My Ottawa Race Weekend 10K

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

My Ottawa Race Weekend 10K

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue May 29, 2012 2:30 pm

So, the last time I ran the ORW 10K in 2009, I finished in 1:12:29. This time, I was looking to finish much closer to 60 minutes.

The day before and the day of the race I was feeling pretty asthmatic, which was making me nervous for the race...but I chalked it up to pre-race jitters and "in my head" symptoms.

My roommate A, her brother B and I went to the race together. The loose plan was that Avis, myself and A were going to run together. B had a goal of 50 minutes, so he was in an entirely different corral. Pre-race, I had taken my puffer 4 times. I was feeling as though it was hard to breathe, and that was making me nervous. It was wonderful to see Avis in the corral, to put a face to the name and to know we were going to run together. The gun went off and it felt like it took us forever to cross that starting line (it did probably take about 5 minutes). My garmin was dead before the race (I should have trusted my instinct to charge it!), so even though I was wearing it, I wasn't going to be able to rely on it ;)

We head out, feeling pretty good, my legs feel great, and A tells us we are about 7 minute kms - perfect. I can do that for the 9.5k, and kick it up for the last 500m. I was happy with where we were pace wise, though it felt really difficult to breathe doing this pace. I was trying to listen to my body and stay with Avis and A. Those two were just a few pace strides ahead of me and I was trying my best to stay with them. I think Avis and I must have been leap frogging as we zig zagged through the crowd, since we each were trying to keep up with the other :lol: We saw ChrisL, but he was too busy chatting away with someone else to notice us ;) Thankfully while I started yelling "Chris", my former boss Lisa saw me and jumped up and down to cheer for me. How exciting!!

Then, we saw what we thought was the first water station up ahead. I said I was going to move to the side when we got there and take my puffer. Bad news to have to take it around the 3k mark, but I had to listen to my body. This is where A and I lost Avis. I don't think she saw me pull off to the side, and I couldn't see her when we got back in the crowd.

Framboisine pulled up next to us shortly after, but ran her own race. She, too, had tried to get ChrisL to notice her but failed :lol: She did tell us she saw Avis behind us. I yelled out "Pick up the pace Avis! Come catch us!" I really wanted her to be running with us, but I don't think she heard. Knowing what I know now, I would have liked to have gone back for her... hindsight is 20/20 right? I knew Al was at the 5K mark, and even though my lungs begged me to stop, I had to keep going. We went up the on-ramp to Bronson Street and I said to A "don't stop running. We'll pick off a bunch of runners going up this hill. You and I know we can run this hill. It's nothing compared to what we did in Half-marathon training!". And I was right. We went up there with relative ease, passing many other runners. At the top, we saw Al who rooted us on. When we got down to the other side of the canal there was a woman yelling "you're almost there". I really wanted to go over and drop-kick her. I was certain at 5.5km I was *not* almost at the finish line. I was wheezy, angry, and hurting. I didn't like her at all. I'm sure she meant well, so it's probably a good thing I didn't have the energy to drop-kick her ;))

Around here I told A to run ahead. I was cramping and needed to catch my breath. I walked for a minute or 2, and then kept running. I knew I wasn't going to beat my 2009 time if I walked. I needed to keep running. I was thinking of one of the signs Al, T and I had made the night before "If you walk you'll still be hurting". It's true. So run I did. Just before I got to Pretoria Bridge I really wanted to quit and find a medic. I knew my asthma wasn't bad enough, but I was just feeling... done. I felt awful. Mentally I was not there. Physically I wasn't there. It was just a mess. But, Jo-jo and Spirit were going to be at Pretoria so I had to keep going, at least to see them.

And see them I did. They didn't see me, but I cut across the crowd of runners to get to the side of the Bridge they were cheering on. I gave them each a hug, and I was so grateful they were there. I needed to see someone at that point. I needed that something. Spirit and Jo-jo, thank you. You have no idea what it meant to see you both there that evening. It's probably the only reason I finished the race.

After seeing them I knew I could finish. I kept seeing someone ahead of me and deciding they weren't going to beat me. I slowly passed a runner here and there, and kept moving forward. As soon as I saw the 500m sign, I gave it all I had. I pushed and finished with a chip time of 1:11:12.7.

As soon as I crossed the finish line I went to see the medics. I had had 6 puffs of my puffer, and didn't really want to put more in me. I wanted to slow my HR and my breathing down, and wanted to be near medics just in case. Eventually I got my wheezing under control and felt a little better. I walked to grab some food and find A and B - and Avis found us moments later. We took some finishers pictures together, and gave Avis back to C before heading back home. That race was by far the hardest one I have run. I just couldn't get my body to do what I wanted. I was so upset afterwards. I know I "PB'd" but it didn't feel like it. It felt hard, and awful, and like a death march.

