Raid the North Extreme Race Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Raid the North Extreme Race Report

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:55 am

Sometimes, we feel bad for not having "finished." But I am usually proud of what I do accomplish. Like if I run 44 miles but the race is 50, I'm still pretty darn happy with 44 miles. So don't dis yourself. Look at what you did and remember all the experiences anyway.

AND, I like RM cuz it brings me into communication with guys like you who I'd never meet in my face to face world. I loved your daily journal too.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks all for the commiserations.

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:Sometimes, we feel bad for not having "finished." But I am usually proud of what I do accomplish. Like if I run 44 miles but the race is 50, I'm still pretty darn happy with 44 miles. So don't dis yourself. Look at what you did and remember all the experiences anyway.

The more time I get to reflect on the race, the more I am taking this view. Thank you. It really was an amazing experience and took a lot from it. Oh and the views and course were pretty spectacular.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Wow, I'm in awe!!

Sorry you weren't able to finish - redemption will come, and it will be sweet!

How did you find racing with people you weren't able to train with regularly? Would you do that again, or pick a team of people who live closer together?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:36 pm

La wrote:How did you find racing with people you weren't able to train with regularly? Would you do that again, or pick a team of people who live closer together?

For the most part it worked okay. Less than ideal but having regular Skype calls and tracking one another's training on AttackPoint helped although it was difficult to see if someone was in race shape or not (...perhaps I should bite my tongue...) but found out that wasn't the case for one team member... the hard way. I think it was important that three of us raced together in June in a shorter race. Would I do it again.... I would but I would screen / select / research a little bit better.

If the schedules work out I think three of us would do Untamed New England next year in Maine (19-24 Jun). Historically they have put on some pretty epic events so that is an option.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:47 am

I'm in awe as well.

Not just from the endurance and strength factor, but the incredible orgainization that goes in to participating in an event like this! You all seemed to have that aspect down very well.

Congrats!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

roadrunner
Tom Longboat

Postby roadrunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:27 pm

I am in awe. I have a DVD of a race where a competitor died. That zipline freaked me out. I have been doing one day AR with 2 friends for coming on 4 years. We are talking about doing a multi day AR at some point. Maybe some day we will meet on a mountain top. :) I know how you feel about team mates not being prepared. But they are good friends we never argue and I just complain about the evilness of the Race Director. Non stop cursing through swamps and dense pine forest.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”