Eugene Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Eugene Marathon

Postby Hammie » Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Grab a snack and sit down... this will be a long report!

My DH and I decided to go to Eugene last year after a kind of cr@ppy marathon year for me in 2012 (a DNF in Vancouver, a less-than-great Calgary Marathon do-over, and the NYC marathon debacle in November). Nice place, nice weather, and we could go on our own while the kids had a great weekend with their grandparents? Easy decision!

First, I’ll say if you’re looking to travel to a marathon, seriously consider going to Eugene. This is an incredibly well organized, well run race. The city is small, funky, fun... and they love running! They seem to think of every single detail. Package pickup was smooth and fast, and they let you try on and change shirts at the expo. Our hotel (one of the official race hotels) was very nice and low key, and had a great hot tub that we took advantage of after the race. On race day, the shuttles were fast and frequent both before and after the race. The course is planned out to minimize congestion, so that the first 10 miles or so is on roads when the half and full are together, then split once we got onto the narrower river path. I was right in the middle of the pack, and never felt crowded. On the pathway, all cracks in the concrete had been sprayed white so runners wouldn’t trip – over 16 miles of pathway! And finally, all the water stations and gel stations were well planned and staffed, with someone on a bullhorn shouting where to go for water or Gatorade. At the gel stations, massive flags were out to mark which flavours were available at which tables to minimize congestion. Oh, and race volunteers handing out bananas in gorilla costumes was pretty cool too.

Saturday we got up and went to watch the 5k. The race sponsor is a local pancake mix company, so they get a local speedster to run the 5k... in a pancake costume! If you beat Flap Jack to the finish, you win a year’s supply of pancake mix (4x10lb bags plus a phone number for more when you run out). This year, Flap Jack turned in a blistering 17:05 5k time, and only 4 runners beat him. He might have broken 17 minutes, but he stopped to high five all the spectators along the track before the finish! Some Flap Jack photos:

On Sunday we were up at 5:00, had breakfast and got dressed, then down to the parking lot for the shuttle bus. A 10 minute bus ride got us down to the U of O and the start line. Lined up for the portapotties, then found our corrals. Kissed my DH goodbye and lined up between the 3:45 and 4:00 pacers. Anthem, moment of silence… and then we were off!

The first 8 miles are a loop of some neighbourhoods that brings you back to Hayward Field. Nothing stunning about the scenery here, but lots of people out cheering (my favourite sign of the day – “The end is FAR!”) along the course. Highlights along this section: the ukulele band at the Montessori school; the guy inexplicably wearing a toga and waving a huge inflatable dinosaur; the older man playing accordion on his driveway; and the water/banana station with the gorillas at mile 8. Supposedly there are 2 hills in this section, but I only remember 1! One longish hill at mile 8, but not too bad. It’s also right through the middle of lots of student housing, so lots of people out on balconies and in yards making noise to get you up the hill. A few more miles took us past Hayward Field and out to the river pathways where we split off from the half marathon. I was feeling good at this point; I felt like I was keeping my pace steady and relatively easy, which was my goal.

At the halfway point. I was still feeling good. I was starting to feel like things were getting a little bit harder, which was par for the course. Thankfully, the course was also getting much more scenic, winding along the north side of the Willamette river. I ran past my hotel at mile 18 (not tempted to stop!), knowing that the turn around back towards the finish line was at mile 20. Here, we passed the firefighters' bagpipe band, then the "unofficial" donut station. The "unofficial" beer station was at mile 23, with beer being handed out by men dressed up like fairies in tutus. I'm fairly certain I wasn't hallucinating :lol: I wasn't that overheated.

Two things started to slow me down after the 20 mile mark; one, it was getting HOT. 23C and 50% humidity. It had been overcast all morning, but now the sun was coming out and I could really feel it. Two, I finally had to stop at a portapotty. After 17 miles of needing to but not wanting to stop, I gave in! I knew I’d need to drink a lot in the last 6 miles because I was getting very thirsty, so there was no avoiding a stop. I had a hard time getting going again – my legs were feeling a little rubbery and picking up the pace again felt awkward. I did admire the shirt of one woman in front of me at this point - it said across the back "ask your doctor if getting off your @ss and going for a run is right for you" :lol: .

I knew my pace had slowed down after mile 21, and I took longer walk breaks through the water stations. I was drinking 2 cups at a time and dumping another one on my head, but still feeling hot and thirsty. Between miles 22 and 25, I took 3 extra walk breaks outside of the water stations, but all of them short ones. Just before mile 25, I decided to suck it up and just keep going for the remainder of the race. My legs felt like jello, and I could feel my hamstrings starting to suggest that they might be cramping up in the near future if the rest of me kept this foolishness up. It was too late in the race for the complaint department to be open, so I just kept going. Turned off the river path onto the road and ran through all the corrals where we had started hours ago – so close! Straight ahead, then made a right turn under the gate that says “Hayward Field” to get into the stadium and onto the track. 200m around the track and done! I gave in to the cramping and just lay on the ground until they passed, then shuffled back to the buses and my hotel.

