10 Miler Whitby Report plus a bit of whining

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:49 pm

This 10 Miler was a little bit of a boost to my destroyed sense of accomplishment as a result of my two disappointing and embarrassing marathons (Toronto Waterfront in October and Hamilton 2 weeks ago). I didn’t even write a report for Hamilton because I felt so ashamed of my poor performance. I haven’t decided yet if I am going to quit running full marathons or I should perhaps join the Running Room 16 week training session for my next marathon.

For the past two weeks I have only done a couple of slow 5 Kms. My mind had refused to run after my shocking failure at the Hamilton Marathon. I was told a couple of years ago that my body has the ability and capability to run a 3 hour marathon. But I lack discipline. I guess that has something to do with my Latin American background. For example last Friday I went to bed around 3 AM. Got up at 7:30 AM. I slept the whole afternoon on Saturday and at night I attended the birthday of a friend at a Portuguese restaurant in Toronto. I drank too much wine and I came back home at 2 AM. I woke up at 8 AM this morning and decided to go and register meself in the 10 miler at 9 AM. After all the race is only 10 minutes away drive from my home. The race started at 11:15 AM approximately.

This morning I met a friend (who lives in Whitby) just before the start of the race but he left after the start because he had to attend a family gathering with his children

The race this morning: My time for the 10 Miler was 1 hour, 19 minutes and 35 seconds. (far away from my 1999 PB of 1 hour 13 minutes and 47 seconds).
During the race, I managed to pull the first 5 Km in 23 minutes and 43 seconds.
At 8 Km my time was 38 minutes and 50 seconds;
and at 10 Km … 49 minutes and 17 seconds.

At about 15 and ½ Km the always pretty Robin from Robinmania.com :D shouted my nickname. Nice seeing you Robin even if it was just for a couple of seconds….

I ate chilli and beer after the race.
Last edited by AlfiefromPickering on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:30 pm

I did this one last year, and I really should have run it again.

Good work alfie!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: 10 Miler Whitby Report plus a bit of whining

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey Alife it was a rough day out there with that headwind...at times I was running and it felt like I wasn't moving. I ran the 5K and had to stop and walk a couple of times, and I've never done that in a 5K! My daughter ran the 1K today as well. It was nice to see you out there. I think your time was pretty good especially if you haven't been running much. I would celebrate that! WTG!

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 pm

nothing wrong with your time today. don't get too down on yourself - not too many people can run 2 marathons in a week like you have done in the past.

are you running for fun or running for time goals? if you are running for time then maybe you are right that a little more dedication and focus is in order. it's likely 99.9% mental.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:19 pm

You're getting yourself out there. Maybe you need to just run for health and enjoyment.
Good job!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Don't get so down on yourself because of your recent results! As I recall you hadn't done much training before Toronto and then tried to crash-train for Hamilton. Our bodies need more time to adapt than that. If you do the training I'm sure you will see the results. You can't fake the marathon.

I'm glad you felt better after today's race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:48 am

Nothing like a run and whine after a night of wine unless of course you top it off with early morning chili and beer. At least, gastro issues shoudln't be much of challenge for you afer that "training".

I'll go out on a limb and agree that perhaps following a training program and putting in the miles will lead to happier results.... also perhaps less wine and whine.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:39 pm

Popeye once said, "I am what I am". That rings true for you too Alfie. Keep on truckin' my friend.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Doonst wrote:Popeye once said, "I am what I am". That rings true for you too Alfie. Keep on truckin' my friend.

I thought it was the Jonas Brothers who said that ?

Though, the Village People said it best ... "I Am What I Am / Macho Man"

So soon after Hamilton, Alfie? I think you are one of a few people that I know that actually races more distance than you actually train, in a year ... :shock: :lol: :wink:

Will we be seeing you at ATB in 2012 ??? :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Hey Alfie, that's not too shabby at all, esp after self-handicapping yourself by drinking and staying out till 2am!! LOL. I don't quite understand why you're ashamed of your marathon performances however... you said yourself you hadn't trained! Completing the distance is something, anyway, and you know you can do a lot better with some training, so whatever... you'll train for another one properly and run it faster, but it's kind of cool that you can at least go out and do it on a whim!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm

If you enjoy running so many races in a year, why feel bad about it or hang your head? Obviously you like running lots of marathons with short time in between... if that's your thing then keep doing it and enjoy the hobby the way you want to.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 am

And don't even think about those three 60+ runners who beat you, one of whom was 70. :twisted:

Don't beat yourself up for times you get in races for which you haven't trained, just go and have fun.

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Impressive 10M time! Yes, running a marathon does not always go according to plan. But you are not happy about Hamilton and that usually translates into changes to your training strategy. I've always claimed you learn more from your tough marathons than from the "beautifully executed" races. I'm certain you will be thinking of Hamilton when you train for the next marathon.

Hamilton will help you!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

Return to “Run/Race Reports”