to carry on - he assured us he was... so we head out. It was about an 8km trek to Evans Lake Falls (?) campground and then turn West towards Beatrice Lake.

We followed the initial trail along Slocan lake with a couple other teams (Dancing Pandas & Mandatory Equipment) until we got just beyond the campground and then our ‘faltering’ team mate couldn’t continue any longer. His body had now shut down and we weren’t going anywhere. We had a quick team meeting and decided to head back to the campground because there was no way he could continue. There was a small hut and he crawled in his emergency blanket and slept - he wasn’t in good shape (we weren’t going anywhere fast). A couple of other teams came through the campground and one team also hunkered down for the night. In the middle of the night I heard one of the team mates say they needed to have a ‘Come to Jesus team meeting’... in other words break the news to their ‘injured’ team mate that he couldn’t carry on (I think they pulled out as a team).

Three of us gathered wood (most of it was soaked from all the rain) for a fire and eventually got it going - our paper to start it... TP. I think I eventually laid down but only got a hour of sleep before getting up and collecting more wood for the fire. There was a family staying in and around the hut don't think they got too much sleep with us chopping wood and with the commotion going on...

Phil & Pierluc catching some Z's.

When the sun came up, we contacted Race HQ by radio and let them know what was going on but it didn’t look like our team mate could make it back to CP7 and to ‘civilization’ so discussed options with them but it eventually boiled down to us having to trek 8km back to the CP.

Our team mate finally was able to take in some food and water and by mid-morning we were slowly making our way back to CP 7. Part of the way back, another team mate was now suffering. A trek the night before that look us about 2hrs, was going to take us about 6hrs to get back... Once back to the CP, our two ill team mates crawled into their sleeping bags and got some more sleep. Me and the other guy just hung out, had some chicken noodle soup, and did some foot maintenance. We chatted with another team that was having ‘difficulties‘ so we weren’t the only team. I chatted a bit with Henry who was volunteering for the week - he was also nice enough to offer me a beer (and I obliged). I think around mid-evening we decided we weren’t going anywhere that night so put up one of our tents and convinced one of our ill team mates to crawl in and the rest of us crawled in for a team meeting. The team mate that was having difficulties from day one would not be carrying on. We would see if the team mate that got ill on the trek back from the campground would have the legs in the morning. So we slept... I was stuck with a tent that I didn't know how to put up (there weren't tent poles - you used trekking poles) so I just jumped in my sleeping bag and rolled the tent around me - I slept but not very well...

It was now Wednesday morning and lost over 24hrs...Up at 5am and our team mate appeared to be good to go so we packed up, got our bikes and headed out to a beautiful morning ride on about 20km of Fire Service Roads to CP 10.

Pierluc waiting to head out.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Oh my.
I didn't expect this turn of events if your adventure. Must have been really tough knowing a couple team members were "crumbling".....worry about them...and also wondering how the team would carry on.

Waiting for the next episode :wink:

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 pm

We were about 5km from CP 10 when we see a team walking towards us (Check Point Zero)... strange... they must be lost. We stop and check and they didn’t have map 4 with them and were going by memory to get them from the road out of Valhalla to CP10. Unfortunately they turned left at the end of the road instead of right and walked 5km in the wrong direction (if they would have turned right, the entrance to the CP was less than 50m...). One of the team member’s feet were in bad shape and he could barely walk so we threw him on the back of one of our bikes and gave him a lift for a while to take a bit of the load off. Mentally he was also in pretty bad shape. I have never seen anyone like that before... sober... he asked us the same question three times within one minute (question: “where did you guys get your bikes?”) - it was funny and scary at the same time.

After we parted with them, we made a quick stop at CP 10 and kept going to CP 11 which was also a zipline near a waterfall. It was kind of cool zipping across the river with bike in tow.

Getting harnesses on
Phil ready to go (I think I am across already)
Pierluc stopped half way across to snap a picture...

Once on the other side, we made our way down the road to CP 12. We followed the road on the Western side of the river and then would cross a bridge (so we thought) back to the Eastern side but when we got to the bridge, it wasn’t there... we should have cut our losses and headed back the way we came and crossed a bridge we knew was there but instead we tried to cross the river with bikes in tow. Not gonna happen. We almost made it a couple times but there was always a section about 10ft wide that was deep and fast and impenetrable... had a close call once as a team mate went down and was being swept down stream but he was able to catch himself when I grabbed him. Disaster averted. One positive is we saw a sow and cub. I was coming around a corner and saw what I thought was a moose but quickly realized it was a bear on its hind quarter and then it dropped down and scurried across the road followed by its cub. It stopped a few metres in the woods and then stopped, looked back, and back on its hind quarter to check us out. We watched her for a bit but figured we had better keep going so we didn't tick her off too much.