I didn’t wear a watch or garmin for this race – I’m trying to learn how to pace myself better by relying on effort. I had a good idea of how fast I was going and when I started to slow down. As I was running through the last 800m or so, I estimated that I’d be slower than 3:55 but faster than 4:00, and my 3:57:14 put me pretty much right in the middle of those! I’m very happy with how I paced this one – I was very steady until miles 20-21. Even then, it was mostly the temperature that was getting to me, and not that horrible exhausted feeling that leaves you despairing of ever getting to the finish line. The fact that it’s Wednesday and I'm still gingerly going up and down stairs tells me that I gave it the best effort I could, and I’m happy with that. I think I enjoyed this one more than my previous 2 marathons, which mattered a lot to me. My DH also had a great day - he took 6 1/2 min off his half marathon PB and also had a great time. We've both patched things up with Running :wink: . We might be double dating again for a while!

My splits:
5k 27:30 8:52 min/mile
10k 54:08 8:43 min/mile
Half 1:54:27 8:45 min/mile
20 miles 2:55:39 8:47 min/mile
Finish 3:57:14 9:03 min/mile
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Eugene Marathon

Postby deerdree » Wed May 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Fantastic report! It sounds like a great race.

Very nice time - I'm impressed that you ran it gadget-less! 23C seems quite warm given the lingering winter we've had. Nice job managing the heat!

Congrats!!

(Flap Jack is adorable)

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Eugene Marathon

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 am

Soooo happy to read this, and soooo happy for you!! Very impressed that you were able to pace this without gadgets -- you are obviously well "dialed in" to your body! Awesome.......

Enjoy your recovery (and the stiffness that comes with running a good race)..... oh, and the double-dating too! :lol:
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 am

Excellent! And congrats on the great relationship with your new BF, Eugene! :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:05 am

Great job Hammie! It does sound like a great event.

A year of pancake mix? :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 02, 2013 8:12 am

Nicely paced, Hammie .. Congrats ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Thu May 02, 2013 9:40 am

What a great race report.

Great read and sure sounds like a great effort as well!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am

Great effort and so cool to do it without a watch. :D Good job!
:dance:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Eugene Marathon

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks for the full report and congratulations again! :) Sounds like a great race to do sometime.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu May 02, 2013 10:36 am

congratulations on a fabulous race! (and great report! why am i craving pancakes?)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 am

Way to go Hammie!!

Flap Jack is hilarious!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 am

Congrats! Great to hear you enjoyed this marathon after your experiences in 2012. Impressive how you were able to estimate your finishing time without a watch. Sounds like a great race to do.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 am

Hammie wrote: (a DNF in Vancouver, a less-than-great Calgary Marathon do-over, and the NYC marathon debacle in November).

Congratulations on a great race. I'm glad to see whatever bad luck charm that plagued you through those three races finally released its grip on you.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Thu May 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Congrats!!!! 2013 is the year of Hammie :) and FlapJack!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Oh, Hammie! I loved your report which made me both chuckle and tear up! What a great race for you and the venue sounds fabulous. I'm so happy that the race went so well for you; loved the "the complaint department" not being open! Congratulations, indeed!! (And thanks for the pictures of Flapjack. :lol: )
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Congratulations. Well done. Great report too. Thanks.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Great job!! So nice not running with any timing devices and coming in bang on!

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Congrats on your great race. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Eugene Marathon

Postby Kelodie » Sat May 04, 2013 6:17 am

Congratulations! This race sounds very fun and nice. :)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun May 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Love reading the details of your race Hammie. I am so glad that things worked out so well, I knew that you and Marathon belonged together!!
Like that you ran without a watch/Garmin. It's something I do often and have to say that I find it freeing not to get so tied into numbers.

Congratulations.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 06, 2013 8:28 am

Congratulations, great result! Looks like a fun race.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon May 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Great RR Hammie, I'm so happy for you and to finally getting that monkey of your back. Well done!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 am

So happy you had a great race Melanie! You deserve it! Congrats on the PB :D
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat May 11, 2013 11:20 am

Great pacing, and this sounds like a really fun event. I've wanted to go to Eugene for awhile! Great results too... it seems like speed must just sink in by osmosis when you're there. 8)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat May 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Great report!! Nice result as well. Congratulations!! :)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”