Now, I am on day 2 of being sick. I have slept 40 of the past 48 hours, and understand why that 10K was so difficult. My poor body was fighting off something, and I was pushing it....
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: My Ottawa Race Weekend 10K

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Poor you, :( no wonder you had such a hard time racing. Hope you start to feel better soon.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Congratulations on pushing through it al, to the end, l Denise ... such a trooper you are .... 8)

Feell better sooner than later, 'k ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Wow, Miss*Smiles! You PB'd with asthma and cold germs! You would have really shattered your old record, had you been healthy. And yeah, I got sick of people shouting, "You're almost there!" when we knew darn well we weren't.

It was fun running with you for the first three kilometres, and yes, I do believe we each have a faster 10k in us! I look forward to our "do-over" race. Now take care, and get well soon! xxoo
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your tough day. You are one stronger runner and fighter!

I think you and Avis need to reunite for a second kick at the can!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue May 29, 2012 7:08 pm

You poor darling! I was really worried about you! So proud of you for pushing on! Hope you feel better soon, and I hope you find another 10 k for a do- over!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue May 29, 2012 7:31 pm

8)
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 29, 2012 7:37 pm

After all that, thank you so much for coming out the next morning to support the rest of us!

A PB is a PB is a PB, as someone wise once told me :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue May 29, 2012 7:50 pm

jes wrote:After all that, thank you so much for coming out the next morning to support the rest of us!

A PB is a PB is a PB, as someone wise once told me :)

+1. You are a tough girl. It's amazing how your body won't let you know you're full-blown sick until the day or two AFTER the race. Get well and rest lots. Thanks SO much for coming to support us on Sunday in the glaring sun.
Carm

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue May 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Holy Crow! I did not realize the true struggles you had, let alone that you PB'd despite them!!

Girl, you get EXTRA size5 fruit and crepes (and hugs) when you get here!!!

I am just so. Damned. Proud. Of. You!!! :-BD ^:)^
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Great job pushing through - sorry to hear you are sick though -- take care and get better real fast!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Good job on your PBS. That sucks about your asthma and getting sick. I hope a few days of rest will do the trick.

Bruce Kidd

Postby newbie » Wed May 30, 2012 7:08 am

Good job, all you can do is try and keep going and listen to your body. I am very lucky that my asthma is not as bad as yours. I haven't had to use my inhaler in almost 6 months.
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:49 am

Tough tough race. Not many things worse than the feeling of not being able to breathe. I know you'll be back at NCM to run a 10km (or more!) that will leave you feeling satisfied. Great job.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:03 am

Oh Denise - get well soon! :)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Wed May 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Sounds like you had a very tough race and I'm proud of you for finding the balance between pushing enough and pushing too much.

Feel better soon!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Congratulations again, and what a tough finish! I hope you get those breathing issues down.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Congrats on finishing the race. It is wonderful getting a pb. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 30, 2012 7:12 pm

I think this is a great race report...cuz I'm mentioned in it :lol: :lol: :wink:

Seriously...you were looking pretty happy when we saw you...guess it's the Maniac Power. I can relate..I've had a couple races where Maniacs gave me an amazing boost to help me along the way.

You're an amazing RM supporter...so it's nice to be able to pay it back to you. Yep...you ROCK!!!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Wed May 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Yowza! Way to push through young lady! I hope you are feeling better though!
Congratulations on the PB even if it felt crappy to get it...you did it.
Now rest up, we have an all nighter coming up! :wink:
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Wed May 30, 2012 11:17 pm

You fought through a lot for that PB! Nicely done and get well soon!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu May 31, 2012 8:34 am

Great job under tough circumstances!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu May 31, 2012 8:50 am

Thanks everyone :D

I was a bit sulky in my race report. I was so dissapointed with everything, but the more time that passes, the more I am OK with the results and the day. The weekend was really great, and I know I have a better 10K time in me. So, upwards and onwards we go!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu May 31, 2012 5:32 pm

Nice report and an excellent effort in tough conditions. Also I was really pumped to see your and the other maniacs cheering us on Sunday! Thanks!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu May 31, 2012 7:57 pm

Wow, you really did well considering your asthma issues and sickness coming on. And you still PB'd! The heat on SAturday probaby didn't help matters either. You should be proud!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Return to “Run/Race Reports”