Hammie's Victoria Half

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Hammie's Victoria Half

Postby Hammie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I went into this race not really sure what my expectations should be. I had a great first half of the year, then sort of lost my direction in running after that. I had PF that was slow to resolve, then work was adding a lot of extra work & stress to my life, then it seemed like there was just one thing after another that needed my time and energy. I had wanted to do the full in Victoria, but my heart (and health) just wasn't in it, so I stuck with the half. I went in knowing I wasn't in PB shape (my half PB is 1:48:23), but my goals were (1) to have a tough but comfortable run, (2) to try and pace myself well, and (3) to have fun. This was my first ever half marathon back in 2008, and I wanted to celebrate that "anniversary" by having a good time.

We met my parents and sister in Victoria (all at the same hotel, 1 min from the start/finish) and were tourists on friday and saturday. My kids got to feed the incredibly fat & tame seal at Fishermans' Wharf and ride a harbour ferry, which they loved. Went out for dinner with my sister the night before, had a burger and beer, and felt more relaxed than I ever have before a race.

The next morning, I got ready and my mother and I walked out to the start about 10 min before the start time - just enough time to hug each other and say good luck before finding our places in the pack. I didn't wear a garmin or watch, since I wasn't running for my time. And we were off. The first 6 or seven km just kind of blew by. I didn't even realize how far I had gone until we were out of Beacon hill park - apparently, I wasn't looking for km markers either! I hit the 10k point at 51:55. I was still feeling really good at that point. The only part that I found tough was winding through the neighbourhoods from 11k to around 14k. There's a small but steady hill, and I find it tough not seeing where I'm going next. I slowed down a bit here, as I was feeling a bit more tired. By the time I got back onto Dallas Rd, I was picking up a bit again. From 17k until the end, I was finding it hard but not struggling. I wanted to pace myself to finish strong, and I felt good enough to really pick it up in the last 500m. The clock said 1:53:xx when I crossed - my sister told me later that my chip time was 1:51:23, exactly 3 minutes slower than my PB. This was almost a minute faster than the half marathon in edmonton in august, and that one was a struggle; on sunday, I felt really good at the end. So I'm very happy with that time - it is better than I had hoped for, given the inconsistency of my training recently. I jogged back to the hotel, grabbed a jacket, and got back to the finish in time to see my mother cross the finish line. Not a PB for her either, but a really good run. My DH did PB in the 8k, but his chip malfunctioned and he doesn't have an official time - he doesn't actually care that much, though. He was just glad to have a good run.

Even better, though, was still feeling good enough to run one more km - with my 4 yo son in the kids run! When I first asked him if he wanted to do it, he said "no way!". Then he was at the finish line in edmonton & saw me (and lots of other people) cross the finish line and get medals. Suddenly, he wanted to do it! So he picked up his race package and number with me, and we lined up (with GrannieHammie) behind the "4-6 year old" sign, did our warm up, and we were off! I told him we would walk or run, whatever he felt like. As soon as the other kids started running, he wanted to run. He'd point out another kid and say "I want to beat that boy (or girl)!" and take off, then walk, then take off again. About 3/4 of the way through, he was getting tired, so we walked the rest of the way. 20m from the finish line, we ran to cross the line running, then he stopped dead and said "where's my medal?!" :lol: He got it, had his photo taken with the Victoria Royals mascot, got a chocolate milk, then refused to take off his medal, shirt or race number for the rest of the day :lol: .

I've run the Victoria half 3 times now. The first time (2008) was fantastic, last year was not (my then 3 year old son had viral gastro, I had PF, my mother pulled her hamstring, and I got 4 stitches in my eyebrow after the race when I tripped. not the Hammie family's finest hour!). This year seemed good for different reasons. Any day I can go out and run with my family is a good day, and we all ran healthy and happy. And after a rough summer, I feel like I'm getting my enthusiasm for running back. I'm looking forward to the Last Chance Half in a few weeks, then my mother and I are both signing up for the BMO Vancouver marathon - her first, my second. There will be a lot of treadmill in my life again this winter :lol: .
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hammie's Victoria Half

Postby Half-Mary » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Congrats on a great run!

I love the story of the hamster running the fun run and demanding his medal. :lol:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 pm

what a great report!!! congrats to the whole hammie family! 8)

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:19 pm

where did you eat though?

ha!

well done Hammie. Let's hope that we get a mild winter so that you can minimize that treadmill...looking forward to following your training for Van!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Sounds like good times for the Hammie family. Glad you all enjoyed it. I heard the weather was great in Victoria.

Hoping too, that you get some training outdoors over the winter.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 am

Great race report Hammie! Glad you had good weather for it yesterday.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Hammie's Victoria Half

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:23 am

Great report Hammie! Sounds like a great day.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 am

Great race, Hammie .. congrats ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:56 am

Great race report, Congrats on your race (and 1K).

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:06 am

Sounds pretty strong! Congratulations Hammie! Fun times :D
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

Congratulations to the HammieFamily. :D

Depending on which marathon I do, we could be TM TRAINING BUDDIES. :lol: We could get Size5 and be the Alberta TM Training Trio!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:02 am

Congrats on a strong race! :dance:
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 am

way to go hammie family!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 am

Great strong performance!
Sounds like a great weekend in Victoria!
Up next...
More running!

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:04 am

What a great race!!
IMC 2015

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:31 am

Half-Mary wrote:Congrats on a great run!

I love the story of the hamster running the fun run and demanding his medal. :lol:

This. Exactly.

I'm glad you had a good run for your half, and I love the Hamster story. Awesome. :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Yippee!! What a great half Hammie :D
Congratulations to you, your mom and Mr Hammie as well as the Hamster :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”