On our way back to bridge that did exist we met another team (also without a map) so they drew a quick map of the section from CP 12 to 14 - they offered us some chocolate as thanks and then we both carried on. Within 20 minutes we were directly across from where we were trying to cross the river... for the next 20 or so km we followed a road along the river and met up with WEDALI and hung out and chatted with them as we rode along. Once we got to CP 12, the nice river road ride stopped and were going to follow the ‘short course’ route to CP 14 and it was straight up and over following a power line. The first 20km was straight up over the mountain (about 3200 ft of climb) and we alternated between biking with hike-a-bike. About half way up a team mate was really feeling the effects so we took a number of breaks to help ease some of it. A couple times we had to dig out the warm gear / emergency blanket for him because he was shivering so bad but clearly had a fever - scary stuff.

The key was now was to get down off this mountain before night fall - I foolishly didn't bring my bike headlamp because I didn't think I would need it... I didn’t really time it but it probably took is about 5hrs to climb that side of the mountain and about 30 min to drop down the other side to the lake - a lot of fun coming down the other side... but my arms were almost jell-o from the shaking and squeezing the brakes the whole way. I touched my brakes near the bottom and they were smokin' hot. I had to take a slight nav check at the bottomo because there was no road on the map where we needed to go but I eventually found a road not on the map and it took us right to where we needed to go (and before dark...)

We got our ill team mate down to sleep as quickly as possible. Luckily the volunteer (Scottie - a racer that pulled out earlier in the week) had warm blankets, pillows, etc to keep him warm. He was in pretty bad shape and we weren’t going anywhere for a while. And besides our TA bins hadn’t shown up yet and they weren’t sure when they were coming. I hung out by the fire with Henry and Scottie and just chatted until midnight. Henry had a little stash of red wine that he broke out so had a couple of glasses before tucking in for the night. Henry called all of us ‘Extremists’ for doing the extreme sports.

My emergency blanket had seen better days so wasn’t providing a lot of warmth but got a couple hours of sleep before heading back to the fire around sun up. Over the next few hours a number of people came out of the wood work and warmed up near the fire. There were a number of bins at this TA of teams that had already passed through so someone finally ‘broke’ into a couple of the bins to get some food as we were all pretty hungry (we figured they were doing the same with our bins at the end of the paddle). Can’t remember what time it was but the bins finally showed up... well all of them except ours...

all the bins but ours.

Ours got dropped off at the end of the paddle. So we had none of our paddling gear and no food. A couple of teams were nice enough to throw us some of their food and Scottie had a couple kayak paddles that she lent to us. Unfortunately there weren’t enough canoes either so one of our team mates volunteered to jump in with Scottie while the couple of us paddled the 40km down Upper Arrow Lake. Relatively speaking it was a pretty good paddle.

Weather was perfect, wind was behind (our sail would have come in handy but alas...) but my back was suffering (and would have loved to have my canoe seat) but just put my head down and kept paddling. We made a couple pitstops on the way but for the most part just kept moving. A couple cool wildlife spottings: 2 mountain goats and one black bear just before takeout. It was nice to see our bins at take out.

We grabbed some food and tried to sort out our gear for the next bike leg. We had a short team meeting to discuss options. The next bike leg had a huge climb from the lake and our ailing team mate, while was able to paddle didn't want to take the chance with the mountain and have no 'escape' if something happened so two of us decided to do the next bike leg to CP 16 and then on to CP 19 (where we would be cut off due to time).

It wasn’t going to be an easy ride... there was a monster hill (I think it was called Bull Dog Mountain). I think this was the steepest mountain we climbed on the MTB all week (and this is saying a lot after the powerline road the day before). We essentially climbed about 4000ft in about 3.5 vertical kms. Again the fun was all about the other side. We dropped down quickly to the Trans Canada Trail and followed it to CP 16 through a mile long tunnel (which was kind of cool) before back tracking and following the old abandoned railway along the lake (about 1000 ft up). The view was pretty amazing. The sun had just gone down and the silhouettes of the mountains around the lake looked pretty cool. The section along the lake was all down hill (gradual but down). We moved along pretty well until we left the TCT and then we climbed. On the map it looked like this section wouldn’t be very steep but it was pretty steady. Dropping down the other side I was getting a bit chilled but knew we would be done soon. I think we got to CP 19 around midnight and were told we couldn’t continue but they were going to shuttle us to the beginning of the 7 Summits path so we could bike it and then into the finish... not interested... after the early ‘issues’ I wanted to complete as much of the course as possible but wasn’t really interested in crossing the finish line just a couple of us... that will need to be another exped race to do that...

