Robbie-T @ 5Peaks Hilton Falls Enduro

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T @ 5Peaks Hilton Falls Enduro

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 am

Last Saturday I was lucky enough to be able to run the Hilton Falls course of the 5Peaks Series. The course was a bit longer than listed, the usual distance for enduro courses is about 12km this one ended up being 14.5km. As usual the event was very organised and the atmosphere was very energetic and positive.

The course was tough, it was 2 loops and even with much of the course being on Jeep trails, those trails were rocky and rolling, the trails parts were very rocky and technical so you had to concentrate all the time to run your fastest and not roll an ankle.

The course started out with a long steep climb, and I was feeling rough for the first couple km, everyone took off so darn fast as usual, I tried to hold myself back but also didn't want the leaders to get too far ahead of me. I kept remembering what Doonst said to me, it's all about the second loop. I eventually settled down and ran my race, I kept a few of the older guys in my sights and while I was on the large paths I picked up the pace to catch them, and caught my breath in the slower, technical trails. After the first loop I was done, I felt I was loosing ground, but knew I'd have to push to make up ground and I did. The second loop felt much smoother for me, I caught a second wind and made ground on a number of the guys that beat me around the first time. This loop was becoming very congested in the second half, in the trails we were always calling out 'left side' and the other runners were very nice at scrambling into the bush as we barged past. Much of the second loop I was treading places with the eventual 9th place runner, I tried dropping him a couple times on the fast parts and he tried the same but we always caught back up to each other. Finally the the end was close we both pushed hard, the finish was down a steep rocky path that had me checking myself so as not to do a face plant.

I finished 10th overall, 3rd in my age group. 1:05:26
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Re: Robbie-T @ 5Peaks Hilton Falls Enduro

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 am

You have been racing allot lately Rob. Did you have visions of ITT 2010 as you flew through the rocky trails…glad you were careful. There are some really fast folks at the ITT races. I hope to do a few more races in this series next year. Congratulations on your AG placement

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 am

Great job, again! Congrats on the AG placing. You're really rocking your fall races. :dance:
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 am

Great performance as always Robbie, 4:31 pace on those trails is madness.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:59 am

you're fast.

in case you didn't know that.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 am

Nice racin' Robbie!!

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Great run Rob. IMHO that Bent Rim Trail is right on the borderline of can be run/must be walked... which is why I decided to include it. Kudos on measuring yourself against the best of the best. Top 10 is a feat in that field of killers.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Stellar results as always! Isn't trail racing the best?!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:05 am

Wow that's great, congratulations!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:54 pm

West Grey Runner wrote:You have been racing allot lately Rob. Did you have visions of ITT 2010 as you flew through the rocky trails…glad you were careful. There are some really fast folks at the ITT races. I hope to do a few more races in this series next year. Congratulations on your AG placement

Thanks Everyone. Ron the first loop I definitely had thoughts of ITT again, the second loop I didn't I just floated over the rocks. I hope to get back to ITT again, maybe next year to take revenge and through down a fastie time. I'd say the tough parts in ITT are still much tougher then the Hilton Falls tough spots. ITT is still the toughest course I've been on, with a perfect mix of all terrain.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Sounds like a tough course with a competitive field... and as always, you pushed hard and got an awesome result. Congrats. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:52 am

Nice job on those trails, Robbie! That's a really fast time! Congratulations finishing in top 10 and placing in your group.
Enjoy what's left of the racing season.
Ultrarunner again

Return to “Run/Race Reports”