Lisa's two runs down Yonge

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Lisa's two runs down Yonge

Postby QuickChick » Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 am

And round 2... Sporting Life.
Earlier in the week, I said to my friend that I would pay someone to run this race for me. I was so not excited about it, so not feeling pumped up for it, just not in a good headspace. I mentioned in the other thread that my allergies have been bad lately, especially when I try to run fast. I can honestly say I haven't felt GOOD on a run in ages- I've been stuffy and I can't get enough air in, and I haven't felt fast in I don't know how long. Even at the Yonge St race, I didn't really feel GOOD, and I definitely didn't feel fast. I've also been really stressed out in other areas, and I just didn't want to feel pressure to run well. Over the week I tried to pump myself up, I promised myself new shoes if I ran well, and wine if I at least ran faster than last time... but my heart just was NOT into running today.

I felt all right for the first 5K- I actually paced reasonably and ran a bit over 22:00. Then the wheels totally fell off for the whole last 5K- I felt like I was running through mud and my head weighed about 30 pounds. At least my throat didn't close up. :roll: It sort of reminded me of this one horrible half marathon I ran in Ottawa before finding out I was seriously anemic... in the sense that I wanted to lie down and take a nap by 7K. I think it's more likely that my allergy issues of late were responsible, but I have been lax with my iron lately so it's a good reminder to start taking it regularly again. I did come home and go straight to sleep for an hour, too, so who knows, maybe I'm coming down with something.
I think for this course, pacing "properly" is not the best strategy... I really do run it better, obviously, when I run it stupid. I slow down, yes, but I have enough banked time that I still finish ok.

Anyway, my time sucked hugely- I have done many training runs faster, including one just last week, and I have run half marathons at a faster pace. Anyone who really cares can look it up. I know I ran a somewhat OK race 3 weeks ago, so I do believe today was just a flukey bad day. I am ok with it, disappointed but ok. I know it doesn't reflect my fitness, and hey I pretty much got paid to do it when you factor in the gift card. So, oh well. I'm not racing again till allergy season is over. So... till the fall unless I acclimatize. :lol:

Pat did well though! He has barely run in 3 weeks and pulled off just over 37:00. 8)
Last edited by QuickChick on Sun May 13, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sun May 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Don't feel bad for your flukey bad day. 99% of the time you have outstanding performances and allergies don't mix well with speed. Anyway you're still many runners' hero !
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Boo. I was hoping that it would still go off without a hitch for you today. Good reminder for me to take some iron too. Why do we slack with these things? Hoping that whatever is ailing you gets better really soon.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

DJHL
Bruce Kidd

Postby DJHL » Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm

That's hard but I hope you quickly get over whatever is troubling you. Every now and again we all run much slower than we are capable of. You have bounced back in the past and I am sure you will do it again soon.

Get back to a regular exercise routine

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun May 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Boo to a crappy race. But, you seem to be ok with it, somewhat. I think you still deserve some treats.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Still a great race Lisa, especially considering how you were feeling with allergies etc....
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun May 13, 2012 8:11 pm

When the heart is not there, mentally it is tough out there ... though, you toughed it ... way-da-go, Lisa ...

Now, time to rest up and recover and figure out that alergy thing of yours, 'k ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 pm

One good, one not so good. Overall though you are back into your racing zone and hopefully have a great running year!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”