DNF’ing always sucks and this one more so because of all of the time and effort I spent to get myself properly prepared to tackle this course. The very early weekend training sessions so I could still spend time with my family, meanwhile... I better stop there... everyone was pretty bummed.

A race of this length and magnitude isn't easy and anything can go wrong and unfortunately for us, stuff did (and for a lot of teams). Biggest disappointment for me is not experiencing the huge trek in Valhalla Provincial Park (30-60hrs to complete). I guess the trek around a few of the lakes was brutal as the bush was so thick with cliffs, etc and was taking some teams almost 3hrs to go 1km but once you made it on top, it was spectacular... Every time I see pictures from teams that made it through, my heart sinks a little bit more...

The course was amazing and very challenging and it is too bad that there were some logistically issues that will leave a bad taste in some people’s mouths.

Now need to find one in 2012 to get redemption...

Since the race, I haven't done much other than ride to and from work everyday (about 50min each way) and do a couple of runs. I gave myself a grace period of no training and guilt free eating before getting back at it again. Race schedule is free and won't look at it until after holidays...

Thank you for reading!

Christine_Runs
Johnny Miles

Postby Christine_Runs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Kpore,

Very cool read! I'm from the Pontiac too (I live in Petawawa, but my family is all still in the Pontiac). Just out of curiosity, why the kayak paddles? I'm assuming its considered faster but I'm just surprised so I'd be interested in the details.

Christine

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 am

Wow, leaves me sad too.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Great read and totally in awe of all you guys did accomplish. Sad about the ending though. :(
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Christine_Runs wrote:Hi Kpore,

Very cool read! I'm from the Pontiac too (I live in Petawawa, but my family is all still in the Pontiac). Just out of curiosity, why the kayak paddles? I'm assuming its considered faster but I'm just surprised so I'd be interested in the details.

Christine
ref Pontiac... Cool! Yes, we use kayak paddles for the extra speed... and wind permitting a canoe sail as well. However, there was one team that tied their two canoes together (like a catamaran) and used their canoe paddles. One of the keys of using kayak paddles in a canoe is to get them a bit longer than usual. The paddles we borrowed for the second leg were shorter than we were used to and I think I beat my knuckles raw on the side of the canoe.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 pm

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:Wow, leaves me sad too.

Habs4ever wrote:Great read and totally in awe of all you guys did accomplish. Sad about the ending though. :(

Still coming to grips with it but trying to look at the positives and take away some lessons learned from this - which there were many - and use those so we will finish next time. I am very confident that without the 'issues' along the way that my body would have held up to what I needed it to do and finish what we started - so I think the training I did was about right - one positive.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 pm

What a great adventure to read. Sorry about the finish but you accomplished some major stuff. Do they race in the same place each year or does it move around?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:37 pm

I feel sad too.
But in awe as well.
And I really liked how teams cooperated with each other. How sweet for that team to "pay" your team with some chocolate. :D

I have no doubt you will find redemption out there on some crazy race course!!

In the meantime...rest up. Thanks for taking us along on this journey.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Wow- that was pretty amazing! Too bad it didn't all work out as planned, but it sure sounded like it was an amazing experience.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:And I really liked how teams cooperated with each other. How sweet for that team to "pay" your team with some chocolate. :D

One of the many things I like about ARs. If someone is in trouble, teams just inherently help out because one day/race it could be you...

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Tori wrote:What a great adventure to read. Sorry about the finish but you accomplished some major stuff. Do they race in the same place each year or does it move around?

Yes, after 5-3/4 days of racing, can't help but feel we did some pretty cool stuff - even if it wasn't all the cool stuff we wanted to do. This race they move around and typically run it every 2-4 years because it is such a big undertaking. Not sure if and when they will run it again - I hope they do over a similar-type course (ie, tough!).

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:17 pm

wow - what an accomplishment! I'm so sorry you weren't able to finish as you want - it seems that's the way it goes in adventure racing. You can be as prepared as possible, and sometimes, things just don't work out. Looking forward to hearing about your next one. Congrats!!! (and thanks for posting the great report!)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 pm

That's still a frick'n awesome in my books ... and, sounds like a lot of fun, as well .. :shock: :lol: :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 pm

What an interesting read! I'm sorry it didn't go the way you hope and I really hope you get your revenge next year.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:13 am

Return to “Run/Race Reports”